Who remembers Green GC 0w-30?

I still have some of the GC 'green' and 'gold' 0w30....both made in Germany and both SL rated. I don't have enough of either for an OCI in in the 2013 Toureg V6 in the family...I'm wondering if they can be mixed?
You can still find 0W30 on sale at AAP. Still SL.

Hello,

I was a user of the original SL formula German made ester-based (Green) product. This product was a "failure" here in OZ and was replaced with the reformulated product. This product was super-ceded again by later products here.

Doug
Please elaborate..."failure" in terms of popularity, or in performance ?

BITOG legend in the house !!

Great to see you Sir !

They get much too excited around here over just a few ppm fe.

I remember when there was much speculation about the exact composition of GC. Many of us BITOG members chipped in to pay for an Elemental Spectroscopic analysis (or something like that) to confirm what base oils were used.

Up until 5 years ago I had a qrt of GC sitting on my in-laws garage shelf. I wish I kept that qrt but didn’t think on how I would get to Texas from California, lol. Must of been 10 years old at the time. Ran that oil in my now wife’s beloved 97 Jetta.

I didn't know about this, but I just posted a different thread and will ask here. Did Valvoline have a similar green oil product? I have 3 qts of 20w50 Valvoline that I poured into a clear jug to check, and they're each the same color green hue.... I'd never seen oil like that before. Reading this thread makes me wonder if Valvoline had a similar product. Thanks.

Hello,

I was a user of the original SL formula German made ester-based (Green) product. This product was a "failure" here in OZ and was replaced with the reformulated product. This product was super-ceded again by later products here.

Doug
Great to see you back Doug!!

Hello,

Doug
Hello to you!!
Good to hear from Airlie Beach. Trust you have found a replacement for GC and life is good.
Stay away from the brown snakes and the blue octopi.
Hope to see you at the next Get-together with BITOG.

Hello,
thanks all for the welcome back to BITOG!
OZ like elsewhere has been severely impacted by Covid19 and Tourists from OS are rare in Airlie Beach
Your advice on snakes and octopi is noted - one brown and several greenies seen here last week, one green was in this lounge relaxing in the sun!
Night-dusk driving with Kangaroos or feral pigs around is a worry.................

I've been using Delvac LE 5w-30 in my petrol engines now for several years - purchased from a Wholesaler
One side result of Covid19 is the dramatic plunge in lubricant prices here, it supports the theories that we have probably been being ripped off for years! As well, there has been a significant realignment of fuel retailers and Mobil 1 in any form is rarely seen on the shelves of well know parts and accessory retailers

Yes, another Get-together for BITOG - Internationally we can only wish in the meantime

I didn't know about this, but I just posted a different thread and will ask here. Did Valvoline have a similar green oil product? I have 3 qts of 20w50 Valvoline that I poured into a clear jug to check, and they're each the same color green hue.... I'd never seen oil like that before. Reading this thread makes me wonder if Valvoline had a similar product. Thanks.
No.

So exactly what shade of green was it? (ha-ha, but serious)
Haven't been on this site for a long time. I no longer have the '03 Passat V6 that I bought new, but this was the smoothest oil I ever tried in it. Bought a big stash and then sold off a lot of it to folks here. My engine just seemed more quiet and smooth at higher rpm's with this stuff. Here's a pic I took and posted here many years ago.

Attachments

• DSCF0172.JPG
    DSCF0172.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Your advice on snakes and octopi is noted - one brown and several greenies seen here last week, one green was in this lounge relaxing in the sun!
Welcome back! Now to important matters... it's "octopuses" (modern English) or "octopodes" (if you want to hold on to the Greek, not Latin, origins).

GC was certainly quite a craze. I was on the forums (obviously with a different account- forgot my old login info and created a new one after several inactive years) at the time while in college. From what I recall, I don't think GC actually really took off on these forums until it was already on the way out (in favor of the gold Belgian Castrol). I want to say much of the known supply was found either when it was on clearance or pulled from the dusty back reaches of the shelves, forgotten amongst the bottles of American 0W-30. It was an interesting oil, and I had always wished I had a chance to use it. The silliness with elves and such did go overboard for my tastes though.

Other flashbacks to those days that make me chuckle now: the complete disdain in which almost all Fram products were held (now probably the most commonly cited "good" filter that is widely available), the high regard in which Purolator filters were held (now probably the most hated filter on here), the shock and horror when we discovered the plastic ecore in our beloved Champ Labs Supertech filters, the way Valvoline products (except Maxlife) were largely treated as the Fram of the oil section, etc.

GC was certainly quite a craze. I was on the forums (obviously with a different account- forgot my old login info and created a new one after several inactive years) at the time while in college. From what I recall, I don't think GC actually really took off on these forums until it was already on the way out (in favor of the gold Belgian Castrol). I want to say much of the known supply was found either when it was on clearance or pulled from the dusty back reaches of the shelves, forgotten amongst the bottles of American 0W-30. It was an interesting oil, and I had always wished I had a chance to use it. The silliness with elves and such did go overboard for my tastes though.

Other flashbacks to those days that make me chuckle now: the complete disdain in which almost all Fram products were held (now probably the most commonly cited "good" filter that is widely available), the high regard in which Purolator filters were held (now probably the most hated filter on here), the shock and horror when we discovered the plastic ecore in our beloved Champ Labs Supertech filters, the way Valvoline products (except Maxlife) were largely treated as the Fram of the oil section, etc.
Ah, the good old days! I remember them well 😁

That's my recollection as well, that the GC craze began when AZ was no longer getting in new product and it became a much rarer find.

I'm pretty sure there was a subsequent non-green formula that was also made in Germany? I can't remember if the made in Germany on the bottle was a dead giveaway whether you had green or not, as I distinctly remember checking date codes while searching for the stuff. If memory serves, sometime in 2004 was the transition.

The old USA-made stuff had a yellow label so it was easy to identify.

Made in Germany stayed when they went to regular color. I guess green was that specific additive Ketjenlube (or something). I think there was a Made in US version, but died fairly fast.

Back