Who has changed a fuel filter to fix a problem, successfully

I'm wondering who has had an issue resolved by changing the fuel filter in an automobile?

What year model make, and issue resolved?

I'm curious, because I have actually never heard of a new filter resolving a problem. And GO!

Inline fuel filters on gas powered vehicles have gone the way of the dodo bird long ago; I can't think of a single vehicle that's currently in production that comes with one. The motive behind it was, of course, cost cutting.

If you look at the state of some of the injectors coming off of these vehicles, an inline fuel filter would definitely help. The sock filter, or strainer, on fuel pumps don't do much other than prevent larger particles from being sucked into the fuel pump.

With that being said, much like air filters that have been neglected, inline fuel filters that have been neglected and clogged up will impact fuel pressure and cause premature wear, and possibly even failure, of the fuel pump.

Good question. All I ever see is people saying how dirty they are when they dump them out.

I'd be super interested to see how it looks with live data/measured data when you've got a filter that's ready to be changed.

Inline fuel filters on gas powered vehicles have gone the way of the dodo bird long ago; I can't think of a single vehicle that's currently in production that comes with one. The motive behind it was, of course, cost cutting.
I'd say it's more they became unnecessary with how clean modern fuel is with the movement to plastic tanks, a sock is all that's necessary to protect the fuel system now without all the rust from metal tanks.

I haven't had to change a fuel filter in a long time on anything recent since most new models have the filter as part of the fuel pump assy. I still do routine fuel filter services on my older classics though.

I'd say it's more they became unnecessary with how clean modern fuel is with the movement to plastic tanks, a sock is all that's necessary to protect the fuel system now without all the rust from metal tanks.
That is certainly one way to look at it, although I would still argue an inline fuel filter is beneficial.

I run gas meeting Euro 6d standards, refined and imported from the UK, in all my vehicles. The Envoy does not have an inline fuel filter, as it was discontinued starting MY2005, and my injectors are routinely cleaned/serviced by @Trav every 50,000 km (31,250 miles) like clockwork. They all have stainless steel basket filters, which I believe are rated at 5 microns, and those basket filters are usually pretty filthy to the point where it affects both flow and spray pattern on an ASNU machine.

My older Ford pickup, (1991), has dual tanks, and a frame rail mounted in line fuel filter. And it's a fairly large one. It's easy to change, so I do it quite often.

I generally make it part of the job when I change out spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap, and air filter. I've never waited until it generated a problem.

The only issue is, the new filters no longer come with the 2 plastic press in c-clamps you most always break removing the old one. But all the chain auto parts stores stock them. So I always remember to buy a couple extras along with the new filter.

After installation the engine starts a bit hard, than usually stumbles and quits until the new filter becomes filled and pressurized. I can get around that by turning the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 2 or 3 times before starting.

That allows the fuel pump to prime it enough to where it starts quickly, and keeps running. I should add I've never had one leak. They seal amazingly well with those little plastic c-clamps.

Years ago I changed the fuel filter in my 1988 Ford Festiva. The old one was very badly clogged and the car was stumbling. When I blew into the inlet of the old filter, little air came out of the outlet. The new filter solved the problem entirely.

Also, I had a grey-market Mitsubishi diesel tractor with rust inside the fuel tank. The fuel filter was inside a glass bowl and kept filling with rust. Of course, changing involved repriming the fuel system each time. After several fuel filter changes, I finally removed the tank and used the POR 15 motorcycle tank rust treatment and epoxy coating kit to fix it. That with one last fuel filter change stopped that problem too.

can't type it fixed anything, but it was on the list as issues like tired relay(s), shorting pump(s) & blown capacitor(s) were tracked down..........
feels better when sending it down the road for another 172k-315k miles....

there was an old Chevy truck, but the sock in the saddle tank was overcome with sand/dirt/????. does that count?

Had an 88 E150 w/around 90k miles used for business purposes with a plugged fuel filter. It ran good until the van was taken onto the freeway where it shook, shuddered and the CEL would come on.. It also wouldn't go over 50 mph. A bunch of black grud came out when blown out of the filter. It was a big filter too (FG800A).

I had an older Vortec 4.6L Blazer 4WD I'd swap the inline filter on every 2 years. My current '03 SS Silverado has one too that's swapped on same schedule.

First clue it is clogged up? Hesitation when lightly tipping into the throttle above 45mph when you have full TCC lockup. Or it hesitates when accelerating into highway traffic on the ramp and engine hits about 3500rpm.

The newer Chevrolet cop car only has a tank strainer. The '13 Impala LTZ hasn't ever had a problem fueling up in it's life of top tier only gas. I'm guessing between cleanliness and solvency, but a tank sock strainer isn't as efficient. Who knows what is caught in injector screens or passes clean through them on a high feature flex fuel GDI that isn't simply bothering it.

🤷‍♂️

I'm wondering who has had an issue resolved by changing the fuel filter in an automobile?

I'm curious, because I have actually never heard of a new filter resolving a problem. And GO!

Dozens when I was working as a tech, and 1 on my own car. Lack of power when fuel demand got high was the common theme.

I haven't had to change a fuel filter in a long time on anything recent since most new models have the filter as part of the fuel pump assy. I still do routine fuel filter services on my older classics though.

Same here.

Probably the last external high pressure fuel filter I've replaced was back in the 1990s. Did that as preventative maintenance, not to fix an issue.

Cleaner fuel and plastic fuel tanks have made the in-tank sock/filter sufficient.

I would change the fuel filter on my E39 every 50-60k miles and would be aghast at the crud and muck inside when I'd cut it open. Same fuel newer cars are using, I suppose these fuel tank socks can catch it now. :rolleyes:

2003 F350, 6.8L, V10.

Truck towing a enclosed gooseneck trailer started to struggle going up inclines in Colorado on my way back to Utah. Truck really struggled on any grade on I 80 in Wyoming. Google search indicated a fuel filter. Replaced the fuel filter and problem immediately went away. I became a fan of replacing fuel filters after that situation.

1972 Toyota Corolla De Luxe 1600cc.
No start on a frigid morning.
No smell of fuel at exhaust pipe after starting attempts.
Conveniently placed gas filter invited inspection or I have truly psychic diagnostic power.
Fuel filter was clogged with ice. Swapped it. Drove on.
After thawing I smashed the filter open and it was indeed full of water.

You asked. Back in the 70s and 80s before gas stations had tight regulations there were incidents of vehicles getting dirty fuel. Fuel filters were clogging. Unfortunately most had to have the fuel tanks pulled and cleaned. Unless of course the car owner didn’t mind changing a fuel filter after stalling on the road. Then there were incidents of trash getting past the filters and into the carb with trash in the needle/seat that caused flooding/stalling and even under hood fires. The nineties everything got better with tighter fuel storage/filtering systems as well as fuel filters on cars brought on by fuel injection.

My first car was a 1986 Dodge Omni. And one day I was driving it home from work and it started losing power and stalled. In rush hour traffic. I finally got it started again and it started running somewhat OK again. When I got home I looked in the Chilton manual which suggested that the fuel filter could be the cause. So I went to the parts store to get a new one and it AGAIN started losing power on the way there.

When I replaced it, this particular problem went away but the car was still a POS in other ways.

1986 Jeep CJ-7
Gas tank was rusty. I could drive 10-20 miles and then the engine would start to miss. Would barely get to work before it had issues. Jump in after work and it would run fine until almost home, then start to stutter.

Someone suggested the fuel filter, so I changed it. Jeep ran like a top after that. I guess the rust floaties would gradually clog the paper while running, then settle out while it sat all day.

Back