Which Rotella for Winter - 10w30 or 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

I changed the 302 gasser in my 95 Bronco over to Rotella 15w40 and noticed some improvements almost immediately. The oil clouded up as if it had disolved some grunge and the engine was much more responsive. The constant weep from the pan gasket also slowed down considerably. I'd like to stick with the Rotella for the next interval but I don't want to face the coming Chicago winter with that 15w40 in there.

I see Rotella 10w30 around here from time to time for 8.88/gal. The synthetic 5w40 is readily available, but it is at least double the price. Which do you think would be best for the winter? I am sure the next interval will see at least 10F and maybe even -20F at time or two. I don't doubt the synthetic is a better product, but is it really twice as good?

What do you all think?

Calvin

At those temps below 0, yes i do think that the 5w-40 is that much better.

X2

Quote:

Quote:

THe new CJ4 should be out soon. (Rotella 5W40)

More info please! Syn/Semi Syn/dino?

The new CJ4 product is highly anticipated as it is coming more than a year after the CJ4 Rotella 15W40. It will probably still be a group III. Delvac1 ESP is a group IV CJ4 synthetic- but probably quite spendy. No one knows the exact date of the CJ4 Rotella Synthetic- I have been checking the Shell forum, but nothing as of yet. They say it should be out soon though... stock up on old stock if it goes on sale.

I was looking for confirmation as I was certain that I had seen Delvac1 ESP as a Group IV- but now I am unsure. Can anyone confirm that? I know Delvac1 (previous formualtion) was Gp IV.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
No one knows the exact date of the CJ4 Rotella [5w40] Synthetic- I have been checking the Shell forum, but nothing as of yet. They say it should be out soon though...

Got an email back from a shell rep saying it will be available in the first quarter of 2008. Can't wait!

Originally Posted By: e36'n
Originally Posted By: D-Roc
No one knows the exact date of the CJ4 Rotella [5w40] Synthetic- I have been checking the Shell forum, but nothing as of yet. They say it should be out soon though...

Got an email back from a shell rep saying it will be available in the first quarter of 2008. Can't wait!

It took them long enough- the dino CJ4 was out fall of 2006...

FWIW, my method is to look up the record low temperature for my area, then use that to pick my winter oil "just in case". A quick Google search gives -27°F for Chicago, so were it my vehicle, I'd use a 0Wxx or 5Wxx oil. Rotella 5W40 is good stuff.
wink.gif

- Scott

I run the Rotella 10W30 year round in my Jeeps. No noises or problems at all......even in below 0F temps. I think you'll need to worry more about your battery than your oil in my opinion.

Right before the last cold snap I changed out the Rotella 10w30 for Motorcraft 5w20 semisyn. I've been very happy with the MC 5w20 in other cars and it hasn't disappointed me this time either. Maybe when I'll change back to the Rotella 10w30 for summer.

I am in a bit of a bind because the engine still seems to be shedding a lot of [censored] left over from the previous owner's poor service habits. I like the higher detergency of the Rotella but feel that it's too thick for winter here judging from the engine's noise and performance at cold start in subzero weather. While 10w30 may be acceptable, but the 5w20 is better since right now the truck is doing a lot of short trips and never gets good and hot.

Calvin

I'd go with the 5w40. i use rotella 5w40 all year round in my Dmax. flows real well in colder weather(gets quite chilly here in eastern canada at times!). our summers are pretty hot too. i tow a 32ft fifth wheel in the summer. UOA's have been very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back