Who said vintage oil is bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KL31
$2.20'ish per quart.

Don't you guys in the USA get $1 per quart deals on modern oil now and then?

All the time. In recent months, Shell Rotella T5 syn blend 10W-30 was on clearance for $15.00/10 qt jug and after the MIR of $12.50, the oil came to 25 cents a quart.
Havoline synthetic is currently on clearance at $1.61/qt or $7.17/ 5 qt jug.
With MIR and store discounts, either M1 or PP can be had for maybe the buck a quart you cite. I bought a couple of jugs of PP in this way a week ago and they ended up at less than a buck a quart.
That isn't of any importance to the guys who like vintage oil. They like what most would consider obsolete grades just because they want to use something a little different and not mainstream.
We have had a member here, don't know if he's still active, who had a nice 240Z. He was running oil in it of the same vintage as the car. If it worked in the engine in the early seventies, then why wouldn't it work now?

The seller has 2 x 55 gallon drums of oil. That's 440 quarts. If the buyer pays $500, that works out to $1.14 per quart. I'm not interested in it, but the buyer is not being hosed for purchasing some history.

"History"? "Vintage"?

What is this, Bobisthewineguy.com?

Seriously, It's 110 gallons of old, outdated oil. Nothing more.

API SE was obsolete after 1979. Hopefully this oil won't end up in anything that is tough on oil.

Some lube shop will buy them both and use the oil on modern engines, without telling the customer, of course.
They will then sell the purty drum, OR use it in the shop for nostalgia, to imply to the customer that they've been around awhile.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Some lube shop will buy them both and use the oil on modern engines, without telling the customer, of course.
They will then sell the purty drum, OR use it in the shop for nostalgia, to imply to the customer that they've been around awhile.

I'd doubt this. Too much trouble for too little savings and too much liability associated with using a long obsolete API spec oil that meets the grade recommendations of no modern car engine.
Still, on the 3K drains recommended by these shops and in the warmer weather months, either oil would be okay in most any NA port injected engine.
What we don't know will often not hurt us or our cars.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
"History"? "Vintage"?

What is this, Bobisthewineguy.com?

Seriously, It's 110 gallons of old, outdated oil. Nothing more.

Yeahhh, I can see collecting old 1 quart cans or 5 quart cans, but this is ridiculous.

What really has changed?

Old engines need ZDDP for flat tappet cams, so this is OK for them?

I'll bet it would run just fine for 3,000 in my 1996 4.6 with over 200,000 miles on it. There's nothing in that engine this oil would hurt.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What really has changed?

Old engines need ZDDP for flat tappet cams, so this is OK for them?

I'll bet it would run just fine for 3,000 in my 1996 4.6 with over 200,000 miles on it. There's nothing in that engine this oil would hurt.

No, it would not be okay for your 1996 4.6L...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
this looks like API SE

APIService20176.png

Unless you're wanting to cause possible damage, this is not safe for cars made after 1979.

Sigh....

Just let it go. You aren't helping anyone in this thread. Fdgc27 is a smart and valued member, and he doesn't make claims he knows better of. He never said he would, but that he could.

If want to harass someone, jump back over to my thread and make another comment on my canned fruit.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Sigh....

Just let it go. You aren't helping anyone in this thread. Fdgc27 is a smart and valued member, and he doesn't make claims he knows better of. He never said he would, but that he could.

If want to harass someone, jump back over to my thread and make another comment on my canned fruit.

First of all, I'm harassing nobody at all. Secondly, I wouldn't care if he was gosh dang Lee Iacocca, the American Petroleum Institute sets the standards, not him, not you, not BITOG. API SE has been obsolete for 38 years. BITOG is a place to educate ourselves about the processes of lubrication and filtration, about the chemical and physical properties of oil, and how different oils perform in different environments. If there's one thing that should be absolute certain about the information found here, it's that we only give opinions on things that haven't already been proven to be facts, or haven't already been set in stone. While it is true that we as long time members understand that a 3,000 mile OCI with the oil OP posted is not likely to actually cause harm to a 1996 Ford modular V8, lurkers and non-members may read this thread and think API SE is suitable for newer engines using OEM recommended OCIs, which it definitely is not.

Here in Europe we have a number of "classic car" oils that are sold currently that are rated SE.

Some classic car owners foolishly buy them because they come in nice old school tin cans, and because it says classic on the bottle it must be good right??

When in reality they are poor performing mineral oils that lack in detergency, and even antiwear additives like ZDDP which should have concentrations of 1000-1300ppm if it's an oil meant for classic cars with flat tappet cams but some barely have 600-700ppm, the only exception would be Shell's new boutique classic SAE 30s and 20W-50s which apparently have 2000ppm.

Who cares? There are much worse things in the world than someone using SE in SN applications.

If you dislike vintage oil, stay out of the thread.

It's the responsibility of the individual to seek education on these matters, not yours to be annoying when no one asked.

Petro-Canada has classic Duron CH-4/SJ and Duron Extra CJ-4/SM in both 15w40 & 20w50.
I wouldn't call those engine oils additive challenged or blended from obsolete additive packages and base oils left over from the 60s.
Same goes for Penrite in AU. Classic oil doesn't necessarily mean obsolete or only for classic applications like old cars.

I started mono-grade threads with the same result. One guy with no intention of ever using a straight grade posted something like 22 times.

Using an SE oil in a car that specs SN is stupid.
There are many reasons for a car to run correct spec oil.
Read up on it.

Heck people ran Fire&Ice motor oil in a modern vehicle so who cares

Jayg is running 70's oil in his old car also
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back