Who is running a restriction gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Specifically, one that you added aftermarket (it seems that some trucks get these OE).

Seems like a great thing to have/use, and Ive been inclined to try to do this for many years now. Never have.

Post your install pics if you have them, otherwise describe and let us know what parts you used, etc.

Thanks!

I have an aftermarket one on my 2001 toyota tundra v8. It's a K&N brand that is attached with a rubber grommet.

some pics (ignore the PS fluid filter)
0702091543-00.jpg

The blue half is the top part of the airbox.

The stock airbox has major restriction under WOT so that's why the gauge is showing restriction. I have modified the bottom part of the airbox (where it goes into the fender) to get rid of the restriction. I cut a huge hole where in front of the headlight is so I get some sort of factory CAI.

Last edited:
I have them in two vehicles so far ('05 Ford 5.4L & '00 Honda Accord) but will be installing into two tractors in the near future. My diesel pickup will require some thinking as it has an aftermarket turbo system on it that doesn't give you an easy spot to hook into.

I'm using Donaldson Informers, which read in inches of water or kPa.

The unit in the Ford installed on an existing and unused nipple on the air cleaner housing. The Honda required drilling a hole in the airbox and using a grommet, as shown in wirelessF's pic. With the Ford, I did a WOT run to about 5250 rpm with a clean filter and let that be my baseline.I will now watch for that reading to rise 2.5kPa and then clean the filter (an AEM dryflow drop-in element) at that time( a year so far). The Honda filter was about four years old when the Informer was installed, so the baseline was not accurate but I'll likely place a new filter in my stash soon so I can temporarily install it for a test and see how the old fitler is doing. By restriction alone, it's still good I just don't know where the baseline is.

Regardless of brand, K&N, Wix, NAPA, Carquest, FilterMinder and some others, they are all made by Engineered Products of Waterloo IA, so just get the one that is easiest for you. Amazon has FilterMinders for about sixteen bucks. It'll pay for itself the first time you don't needlessly replace an air filter.

On my '09 F150 and '05 Impreza I just drilled the proper size hole in the air box and popped in the grommet and gauge. It's that easy

Here is the informer as installed on the '05 F-150 5.4L . The indicator shows about 15 inches of water (3.75 kPa), which was recorded on a 5300 rpm WOT run. This one is marked as being manufactured by a Donaldson subsidiary in Hong Kong.

InformerLR.jpg

Last edited:
The instructions for the Informer say anywhere between the the engine and the filter. I have seen generic guidelines not to install them directly on an elbow or bend. I am perilously close to a bend with my install and may look for another spot just to see.

Here is mine

SierraCoolantBottle.jpg

It is a Fram gauge which I installed after cutting a hole in the air filter housing.

The air filter element on my truck is now over four years old/45k miles.

Needless to say, I went for function over aesthetics...

This one mounts directly to the box. There was a big, open space right up front--looked like as good a place as any. It's staring me in the face as soon as I open the hood, so I'll never forget to check it.

dh5km.jpg

Wow, I checked with the place where I get my filters, a Baldwin dealer, as Baldwin has a part# for a Filter Minder. They want $40 each, not worth it at that price when the filters are only $10.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay $40 for one. Plenty of brand new ones on Ebay are going for $20, used ones even cheaper.

I have them on everything but my Corvair. Doesn't make sense to worry about filters or change too often when the simple little device informs you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back