Which show might better predict the future, Jetsons or Mad Maxx II

Not all resources will have to be depleted, only scarcity of critical ones, often abruptly.

I was infantry but for a first world country. When we look at the conflicts that we've had against third world countries, we see the lack of logistics and how little people can fight on. Afghani, Japanese and Vietnamese soldiers were regularly fed with only minimal rations, usually just rice and whatever else they can scavenge from their surroundings if not stealing them from the local populace (WW2 on both sides.)

For a non-military collapse (and I think the best example given our reliance on oil), Britain nearly had a societal collapse when their oil refineries were blocked by protestors in the early 2000s. Fights were breaking out at gas stations, people couldn't get to work, public transportation had no fuel, medical equipment and food couldn't be delivered, etc including products from petrochemical production. That was only for a few days too.o Now imagine if/when potable water becomes scarce.

Like @GON states, people/societies with less or nothing to lose will do desperate things when their back are against the wall with little to no options. An event that comes to mind is the airline crash in the Alps(?) where the survivors went an extended period with no food and had to resort to cannibalism to survive until rescue.

As intelligent as humans can be, are still animals and will resort to herd-like mentality. A little disruption of common resources can bring disorder; and when citizens start to stockpile supplies that are in short supply can exasperate the issue. We have governments and officials in place that are supposed to plan for catastrophic events but as we've seen lately a self-serving government is little of no help and multiple catastrophic events of different categories can quickly bring down a complex society (bronze age collapse.)
During Covid, toilet paper being unavailable did not make sense to many of us…” why won’t they make more,” was a common thought

Reactions: Pew
During Covid, toilet paper being unavailable did not make sense to many of us…” why won’t they make more,” was a common thought

That was the most ridiculous thing to me. TP is a great thing but people were literally getting into fist fights for a package of TP. Then bottled water, lysol wipes; pure commodity items that had no bearing on survival. I mean...people get into fights over shoes! So imagine those conflicts times a hundred once a real resource starts to dwindle....

That was the most ridiculous thing to me. TP is a great thing but people were literally getting into fist fights for a package of TP. Then bottled water, lysol wipes; pure commodity items that had no bearing on survival. I mean...people get into fights over shoes! So imagine those conflicts times a hundred once a real resource starts to dwindle....
I suppose many people were afraid they might have to go back to sharing a cob of corn with family and friends and that's why they stocked up. I mean, I would not share my cob of corn with anyone. Get your own or find a rock or a tree. 🌽:poop:

I suppose many people were afraid they might have to go back to sharing a cob of corn with family and friends and that's why they stocked up. I mean, I would not share my cob of corn with anyone. Get your own or find a rock or a tree. 🌽:poop:
When hiking my buddy was all about leaves. Man I can carry like 8 of those little tissue packets. I've traveled in China after all.

Plants have defense mechanisms.

He did use a rock once he claimed.

• Haha
When hiking my buddy was all about leaves. Man I can carry like 8 of those little tissue packets. I've traveled in China after all.

Plants have defense mechanisms.

He did use a rock once he claimed.

My only trail experience with that was the trail up Mt Whitney in 14F temps.....many things shrunk that day. I always carry a roll of TP in my hiking bag though, I can't identify poison ivy/oak from normal stuff.

Trevor Noah mentioned it on his show, where his background was from South Africa where TP was a luxury. His plea was in the line that running water would be one thing, but "You're in a room with a shower". He was basically saying that as long as one had enough clean water, anything could be washed off.

Trevor Noah mentioned it on his show, where his background was from South Africa where TP was a luxury. His plea was in the line that running water would be one thing, but "You're in a room with a shower". He was basically saying that as long as one had enough clean water, anything could be washed off.
@moribundman and a bar of soap!

Something like mad max and Jurassic Park but with viruses.
There is a movie called "13 monkeys" that represents the last 4 years really well but I bet hardly anyone has seen it.

This topic is getting crappy.
1711999090108.jpg

I used to say a combination of Idiocracy and Brazil, but I was only close. It’s a combination of Idiocracy, Month Python and the Holy Grail (“were an Anarcho-Syndaclist Commune…” , Life of Brian (“from now on, I want you to all call me Loretta, it’s my right as a man”), and Brazil (“Confess quickly! If you hold out too long you could jeopardize your credit rating.”).

We are living Idiocracy right now. The future is going to be like Blade Runner mixed with The Road Warrior, a sprinkling of The Children of Men, and a dash of Soylent Green, and maybe a touch of 28 Days Later. It's not going to be anything like Star Trek the original series or The Next Generation.
I'm hoping no "Soylent Green" for our future... :oops:

Too much optimism in here.

Anyone ever read/watched The Road? That, but less happy.
Hah! I always mix up Cormac McCarthy in my head with Larry McMurtry. McMurtry is more of a classic western novelist but both authors end always up in the same place. People start losing body parts and end up dead.

Back