Which weight for mostly city driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i get really confused when reading all these posts on different weight oils. Im not that good at understanding it all. Right now in my 97 f150 4.6 v8 i have 5w30 m1 full syn with the motorcraft filter. I used to use 10w30 m1 full syn. But read somewhere to try a thinner oil to save on mpg. But that hasn't done squat. I do mostly city driving 75% 25% highway. Im coming up on my next oil change and want to know what I should use? Im going to get this oil analyzed to see whats going on. I've got 104k on my truck right now.

Hmmm...you live up north, you got a Ford Modular V8, and I'll assume you don't race your rig. If it were me, I'd give Mobil 1 0w-20 a try. Do a UOA on both and post them here.

I see zero difference on our truck with 5-20, 5-30 or 10-30 Motorcraft oil.

Reasonably clean air filter, tire pressure, and gasoline brand gives noticebly minor gains. That's on highway miles, though.

I doubt you will see any difference with all that city driving on mpg.

Good engine tune-up, reasonably clean air filter, and light foot Plus try different fuels??

You could try the 0W-20 M1 if approved, also, but I doubt savings in City driving.

quote:

Originally posted by 97flairside:
Ok i get really confused when reading all these posts on different weight oils. Im not that good at understanding it all. Right now in my 97 f150 4.6 v8 i have 5w30 m1 full syn with the motorcraft filter. I used to use 10w30 m1 full syn. But read somewhere to try a thinner oil to save on mpg. But that hasn't done squat.

Well, Mobil 1 5w30 and 10w30 are the same thickness at operating temp, so you can't really expect one to give better mpg than the other. The 5w30 will only be "thinner" at cold temps, say below zero.

If you really want to try a thinner oil that MAY give you better mileage, you'll have to try a 5w20 or 0w20.

Thanks for the replies. I have experimented with different gas since the middle of spring. I did see an improvement with sunoco 94, but with the gas prices soaring i've started to notice a decrease in my mpg. So i took out my chip so i can use regular. Which isnt any better with the mpg.

Im going to try the 0w20 with the motorcraft filter.

Whats UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back