Which Tools from Sears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Sears store is shutting down, and liquidation sales will begin soon. If the price is right, I might buy a bench top drill press. Or maybe another tool cabinet. When I visited the store a few months ago, the tool department looked a bit sad and barren.

After 4 decades of tool buying, I already have more hand tools and power tools than I really need (with the exception of a drill press). But as they say, "you can never have too many tools".
grin.gif

Are there any unique "must have" Craftsman tools I should consider? I don't plan on spending more than $200.

This 12" drill press looks decent:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12inch-dr...mp;blockType=G2

Last edited:
You get better prices when things are on sale at a store not closing than at stores that have a store closing sale. Seriously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You get better prices when things are on sale at a store not closing than at stores that have a store closing sale. Seriously.

This is very true. The companies that come in and do the clearance sales will put everything back at MSRP and gradually discount off of that.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Though somewhat presumptuous, I've experienced this as well.

All the Sears stores closed up here. They were caught boosting prices and then starting with weak 10-20% off discounts. The CEO and whole Sears team should be absolutely ashamed of their shady ways. Clearly to maximize their own pockets with no consideration of change, let alone bothering to spend any money to upkeep their stores. The execs all got bonuses for staying with Sears until the end while countless stories of employees getting S-crewed. Im happy they went under but wish the execs had it harder going. They are the reason for its failure up here. They needed to get younger people to run the show who were willing to change things.

Sorry for the rant lol.

I did get a winter jacket for cheap. I looked for a deal on a snowblower but they only had 2 floor models left when they were 25% off, still 700-800$ each and useless warranty...no thanks. Their tools, meh..guess it depends whats left by the time the deals get good enough. I wish you luck but too many ppl are willing to get sucked into buying stuff with only 10% off since its a "store closing sale".

If you are getting the newer Craftsman tools made by Stanley/ Black and Decker, I’m not sure you are getting anything that is worth it. They are not the same Craftsman as in older days.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
My local Sears store is shutting down, and liquidation sales will begin soon. If the price is right, I might buy a bench top drill press. Or maybe another tool cabinet. When I visited the store a few months ago, the tool department looked a bit sad and barren.

After 4 decades of tool buying, I already have more hand tools and power tools than I really need (with the exception of a drill press). But as they say, "you can never have too many tools".
grin.gif

Are there any unique "must have" Craftsman tools I should consider? I don't plan on spending more than $200.

This 12" drill press looks decent:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12inch-dr...mp;blockType=G2

Buy something old and built like a tank from Craigslist.

Craftsman tools made in the US should be decent.

I worked in the Sears tool area to earn hobby money 2 years ago.

Best sales were stuff in the back room that corp decided to close out. I got my larger rolling chest and cabinet at a close out sale. (Plus employee discount of course).

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
My local Sears store is shutting down, and liquidation sales will begin soon. If the price is right,

Don't expect any bargains. Sears has got a lot of experience with store closing sales now.

First off, everything gets marked up to the already high Sears full retail prices, and beyond. Then the clearance begins with 10-20% off those prices. This goes on for weeks, eventually they get around to 30 - 40% off.

By the time it gets to 50% you may find a deal but the shelves are usually picked over pretty good at that point.

In my area the third world immigrants, whole families, swarm in like locust on these liquidation sales, filling shopping carts with items at mediocre discounts.

What I do is stash items I'm interested on a shelf behind something unpopular and wait for the markdown to increase.

Some of the Lisle tools and NOS US made Craftsman tools they have may be worth grabbing but that's about it.
What happened to craftsman is GD shame.

The Sears in my area is closing and has been having its liquidation sale for a few weeks now. I stopped in but didn't buy anything. Prices were not any better than I could find elsewhere

Has the quality of Craftsman tool boxes and cabinets gone downhill lately? The last one I bought was 10-12 years ago, and it was a quality tool chest. I still have the ones I bought 40 years ago.

One thing I noticed a few months ago was that their roller cabinets were priced much higher than comparable cabinets at Lowes and Home Depot.

Last edited:
I highly recommend their pry bar sets.

Maybe look for their magnetic pickup tools, picks and dental mirrors?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I highly recommend their pry bar sets.

Maybe look for their magnetic pickup tools, picks and dental mirrors?

Yes, if you see those telescoping magnets with the slip on sleeve, buy it. I cannot find them anywhere. They are made by Ullman made for craftsman.

https://www.grainger.com/product/16W183?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916771477!!!g!71852206879!&ef_id=WWf7IgAABHNNXGSZ:20180113180607:s&kwid=productads-adid^50916771477-device^c-plaid^71852206879-sku^16W183-adType^PLA

Last edited:
I just finished a NiCopp brake line replacement job on the old pickup, had to get some Flare Nut Crow's Feet to get at one flare nut, then I had to get a locking 3/8" extension to keep from pulling off the crow's foot every 2-3 "turns" (if you count 30 degrees as a "turn").

NAPA Carlyle struck out twice, needed it now, they had to order.

Parts stores had cheap Chinese junk.

Local Sears had both in stock, amazingly, both were made in Taiwan, and both did the job very well. I also ended up using the 12mm Crow's Foot for the extra leverage to really crank down on one flare nut into an extra deep junction until the line snugged up, and stopped wiggling... it did the job without flaring/rounding.

So that's what I recommend. Unless the Taiwanese tools have been replaced by PRC in the last few days, then all bets are off.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-metric-crowfoot-flare-nut-wrench/p-00942048000P

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-quick-release-extension-bar-set/p-00943355000P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back