Which power tool brands?

Which power tool brands do you prefer and why? I'm planning to purchase some new power tools when the sales commence after the holidays. Both Home Depot and Lowe's have an assortment of brands. I've seen the following brands frequently: Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Black + Decker, Makita, Hitachi, Ryobi.
I'm sure there are many more.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

what I have owned over the years are Makita, black/decker and most recently Hercules line from harbor freight...I have considered Ryobi but home depot is a bit of a drive for me

Im invested in Dewalt, i have a lot of 20V cordless dewalt tools and it would be pricey to change brands if I wanted to but im overall happy with them for what I do, they have one of the largest tool selections.

DeWalt (18volt cordless drill, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, Screwgun)
Milwaukee (M12 & M18 cordless drill, right angle drill, torque drill, Impact driver, Inflator)
Hilti (aka:the beast - cordless and powered Heavy Duty drill)

Milwaukee and Earthquake and Kobalt for me. Laugh if you want but I’ve had excellent luck and experience with their power tools. I just bought a 3/8 cordless ratchet from Harbor Freight Earthquake and man the thing is excellent. It made my 1/4 universal fly apart and bent a stud of one of the bolts that has a stud on top. And I use my friends 1/2 Kobalt impact gun all the time and that thing is excellent too. And Milwaukee has great stuff too I have used those a few times.

I had Dewalt for years in the 18V format and they were great...until the batteries failed and new ones cost as much as new tools. I then decided to switch to Ryobi because I am DIY and do not need ultra high performance, the cost is reasonable, and they offer lots of tools. They do what they are designed to do, often better than the 18V Dewalt (except maybe the 1/4 impact...that Dewalt 18v 1/4 was pretty sweet, albeit underpowered. If I were pro I would probably go with Milwaukee or Dewalt unless I frequently work with people who like to take things...then I would use Ryobi to reduce the costs of stolen tools.

I used to be completely DeWalt, made the switch to Milwaukee’s Fuel line and haven’t looked back. I like that the M12 and M18 batteries can be used across the whole platform. I mean you might lose some performance with certain tools but they still work and get you buy in a pinch if needed. Some other tool brands are not that way. Plus my dad and I work together frequently and he runs all Milwaukee as well. Just makes sense for me.

Milwaukee M12, I'm not a pro, don't need very powerful tools and like the idea of smaller (in physical size) M12 batteries allowing to get in tight spots.
I have 2554, 2457 and 2504, also a heated hoodie that takes M12 batts.

I have Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita.

While bare tools are less money, the tools with batteries tend to be the better deal/value. Ive never been one hung up on staying with a certain system, I’d prefer to have that I perceive to be ”best of” or meet a need of mine. That’s why I’ve bought different tools from different brands, at different times.

IMO if you primarily want automotive tools, go Milwaukee.
If you primarily want drills and impact drivers, go DeWalt.
If you want a broader mix of saws, vacuums, etc., and all the usual tools you would think of, go Makita.

And if you find a killer deal on a brand that doesn’t meet this rubric, buy the deal. They’re all good...

Last edited:
Dewalt has been my go to since I started buying power tools. I strayed a little and bought a 14.4v 3/8 impact used on the SnapOn truck and was happy with the tool itself but the whole deal has turned into a nightmare. Back to Dewalt for me.

Back