Which Size Magnefine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering putting a Magnefine filter on my S-10. I already have a transmission fluid cooler I installed years ago, with 11/32 ID hoses, and I plan on splicing the filter into the hose. Magnefine comes with either 3/8 or 5/16 sizes, should I go under or over size?

I'm assuming 3/8 is the better choice for a tighter fit, but looking for advice from the "pros" out there....

TIA

I just found out a few mths back by reading that an 11/32 hose is made to fit 5/16 or 3/8 without a problem. I always wondered what the 11/32 thing was even about??????

So you can use both sizes with no problem what so ever.......Happy days. I use fuel injection clamps which seal better IMO. More of a pain to use but less chance of leaks.

Thanks. I think I'll buy one of each size, they're only $15 each on the Magenefine site. I would hate to cut the hose, and find my truck is out of action because of want for a cheap part.

I'm planing on doing a line flush when I do this, any recommendations on an inexpensive synthetic Dex II compatible ATF, since it will probably take like 15 qts or so to flush. I figure its time, low mileage for a '92 S-10, 30K, but still running the factory fill (which is still cherry red, BTW, if you can believe it).

Don't buy on the actual Magnefine site, buy from our sponsor who I assume is a wholesaler of some sort. He is great to deal with. You can email the sponsor and he will tell you which size filter.

If it were my truck I would go with Amsoil. I have it in my 94 Camry with 214K and expect it to go a whole lot further. If you have only driven 30K miles in 17 years, then Amsoil will be the last change you do.

Just order the 3/8 one. There have been a few coolers I installed, made by Long, that came with some 11/32 hose that looks like it has a fabric cover molded into the exterior of the rubber hose. If you have that particular hose, then order the 5/16 filter as it will be near impossible to push that hose onto the 3/8 filter. Otherwise, if you have a normal looking 11/32 plain rubber exterior cooler hose, you will be good to go on the 3/8 hose. Lube the barbs of the filter with some fluid and push 'em right on there. I like the idea of the larger filter connections to lessen the possbiblity of resistance of flow through it.

I used to buy Magnifine filters from another source on the net. The sponsor we have is not more expensive than what I thought was the cheapest source.

Sorry my sentence structure is not great, I just woke up.....

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Just order the 3/8 one. There have been a few coolers I installed, made by Long, that came with some 11/32 hose that looks like it has a fabric cover molded into the exterior of the rubber hose. If you have that particular hose, then order the 5/16 filter as it will be near impossible to push that hose onto the 3/8 filter. Otherwise, if you have a normal looking 11/32 plain rubber exterior cooler hose, you will be good to go on the 3/8 hose. Lube the barbs of the filter with some fluid and push 'em right on there. I like the idea of the larger filter connections to lessen the possbiblity of resistance of flow through it.

My hoses are the ones with a spiral fabric coating, and they are also pretty thick and stiff. Printed on the hose is "3 in minimum radius".

Like I said, I'll probably just buy 2 filters, the extra cost won't break the bank. I'm a spare parts freak anyway, I can't tell you how many things I have bought "just in case".

I'll report back which one fits the "oddball" 11/32 hose better, for future reference if someone else runs into this.

Follow Up:

I ordered both size Magnefine filters, and glad I did. I was unable to get the 3/8 barb inserted fully into the 11/32 hose, even after lubricating with ATF, and using what I considered excessive force. 5/16 fit much better (after trimming off the ends of the hose after the attempt to force the 3/8 barbs had stretched them a bit).

So, Bmwtechguy was right, I was unable to get the 3/8 filter to fit the "fabric covered" 11/32 hose, which I have.

anyway, got an extra 3/8 filter now, maybe that will fit my power steering line (?)

PS: did my own ATF fluid exchange during the Magnefine install. The original factory fill Dex II on my 1992 S-10 (30K miles) has been replaced with Super Tech Dex VI, so far so good after a couple hundred miles. Comments welcome, but seems like Dex VI should be a good ATF for my needs, after reading many BITOG posts. BTW, I have the 4 speed 700R4 (also called the 4L60) non-electronic controlled transmission.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
After you decide to change your filter, please consider taking it apart and posting pictures of whatever it captures.

OK, at the current mileage rate that will be 17 years!!!!

(yeah, I know, replace the filter before then)

Just to be contrary, I didn't use the clamps that came with the Magnefine (I installed five on three vehicles and a sixth is due to be installed soon). I used EFI style constant tension clamps.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Just to be contrary, I didn't use the clamps that came with the Magnefine (I installed five on three vehicles and a sixth is due to be installed soon). I used EFI style constant tension clamps.

Given that the clamps Toyota used to hold the rubber hose to the metal lines were the cheap spring clamps I felt what came with the Magnefine was at least a step up. I am not sure what the pressure is but I believe its very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back