which trans fluid to use in ranger 5 spd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ranger bought new in 00. If you have the Mazda 5MT your lucky. Mine has the Mitsu 5MT. Complete trash that tranny is. No matter what oil fluid you use it shifts worse than a f-250. Most of the Rangers sold around here that had the Mitsu box have been changed out under warrenty. I sure wish mine had gernaded under warrenty. The replacements are the Mazda unit.

Anyway,,, I use M1 ATF in mine. Ive tried motor oils, dyno and syn. of diff wieghts. Almost all induced noise or worse shifting or both.

What ever oil or fluid you use in these trannys, change it often. I change mine atleast every other oil change. It has 125k miles on it now.

well i just swapped out the ATF that was in there yesterday and put in some amsoil MTF. It is a little smoother but has not helped my problem getting into first. I am hoping that the problem is in the linkage im going to search that next but it is a little smoother and seems quieter as well.

I ran Dexron III/Mercon in my 97 Ranger with the Mazda 5 spd till I sold it about a year ago with about 230,000 miles on it, mostly off road, loaded. Never had any transmission problems, but lots of trouble getting into 1st.
Two causes:
First, the plate holding the clutch pedal cracked, bending as you pushed, so the clutch didn't fully engage.
Second, the hydraulic slave cylinder.

quote:

Originally posted by psyshack:
I have a Ranger bought new in 00. If you have the Mazda 5MT your lucky. Mine has the Mitsu 5MT. Complete trash that tranny is. No matter what oil fluid you use it shifts worse than a f-250. Most of the Rangers sold around here that had the Mitsu box have been changed out under warrenty. I sure wish mine had gernaded under warrenty. The replacements are the Mazda unit.

Anyway,,, I use M1 ATF in mine. Ive tried motor oils, dyno and syn. of diff wieghts. Almost all induced noise or worse shifting or both.

What ever oil or fluid you use in these trannys, change it often. I change mine atleast every other oil change. It has 125k miles on it now.

If you bought it new in '00, it has a Mazda transmission. Ford quit using Mitsubishi transmissions in Rangers after 1992.

quote:

Originally posted by 01rangerxl:
If you bought it new in '00, it has a Mazda transmission. Ford quit using Mitsubishi transmissions in Rangers after 1992.

That's a relief with my '99.

quote:

Yep, that is because gear oil will destroy an M5OD. The syncros are not compatible with gear oil, and gear oil does not flow well enough to lubricate the parts that are splash lubricated.

Does that mean that mcrn is looking for trouble with the Amsoil MTL which is 10cSt thicker @ 40°C (than Amsoil ATF)?

Not sure why a thicker fluid would improve shifting? The higher viscosity (resistance) should slow down the works rather than improve it. Or is it that the thicker oil buffers the syncros more as they engage the gear teeth?

For whatever it is worth... I changed to SF MTF Glide a while back on my 5 speed ranger and it has been excellent. I would have to say it is actually enjoyable to flip through the gears now. I'm sure there are other good ones out there but I've been happy enough with the SF that I will use again when it is time.

I bought SF MTF Glide four our `05 F-150 with the V6/5-spd with 20k miles. Haven't put it in yet but looking forward to it. The `02 F-150 were getting ready to sell (V6/5-spd with 82k miles) saw just regular Mercon and it's def. a bit notchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back