Which Rotella for Winter - 10w30 or 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the 302 gasser in my 95 Bronco over to Rotella 15w40 and noticed some improvements almost immediately. The oil clouded up as if it had disolved some grunge and the engine was much more responsive. The constant weep from the pan gasket also slowed down considerably. I'd like to stick with the Rotella for the next interval but I don't want to face the coming Chicago winter with that 15w40 in there.

I see Rotella 10w30 around here from time to time for 8.88/gal. The synthetic 5w40 is readily available, but it is at least double the price. Which do you think would be best for the winter? I am sure the next interval will see at least 10F and maybe even -20F at time or two. I don't doubt the synthetic is a better product, but is it really twice as good?

What do you all think?

Calvin

Technically speaking, the "10" part of 10w is tested at -13 degrees F for cold cranking, and 5 degrees celcius colder than that for cold pumping, so -13 degrees is essentially the limit for 10w, safely. In reality, you'd probably want to make about -4 degrees the coldest you'd want to start an engine with 10w, although synthetics will be much much better.

Yea, you probably want the 5w-40 in there "IF" we got a really really cold spell come through. In all honesty, the 10w-30 would work, but 5w-40 would be a safer bet if a long string of sub zero temps comes through.

Calvin,
I am from NW Indiana, and Im running Delo in my 95 Bonneville. Id say either one would be fine, but Id use the 10w30.

You can buy 2 gallons of 10w30 Rotella for about the same price of one gallon of 5w40 Rotella Syn.

More for the money, IMHO.
thumbsup.gif

Bob

I often run 5W40 in the winter time here in Michigan. Right now my Camry's winter oil is a 50/50 mix of VP Raceing 5W30 Synthetic and Rotella-T synthetic 5W40. The mix is becuase I like ester's in my oil but also like the beefy additive package and TBN retension of RTS 5W40 so I blended the two. I might not do a UOA on this run becuase I have had a bad O2 sensor for a few months and have not gotten around to replacesing it yet. It is like $284 at AutoZone for a Denso OEM one and $210 for a Bosch.So between bill's and prescription's I have not had the money to replace it yet. I am probably going to get a generic universal next payday and call it good since I can get one of those for $44-$69 even if it only lasted 1-2 year's it will let me save up for a good one.

If I'm reading the specs on Shell's website correctly, Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 has a better cold cranking and pumping viscosities than many 5W30 and 0W30 oils. If this is correct, it would be just about perfect for many cold weather applications. I've been flirting with using it for a while now in my 1994 T-Bird (4.6 V8). I think I'll give it a try for my Auto-RX rinse phase, which will take me through the winter here in northern Illinois.

They make a 0W40 as well...I have only seen it in Canada. I think there is a 0W30 as well, I have a pdf for it but have never seen it in retail.

run the 5w40 year around in that PCM controlled gasser.
get a UOA with TBN at 5k miles, if all is good including TBN and fuel dilution, go for 10k OCIs
that engine and oil will do it will do it if well maintained fuel and ignition system wise
Mobil 1 T&SUV is also good and on sale often in gal. of 5 qt containers

unless you do a fair amount of heavy duty towing, I'd give one of the 0w20 or 5w20s a try year around, read Dr. Haas.

Quote:

unless you do a fair amount of heavy duty towing, I'd give one of the 0w20 or 5w20s a try year around, read Dr. Haas.

Are you sure? Keep in mind that this is an old Ford small block - '95 302. I read elsewhere that they were too loose to take the new, thin oils. Ford went crazy back-specing 5w20 into everything, but conspicuously left out the 302 and 351. I'm no thin-hater, 5w20 in the Taurus, but I'm not yet that comfortable with it in the old V8.

Calvin

HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

Viscosity @ 40C (cSt)
5w40 - 90
10w30 - 83

Viscosity @ -30C (cSt)
5w40 - 6400
10w30 - ?

They don't list any of the really low temp data for the 10w30 but they show a -40C pour point for all three: 5w40, 10w30 and 15w40.

What gives? If all I am worried about is service in cold weather aren't I better off with the cheeper 10w30 anyway?

Calvin

Quote:

HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

Viscosity @ 40C (cSt)
5w40 - 90
10w30 - 83

Viscosity @ -30C (cSt)
5w40 - 6400
10w30 - ?

They don't list any of the really low temp data for the 10w30 but they show a -40C pour point for all three: 5w40, 10w30 and 15w40.

What gives? If all I am worried about is service in cold weather aren't I better off with the cheeper 10w30 anyway?

Calvin

If you are worried about service in cold weather you should run the synthetic.

Quote:

I'd like to stick with the Rotella for the next interval but I don't want to face the coming Chicago winter with that 15w40 in there.

I see Rotella 10w30 around here from time to time for 8.88/gal. The synthetic 5w40 is readily available, but it is at least double the price. Which do you think would be best for the winter? I am sure the next interval will see at least 10F and maybe even -20F at time or two. I don't doubt the synthetic is a better product, but is it really twice as good?

Calvin

Up to you really but the Synthetic will be a bit easier to start. I used 10W-30 last winter if the Chicago Burbs with no problems and even got a FANTASTIC UOA.

Quote:

I often run 5W40 in the winter time here in Michigan. Right now my Camry's winter oil is a 50/50 mix of VP Raceing 5W30 Synthetic and Rotella-T synthetic 5W40. The mix is becuase I like ester's in my oil but also like the beefy additive package and TBN retension of RTS 5W40 so I blended the two. I might not do a UOA on this run becuase I have had a bad O2 sensor for a few months and have not gotten around to replacesing it yet. It is like $284 at AutoZone for a Denso OEM one and $210 for a Bosch.So between bill's and prescription's I have not had the money to replace it yet. I am probably going to get a generic universal next payday and call it good since I can get one of those for $44-$69 even if it only lasted 1-2 year's it will let me save up for a good one.

Why would you waste your money on making that mix of oil in a vehicle that will run for 500K on conventional oil as long as it's changed at the right intervals?

T

Quote:

Quote:

Good point, only exception to that would be in the places where there is extreme temps- especially cold ones. Like where I live.

Why would you waste your money on making that mix of oil in a vehicle that will run for 500K on conventional oil as long as it's changed at the right intervals?

T

canada.gif

Quote:

I changed the 302 gasser in my 95 Bronco over to Rotella 15w40 and noticed some improvements almost immediately. The oil clouded up as if it had disolved some grunge and the engine was much more responsive. The constant weep from the pan gasket also slowed down considerably. I'd like to stick with the Rotella for the next interval but I don't want to face the coming Chicago winter with that 15w40 in there.

What do you all think?

Calvin

At those temps below 0, yes i do think that the 5w-40 is that much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back