Who uses Amsoil Saber at 100:1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like someone stated above, you have to remember that most commercially sold 2-cycle oils on the market (no matter who makes them) contains a lot of solvent, the Amsoil 100:1 does not contain these solvents. So at 100:1 your getting about the same oil protection as you would with a commercially sold oil at 50:1.

On my 44-year old Lawn Boy I have always used the Lawn Boy oil mixed at 32:1 as recommended, and as stated it is 44-years old and I mow with it every week.

My Stihl equipment uses the Stihl synthetic oil mixed at 50:1 as recommended by Stihl.

I've never used the Amsoil though I am tempted to try it.

Brother-in-law starts a lawn care business.

Buys brand new Stihl 2-cycle equipment:

- H545 Trimmer
- HL100 Articulating Trimmer
- FS110R Weed Eater
- BR600 Leaf Blower
- BG55 Leaf Blower

Wanted to try Amsoil Saber at 100:1 but was concerned.

Asked Stihl dealer for opinion.

Stihl dealer said not an issue to run high quality synthetic at higher mix ratios. No issues with warranty either.

Now going onto third year of running Saber at 100:1 with no issues in hard commercial extremes.

Amsoil 100:1 since 1973...

Shocked a Stihl dealer would say that. My local Stihl dealer walks the hard and straight Stihl line, which is use only products provided by Stihl.

Yeah, I was surprised myself. I later found out that this particular Stihl dealer used to race dirt bikes and had used Amsoil products to some degree in the past.

It sure is refreshing when you don't get the same old line - buy our average highly marked up product instead of something that may provide you better value...

Yeah, I just bought a Stihl trimmer buying the Ultra in the 2.6 ounce bottles works out to $34 a quart! I think I'm going to buy a quart of Sabre and I'll be good for a few years.

Yeah, I just bought a Stihl trimmer buying the Ultra in the 2.6 ounce bottles works out to $34 a quart! I think I'm going to buy a quart of Sabre and I'll be good for a few years.

I purchased Saber in the 1.5 oz packaging and put three of them in two gallons for around 56-60:1 assuming some stays in the package. For the last two years, I have been running this in my 2004 LawnBoy DuraForce 6.5 horse, my JD weed wacker, blower, and heavier Homelite 382 brush trimmer. All is well with little smoke at start up and then none. The LawnBoy was surging and this was a recommended solution and it helped. I mix it with one oz per gallon SeaFoam in premium 93 octane in accordance with the recommendation although I wonder if that high octane is necessary. It is working though.

I continue to run the saber at 80:1 in a bolens trimmer .The carb cannot be tuned and the saber allows the engine to get more fuel and start easier with much more power.My stihl saw runs good on any brand of oil.For that saw I like pennz. aircooled.
The pennz at 40:1 throws a nice oily film out the exhaust.Some oils form a hard cake on the muffler and I don't like that.Yes,that bothers me.

I think the earlier comments about thouroughly mixing the gas/oil mix and tuning the carb may have something to do with problems experienced. I just ordered a Stihl (pocket) tachometer and will use that in conjunction with attempting to tune the carb under load and fully warmed up. Someone said that changes in air temp., humidity, barometric pressure, etc. all have an effect on two stroke carbs and should be taken into account along with just rechecking the carb settings from time to time. Seemed to make sense to me. Plus as carbs get older diaphrams etc. do get stiffer.
Steve

We have two newer REDMAX trimmers and we tried running the Saber @ 100:1 the trimmers did not run as smooth and would be noiser. When you have ear protection on it is amazing how you can hear the weird sounds a 2-stroke make. I have no doubt that the Saber would adequetly protect our trimmers but we gave $400 for one and $450 for the other so we dropped back to 50:1. The trimmers rev better and run better so we'll keep it there. We used to run Stihl before the cheapened out the line and the Stihl oil stank to high heaven. The Saber is nearly oderless even @ 50:1.

I started using this oil at 80/1 and was using the stihl orange bottle. I will not be going back to the stihl orange bottle as it has such an oil smell where as the amsoil smell is much better. I use it in a stihl chainsaw, leaf blower and their little tiller and also in an echo trimmer. The stihl tiller was where I noticed the smell the worst, the others seem to keep you moving to get away from the exhaust.

Several years ago was at a AMSOIL meeting where they stated that the 100:1 was tested at 250:1 by the Soutwest Research Institute with no problems. This is also when they mentioned the test done with Stihl saw comparing Stihl at 50:1 vs AMSOIL 100:1. (this test was recently released)

When you guys say you are running Sabre 100:1 are you really running 1.25 oz/ 1 gal gas? I noticed a lot of oil bottles will just round up and tell you to put in 2 oz which is really 64:1. This all would be so much simpler on the metric liter system lol.

Some people do run it at 100:1, others various ratios.

I like 80:1, because I mix 2.5 gallons (4 oz. of oil). Plus I have a safety margin.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
When you guys say you are running Sabre 100:1 are you really running 1.25 oz/ 1 gal gas? I noticed a lot of oil bottles will just round up and tell you to put in 2 oz which is really 64:1. This all would be so much simpler on the metric liter system lol.

Metric can be easier. That's for sure.

I just mixed four liters of gas at 50:1 using conventional two stroke oil. I use a small calibrated turkey baster that I use to draw oil out of a 4 liter jug. I pull one oz. (28 ml) at a time and squeeze it into the fuel container. I used 84 ml (3 oz.) to four liters of fuel.

When I'm done, I rinse it out/off with the gasoline and put it away for storage in a plastic bag to keep it clean.

Amsoil Saber 100:1 two cycle oil is NOT ISO-L-EGD certified or JASO FD registered. RedMax/Zenoah will deny warranty claims if an oil that is not ISO-L-EGD certified and JASO FD registered is used.

A 100:1 mix won't provide the necessary safety margin I prefer.
The 80:1 mix widens the safety margin to protect the engine from seizure that could occur on that hot day .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back