Whiteboard or Blackboard in Garage for Maintenance Info?

I am now performing general maintenance on three vehicles. I like the idea of mounting a whiteboard in my garage with notes on various maintenance items, dates, mileage, etc. for all thee vehicles for "at a glance" reference. I am looking for ideas about what information to include.

At a minimum I am thinking (for each vehicle):

1) Date and mileage of last oil and filter change
2) Brand and grade of oil
3) Type of Filter
4) Oil Capacity
5) Oil drain plug size
6) Lug nut size
7) Last transmission service, brand of fluid, and amount changed
7a) Transmission drain plug size
8) Date and mileage of last tire rotation
9) Brand and Date of Last Air Filter Change
10) Tire Size

And maybe:

11) Transmission Capacity and Fluid Type
12) Date and mileage of last serpentine belt change
13) Date and mileage of last spark plug change

Does anyone else do this? What categories of information are useful and that I may have missed?
If folks do this, could you post a picture of how your format your board?

Thanks in advance!

Write it in a notebook instead of taking up space with a board?
I am a visual guy, I like to have everything in front of me at a glance... and I have plenty of room and an old whiteboard just gathering dust.

Sure, a notebook would work, but I am specifically asking about whiteboard ideas...

Yes, I have been thinking of doing this also. I'd also include common bolt/fastener sizes and other stuff like lawnmower blade bolt size, etc.

I know most folks are going to tell us all how they keep up with this with their cute spreadsheets or notebooks and I do both for maintenance history but I really don't want to fool with some electronic device when I'm working on cars.

It would work until someone erases it.

Not a bad idea for reminders and things like that.
yeah what if you lean against it and smudge it?

Dry erase becomes permanent-ish after ~6 months, too. And the markers might not work in the cold.

i use a small dry erase whiteboard from wallyworld on garage wall to note mileages and other datapoints. Being able to look from across the room is handy.

12) Date and mileage of last serpentine belt change
13) Date and mileage of last spark plug change
On many modern cars, those are done at 100k mile intervals. Hardly worth writing those on a temporary writing board.

6) Lug nut size
We have (4) cars three are 19mm and one 21mm so that was easily memorized. I'll bet you can memorize them the same.

10) Tire Size
When is that something to "know" (honest question) ? Only matters when it's time to buy new ones, isn't it ?

Each vehicle has a parts box and each box has quick-reference info written on the outside, such as torque specs, capacities, etc. I can just look over at the box on the shelf and see the info I need. For short-term tracking, I keep a sheet of paper on the desk indicating the date & mileage/engine hours for each service including oil & filter, transmission, differential, spark plugs, air filter, etc. For long-term tracking, I keep a computer document for each vehicle with full maintenance history (including repairs), plus notes, tips & tricks and full specs. All my computer files are backed up monthly with an external hard drive. Yeah it's a bit redundant to keep a sheet of paper and a computer document with the same info, but also I don't have to boot up the computer just to see the last few services done on each vehicle.

If you have the room a White board would come in handy but I dont think I would want all that info on it. Too much info makes it difficult to find what you need. I think the size of drain plugs and lug nuts would be nice, Any special notes about maint. that you always seem to forget. For me it always seems to be that the hydraulic filter screen needs to come out before I can unscrew the Hydraulic filter on the tractor or to remember the aluminum foil to funnel the oil filter spill to the pan. Most of the reminders are in my phone along with filter #'s, wiper blade lengths, belt sizes, ect. Mostly the numbers I need to remember when I am standing in the store and they lost the cross reference book.
But it would be great to have it to jot things down you find during regular maint that you need to remember or need to do next time your under it. My famous last words will be "I know I am forgetting something but I cant think of what it is"

I have the wrench sizes and filters written on the vertical leg of a wooden shelf in the garage. I suppose the right answer is a computer file where you can print a sheet prior to starting a job.

I keep all this info in the notes app on my cell phone and pull it up when getting oil filters and the like at the auto parts store.

I keep all this info in the notes app on my cell phone and pull it up when getting oil filters and the like at the auto parts store.
You would like my "notes" for the cars in our family !

2012 Honda Civic

VIN: XXXX

Oil
Engine oil: 0W-20, 3.9 quarts
Oil filter: Fram XX7317
Drain plug torque: 29 ft/lbs

ATF
Honda DW-1, 2.5 quarts w/ drain and fill
Drain plug torque: 36 ft/lbs
Drain plug p/n: 90081-PX4-003
Drain plug washer p/n: 90471-PX4-000

Filters, Air
Engine: XXX11113
Cabin: XX10134 (Fram)/5750 (Supertech)

Spark plugs
OEM p/n - 12290-R41-L01
NGK DILZKR7B11-GS (long-life), #95710
NGK LKR7DIX-11S (standard life), # 93175 (rated for 50k miles)
DENSO DXU22HCR-D115 (long life), # 3483
DENSO IXUH22I (standard life), 5356
Hex: 5/8” (16mm)
Torque: 13 ft/lbs (156 in/lbs) (with anti-seize) / 18 ft/lbs (216 in/lbs) (dry)

√ PCV valve: 17130-PND-A01

Wheel lug nut torque: 80 ft/lbs

Brakes
Front - slide pin w/ rubber bushing goes in TOP position; 25 ft/lbs
Rear - slide pin w/ flutes or grooves goes in BOTTOM position; 17 ft/lbs
Bleed sequence: FL, FR, RR, RL
Bracket bolts, front - 80 ft/lbs; rear - 55 ft/lbs

√ Wiper blades: 26” (D), 22” (P)

TPMS
VDO SE10002A

Headlight bulbs
Low-beam: 9006 (9012 upgrade)
High-beam: 9005 (9011 upgrade)

Remote battery: CR1616

Radio code: XXXXX
Radio serial #: XXX

========================

MAINTENANCE
- [ ] ATF drain and refill (3x)
- [ ] Change oil and filter (at ~126,189 miles - 3000 miles)
- [x] Replace brake pads and rotors
- [x] ATF drain and refill (2x)
- [x] Clean mass air flow sensor
- [x] Replace PCV valve
- [x] Replace serpentine belt
- [x] Spark plug replacement @ 126,540
- [x] ATF drain and refill (1x) @ 126,316 miles
- [x] Wiper blades
- [x] Cabin air filter
- [x] Engine oil & filter (Due around 131k miles)
- [x] Engine air filter (okay)

REPAIRS
- [x] Replace air intake tube (between air box and throttle body (p/n 17225-R1A-A01)
- [x] Replace blower fan/motor (p/n TYC 700257)

When I used to have more than one aircraft to manage, I had them all on a status board. The column headings were:

Aircraft SN
Current status
Status comments
Next due inspection/item hours
Next due 50hr
Next due 125hr
Next due 500hr
Next due TBO

It was helpful to have it "at a glance," but this is for 8+ aircraft and the information changed multiple times a day.

For my two cars I just use my brain and an Excel spreadsheet.

Coming from the Engineering side of things, I cannot track any set of variables without at least using a spreadsheet, so that is what I do. (I have so far resisted writing my own database-centric application, or buying someone else's, for only 3 to 5 vehicles' maintenance).

Also Blackboards/Whiteboards are intended for temporary ideas, not long-term storage. We had a rule at one place of work, never write "Do Not Erase" on a Whiteboard. "Keep until " however was fine, as long as it was not more than a week out.

But, the whiteboard you already own has merit. My suggestion - Track everything in a spreadsheet, electronic or paper notepad. Then put all the upcoming services on the board, scratch them out as you do them, refresh as needed.

I steal my daughters crayons and construction paper to make my maintenence schedule and oc reminders, then i use school paste to adhere it to the wall or use magnets to stick it on the fridge so everyone can see my work.

Back