Who to trust for LCD TV reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

What are the sites to see for good reviews of LCD TVs. I am leaning towards a Sharp Aquos (someday, but Im researching now), but would love to read a lot of good reviews. ive only found one good site, http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/ and the info there is sporadic at best...

Any good leads???

Thanks!

JMH

I would second avsforum. Those guys are fanatics and will over analyze their screens like we do oil.
smile.gif
I've actually been reading up on screens as I hope to buy next summer.

Avsforum is good, however I find them a bit too fanatical at times. I recommend cnet.com and of course, consumerreports.org. The lcdbuyingguide is also a good site. From my experience (FWIW) I recommend any of the Sony LCD TVs ... I have the KDL-40S2000 and it's an excellent HDTV.

I just got a 32" Visco HDTV LCD from walmart this week and I must say it looks every bit as good as my Other Lcd. All for less than $600.00

Quote:

I just got a 32" Visco HDTV LCD from walmart this week and I must say it looks every bit as good as my Other Lcd. All for less than $600.00

No offense, but I worry about claims like this...

And therein lies my problem... Is a $600 wal mart set going to look as good as a Sharp Aquos that retails for $2500 or so??? I doubt it.

Are the returns diminishing? likely.

And the biggest problem is that the sets are NEVER set up right in the stores, so I judge most any set as #@$%!.

Thus my confusion and need for more 'expert' reviews, FWIW... After all, you could be 100% right... Im sure the screen in the Visiuo set is made by one of the big players, and so long as there are no dead pixels, how much different could they be?!?

Thanks,

JMH

I got a 37" Olevia for 740$ shipped -50 rebate = 690$
It looks REALLY good.
not as good as as sharp aquos? probably not.
1/3 the price... yes
smile.gif
95% as good probably.

The thing you miss on the cheaper sets is the inputs
the expensive sets have 2-3 sets of everything.
mine has 1 hdmi, 1vga, 1 component, 1 composit, 1 svidio

OK, thats important info... I dont need 2-3 of all the inputs, and likely never will...

Why pay for them????

smile.gif
thanks,

JMH

How about just trusting your own eyes? You think the guys that work at magazines or frequent AV message boards are that much smarter or have better eyesight than you do? I doubt it.

Diddle around with the settings and then go with what you like. They're just televisions, after all - it's not like you're trying to visualize a tumor in somebody's noggin with the thing!

The problem is the way theyre set up in the stores like best buy, etc... not like the old tube tvs, all on the shelf and easy to access... I think if I brought my own DVD player, Id be hard-pressed to get it hooked up to the TVs that Im interested in.

Its nice to at least have some guidance, as there is usually a WIDE variety of performance ranges that have to be dealt with...

JMH

Okay, question: can the human eye notice a difference between 1080i vs. 1080p vs 720p pictures?

Based on regular & DVD signals.

If you're really serious about HD and plasmas and lcds and surround sound etc, check out the AVS forum, I think it's avsforum.com.

They're doing over there to home theaters and hi-fi, pretty much the same thing we're doing over here to oil. MORE than you'll ever need to know.

FYI: My other LCD HDTV is a Polaroid. Their is absolutely No difference in Picture quality. If I can't tell then why should it matter if a expert says otherwise,At least to me.

Quote:

Okay, question: can the human eye notice a difference between 1080i vs. 1080p vs 720p pictures?

Based on regular & DVD signals.

I don't know about 1080P; we have an older Grand Wega 50" that only goes to 1080i.

Sports, fast moving type of stuff, looks better in 720P. I can see the difference in that regard.

720p>1080i
due to the way the screen is drawn anything progressive looks better than interlaced. esp motion like football
action movie etc.
There are some differences if you buy a 3500$ 37" its probably going to look a tad better than a 700$

Then again its really hard because in the stores the signal
is all cRAPPED up, they are all unadjusted.. and its a bright warehouse setting vs your living room.
In the end I gambled on some opinions.. And the tv is fine.
If you are looking for a TV on a budget go for
Westinghouse, olevia, visio(sp?) you get what you pay for
700$ x (95% of 3000$ aquos) = good deal.
If you want really big check out overstock.com
for refurb toshiba dlps
you can get a 50-62" for under 1500$
add on a service contract for 300$ or so and you are good to go.

I just had to add this. I had my brother bring his Xbox360 Componet Video cables over so I could play my xbox in HD since My cables havent arrived yet. Well in the xbox 360 it has a option that lets you pick between 480p,720p,1080i,1080p. Well just for Giggles I picked 1080P and my tv went off for a second and it came back and in the top left hand corner 1080P came up I was thinking "Huh their's no way" So I plopped in a dvd movie and then it downgraded to 480P like its supposed to. So Im wonderin if they dint mislabel this TV. 1080P Tv for around $600.00 just doesnt sound doable.

The tv will convert the signals on its own.
it doesnt have enough pixels to display true 1080p
which is
1920x1080 (i think)
yours probably has something like 1366x768 (like mine)

Go to avsforum.com There are a lot of people that know a lot about electronics and stuff on that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back