Which transmission pan/filter to service the ZF 8HP70?

My 2015 Ram 1500 has the 8-speed ZF 8HP transmission, and it's time to service it. While I do a lot of auto maintenance myself, I'm going to have a local mechanic do the job for me. He likes it when I bring the parts.

It's ridiculous that the plastic Mopar pan/filter kit costs $230 or more. There are ZF-branded, OEM pans on eBay and elsewhere for less than the Mopar. I see a lot of aftermarket options, including some aluminum pans with replaceable filter elements. The Autotecnica pan is only $110 on RockAuto. Dorman sells a plastic pan for $148 on RockAuto.

Anyone have any suggestions?

My 2015 Ram 1500 has the 8-speed ZF 8HP transmission, and it's time to service it. While I do a lot of auto maintenance myself, I'm going to have a local mechanic do the job for me. He likes it when I bring the parts.

It's ridiculous that the plastic Mopar pan/filter kit costs $230 or more. There are ZF-branded, OEM pans on eBay and elsewhere for less than the Mopar. I see a lot of aftermarket options, including some aluminum pans with replaceable filter elements. The Autotecnica pan is only $110 on RockAuto. Dorman sells a plastic pan for $148 on RockAuto.

$206 at FCP EURO. Perhaps it's the same part.

Dorman sells a plastic pan for $148 on RockAuto.

Why do you have to replace the entire pan? You looking to upgrade from plastic? Autotecnica has an aluminum pan.

You got an 8-speed transmission with what size engine?

Last edited:
Why do you have to replace the entire pan? You looking to upgrade from plastic? Autotecnica has an aluminum pan.

You got an 8-speed transmission with what size engine?
Mine has the 5.7L Hemi. The ZF 8-speed transmission is used on a huge variety of vehicles, including BMW, Chrysler/Jeep, Rolls Royce, etc. Some automotive writers have called it the perfect automatic transmission. It comes in a few variations, based on the torque of the engine it's mated to.

When servicing the transmission, the plastic pan is replaced because it has an integral filter and is designed for one-time use. Some of the aftermarket pans have replaceable filters.

Do all the ZF8 transmissions use the same pan? :unsure:

Here is one for only $40 on eBay
Three pan types for the 8HP and they have their own unique tightening torque specifications. (LINK)

Aluminum 4 Nm + 45 degrees
Plastic 10 Nm
Steel plate 12 Nm

The RAM transmission in the OP's vehicle uses the plastic pan.

Mine has the 5.7L Hemi. The ZF 8-speed transmission is used on a huge variety of vehicles, including BMW, Chrysler/Jeep, Rolls Royce, etc. Some automotive writers have called it the perfect automatic transmission. It comes in a few variations, based on the torque of the engine it's mated to.

When servicing the transmission, the plastic pan is replaced because it has an integral filter and is designed for one-time use. Some of the aftermarket pans have replaceable filters.

Last edited:
On top of that I think there are different capacities and shapes for different applications?

For example, there is a decent deal at FCP Euro for a BMW 8HP70 pan and fluid, but Im not sure if it will work on my RAM.

On top of that I think there are different capacities and shapes for different applications?

For example, there is a decent deal at FCP Euro for a BMW 8HP70 pan and fluid, but Im not sure if it will work on my RAM.
The link I posted references different kits for similar transmissions. You could always email ZF and ask what's different. It could be something silly like the type of fastener.

In any case ZF Aftermarket website will provide more detailed information but you'll have to search under Great Britain because of how ZF does business in the US.

OR you could email these guys and ask a former ZF employee. https://thectsc.com/

You could buy the FCP Euo pan and compare it to the one you have. My guess is that the fasteners may be different (Steel vs Aluminum) but same pans.

Last edited:
I did some homework on this matter since I have a 2020.

I reached out to ZF aftermarket, requesting a part# for the pan/filter assembly under the ZF label. ZF referred me to a distributor, Eriksson Industries.

The guy at Eriksson was helpful but suggested using the pan for the BMW 8HP45/8HP70. He said it will fit and I do not doubt him. However, based on the pictures, the one used by FCA is deeper and would allow for a larger fluid capacity.

In summary, there is no ZF pan available for this application - except from FCA/Stellantis. You need to buy from the dealer; I would not use the Dorman one.

Also, you will probably need a stubby T40 or one of these in order to access some of the pan bolts:

ae6b4d29-12be-41d3-8c3b-31db6d14f735-jpeg.137807

I did some homework on this matter since I have a 2020.

I reached out to ZF aftermarket, requesting a part# for the pan/filter assembly under the ZF label. ZF referred me to a distributor, Eriksson Industries.

The guy at Eriksson was helpful but suggested using the pan for the BMW 8HP45/8HP70. He said it will fit and I do not doubt him. However, based on the pictures, the one used by FCA is deeper and would allow for a larger fluid capacity.

In summary, there is no ZF pan available for this application - except from FCA/Stellantis. You need to buy from the dealer; I would not use the Dorman one.

Also, you will probably need a stubby T40 or one of these in order to access some of the pan bolts:

ae6b4d29-12be-41d3-8c3b-31db6d14f735-jpeg.137807

If/when I do this, I will buy a new pan+filter combo, replace it the first time and from then on probably just do drain and refills every 10K miles or so.

Pretty sure the bulk of any material the filter will catch will be caught before that first change, and not much will be generated afterwards so just draining and refilling should suffice (especially at 10K mile intervals)

If/when I do this, I will buy a new pan+filter combo, replace it the first time and from then on probably just do drain and refills every 10K miles or so.

Pretty sure the bulk of any material the filter will catch will be caught before that first change, and not much will be generated afterwards so just draining and refilling should suffice (especially at 10K mile intervals)
Doubt there is a need to do it that often.

Doubt there is a need to do it that often.

Probably not, but...

I know ZF recommends 60K mile complete change. Based on the amount the trans takes for a complete change (9 quarts, I think?) 6 drain/refills gets you to about 100% change (there is a spreadsheet/calculator on the web), so if you d&r every 10K miles you'll get all new-ish fluid by 60K.

Probably not, but...

I know ZF recommends 60K mile complete change. Based on the amount the trans takes for a complete change (9 quarts, I think?) 6 drain/refills gets you to about 100% change (there is a spreadsheet/calculator on the web), so if you d&r every 10K miles you'll get all new-ish fluid by 60K.
Pan drop gets you 5-6 quarts out of the 9.

Back