Which tires to get for 2009 Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with the Eagle RS-A in that size but make sure its the product code that matches to the ones that are OE on this vehicle. I have had customers get 70k+ out of RS-A on their civic and havent heard any complaints on traction.

These ones : Eagle RS-A

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Discount Tire is a good place to get tires. They can probably work a deal to have 4 tires installed out the door for as cheap or cheaper than buying online, shipping, and paying mount and balancing. Plus they have to stand behind the tire.
+1 Free rotation,balancing,and air ups. Hard to beat a local DT.

I have looked into this a bit after this post.

The safest purchase would be Michelin Defenders.

All the other tires seemed to be compromises, the Defenders seemed most balanced and incorporate Low Rolling Resistance tech into the tire at the same time.

I can get the Defenders for about $530 shipped after rebate but I can get a set of Cooper CS4s for about $420 shipped. Which hits my $100/tire limit and is a tire with over 50 excellent reviews. Plus some of the reviews are after 40,000 miles in heavy rain and snow/ice conditions in Ohio and Michigan.

Has anyone tried this tire?

Last edited:
$100.00 per tire seems low for a 16" 55 series tire to me (We are talking about an LX right?).

I would pick the Primacy MXV4 @ 430 after rebate over the Defender @ 470 after rebate myself.

Got a BJ's or Sam's club near (and is there one where she's going to go) both carry a BFG with good reviews for about 115 each.

You never did say if there was a Discount nearby either...

Sorry no experience with the Coopers.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
You ain't listening. Best to buy the tires locally from 1 vendor.

NTB will price match anything I find on line. They have 1200 stores nationwide.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
$100.00 per tire seems low for a 16" 55 series tire to me (We are talking about an LX right?).

I would pick the Primacy MXV4 @ 430 after rebate over the Defender @ 470 after rebate myself.

Got a BJ's or Sam's club near (and is there one where she's going to go) both carry a BFG with good reviews for about 115 each.

You never did say if there was a Discount nearby either...

Sorry no experience with the Coopers.

The defenders turned out to be $530 shipped with tax after rebate. But the MXV4 is a dollar more than the defenders. The Honda is an EX 4 door. 205-55-16H

Last edited:
1 local vendor is the way to go. DT prorates my tires if they wear out within the warranty period.

Looks like NTB offers the same BFG for 108 each installed, it garners a 7.7 in tire rack reviews which is not too bad.

I note on TR that there are 2 Defenders (a T and an H) and 2 MXV4's (an H and a V) and 2 BFGs (a T and an H)

I notice both the Defenders and the T rated BFG are rated Traction A and Temp B

Where as both Primacy MXV4 and the H rated BFG are A A

(H is the spec for this car no?)

The Michelins are all rated in the low 8's for TR consumer reviews.

For comparison the OE GoodYear is rated AA and 5.5 and the OE Bridgestone 4.7 and AA.

I think NTB is now owned by Sears right?

NTB's website shows the:
H rated Primacy at 150.99 each installed (603.96 - 70.00 = 533.96)
H rated Defender at 155.99 each installed (623.84 - 70.00 = 553.84)
H rated Advantage T/A at 108.99 each installed (435.96)

The have the $70.00 rebate on the Michelins.

I think only the DX/VP and Si differ in tire size, was just trying to make sure we were on the right size.

Last edited:

Where as both Primacy MXV4 and the H rated BFG are A A

(H is the spec for this car no?)

Yes, the Civic requires 89H minimum. The Primacy MXV4 was less $$ on Tire Rack and no taxes which makes them the tire of choice for me...so I got them. I spoke with the Tire Rack people and they said if there are any defects she can go on-line and find any of their installers and they will handle all service anywhere in the US. So at $480 shipped after rebate the Michelin Primacy MXV4 is my choice. Thanks for your advice everyone.
thumbsup2.gif
I appreciate it.

How about you whittle down the location a bit? "Midwest" and "6-10 state territory" isn't very helpful, and there are non-national chains in my area that I would certainly recommend if they have locations where she would be.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
How about you whittle down the location a bit? "Midwest" and "6-10 state territory" isn't very helpful, and there are non-national chains in my area that I would certainly recommend if they have locations where she would be.

I already got them from Tire Rack because she can get service from TR anywhere in the US

Originally Posted By: Doog
....Michelin Primacy MXV4 is my choice. Thanks for your advice everyone.
thumbsup2.gif
I appreciate it.

An Excellent choice I believe!

In addition to Tire Rack handling it, Michelin told me that I could take mine to any Michelin dealer and they would handle it directly with them as well. It didn't come to that for me and TR made it right and apologized for the inconvenience. (I think my problem was the particular rep at TR, not TR, you can read about it hear if you wish.)

Let us know how you like them!

I have had Tire Rack service problem tires in the past. They were pretty good. They even paid shipping. Plus when you eliminate all of the excise and sales taxes and disposal fees the price is better.

For comparison the OE GoodYear is rated AA and 5.5 and the OE Bridgestone 4.7 and AA.

This right here shows whats wrong with using Tirerack as your review source only. If you actually took the time to go search for reviews of the RS-A for that particular Civic, you will realise that over 90% of the owners like/love their tires.

If nothing, it proves that certain tires work extremely well on certain vehicles.

More examples
1) Goodyear Integrity for Toyota Camry ( OE fit )
2) Goodyear Integrity for Impala 225-60-16 size ( OE Fit , TPC Spec rated )
3) Dunlop Sport 7000 A/s for Honda Accords

Back on topic, someone recommended Dunlop Signature II earlier as well, I second that recommendation. Goodyear stores across the nation have a sale on that tire.

Originally Posted By: bourne

This right here shows whats wrong with using Tirerack as your review source only. If you actually took the time to go search for reviews of the RS-A for that particular Civic, you will realise that over 90% of the owners like/love their tires.

If nothing, it proves that certain tires work extremely well on certain vehicles.

More examples
1) Goodyear Integrity for Toyota Camry ( OE fit )
2) Goodyear Integrity for Impala 225-60-16 size ( OE Fit , TPC Spec rated )
3) Dunlop Sport 7000 A/s for Honda Accords

Back on topic, someone recommended Dunlop Signature II earlier as well, I second that recommendation. Goodyear stores across the nation have a sale on that tire.

If you filter the TR reviews to only Honda there are 101 reviews, mostly Civics and they go all the way from 1-9 my quick assessment is that if you took the time to count the Civic only reviews and average them the average would not fall too far off of the 5.5. But that is OK, user reviews are very subjective anyway and can only be used as a loose comparison. 5.5 to ~8.25 is probably significant.

I happen to like Michelins and you obviously like the GoodYears and Dunlops. That is OK too.

I'm pretty confident the OP will be very pleased with his (actually her's I guess) Michelins.

I have had 3 sets of Dunlops on 2 of our cars and while they did OK their Winter performance was less than desirable. I then got a set of Michelin's for my last SUV and they did really well in snow and excellent on wet pavement. So I am giving the Michelins a try. I have Michelin Energy on my car and the Tire Rack surveys match my own experience. What I look for in reviews is a similar size vehicle, similar climate area, more than 10,000 miles on tires, total number of miles reported. I find they are very accurate if I match my area (Ohio) to the survey. A survey from Arizona, Texas, Florida etc...is not too relevant to what I am looking for.

Just went through most of the reviews and most of the ones from predominantly Winter states Il, Oh, Mi,Ny, Nj, NH etc where you get 4 definite different seasons give an 8 or higher rating. Time will tell and I will review them after 20,000 miles.

Like Bogart said: "You pays your money and you takes your chances"

Thanks to all for input on my latest tire buying adventure.
thankyou2.gif

Well they arrived at 10:00am....now to stow them away until the car gets home from college in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back