Which PC: Dell or HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to buy a new computer. I've used Dell's and thought they were made well. My brother's boss is an HP fan. Any preference? Thanks
cheers.gif

Buster, I believe they just assemble components so there is probably little difference as they use similar if not identical components.

PC Richard had a package advertised this week in the paper for less than $400 after rebates. It was an HP.

Thanks GM. Your probably right.
cheers.gif

I really don't want to look that hard. I'm being a bit lazy about it. We had a PC built by my brother in-law and it was great. I'm just going to buy one from either of the two above. thanks guys.

I have been buying HP refurbs the last few times with good success. Dell also sells refurbs.

Within the last year we got both a Dell refurb laptop and an HP refurb laptop in the same price range. I much prefer the HP. Feels sturdier with a better keyboard, more USB 2.0 ports, etc.

I sell HP which is really Compaq with a HP badge. For home use either is OK but I'd go HP as they do more R & D. Now if you will hook into a corporate type network then things like Insight Manager and pre-failure warranty on the HPAQ stuff comes to the fore.

The hardware itself is pretty generic so shop on price if you feel confident enough to handle your own problems. eMachines is a good choice for price. If you think you will use factory support, that is another issue. I have had zero problems with the HP/Compaq notebook I purchased six months ago while everyone I know who has purchased Dell within the last year has had to reload the O/S more than once. Unless you buy the extra cost support package, forget about getting any help from Dell's offshore call center. We use Dell at work, but with our own custom software load and only pay Dell for hardware support.

I would steer clear of emachines--their power supplies die very easily...can you say low cost bidder.

HP and Dell are good machines, but both suffer from lack of upgrade paths. I build my own machine out of standard parts and can just replace memory, video card, processor, etc and order standard low cost parts, not high cost parts that only fit hp or dell.

For a good review of others that build computers try

www.hardocp.com
www.anandtech.com
www.tomshardware.com

Computer geek sites, but they have links to companies that custom build computers that dont cost that much more than dell or hp and can be upgraded cheap and easily.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:
I would steer clear of emachines--their power supplies die very easily...can you say low cost bidder.

From the research I did on the subject, eMachines use to be just plain bad...a poorly built machine built with subpar components.

A couple years back though, they significantly upgraded their line and are now offering good products.

I didn't know the bad rap on emachines
dunno.gif

All the weasels that I know with them never had a power supply take a crap. Heck my mom has TWO one is 4 years old the other 2 years old and they both seem to clunk along.

I have a Dell. Solid by not super speedy.

Does no one do the generic thing from Computer Shoper? That's how I bought my first PC. My next two, I built and now this Dell.

The price to power curve is relative astounding vs. 1995 or something.....(ok 86 to 00!)

I purchased a new Dell in January and I will NEVER buy another Dell product again!!!

The customer service is the very worst I have ever encountered anywhere anytime!!.

The company sales staff is in the USA but all other customer service staff is in India! I had an issue with the monitor and it took forever to ATTEMPT to get it resolved. I was LIED to on SEVERAL occassions with the service representive stating that they will send me another monitor. I would wait two weeks and call them again and they would not have any record of my previous call. This scenairo happened about three times until I sent the monitor back. Fortunatially I purchased it using Dell credit so I have disputed the monitor charge. They reportedly can't find the monitor but I have my UPS tracking reciept!

Additionally, their printers are made by Lexmark, but you can not go to a local Target, Wal-Mart or office supply store to buy ink for the printer since Dell has it manufactured to only use their ink carttirges.

My entire experience with Dell, after the initial sales call, has been totally unsatisfactory!!

Mulepacker - now that you mention the Dell India connection....I have a very similar story to relate from my neighbor. She bought a Dell and had a monitor issue....and got India! The person simply could not be understood. They said they would send a new monitor....so far no monitor!!

These alone now have me doubting Dell. When I bought mine Dell was still USA. Boycott Dell works for me!

i'd look at ibm iron as well. dell and hp just slap together bits and pieces.

you could get an apple as well, and run virtual pc or whatever the emulation program is.

Emachines.....No problems at all with mine, and not too loaded all up with that Dell/Compac(HP) 'software' that seems to kill a 'puter if you uninstall it.

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
Emachines.....No problems at all with mine

Yep....mine's doing great as well!

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T2885
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eView_17f3

The computer, monitor, and Lexmark Z715 printer all together cost $420 (after rebate)!!!!!!

I mainly use it for school-work and the 'net, and although it may not be the greatest thing out (so incredibly fast though in comparison to my old computer), it more than holds it's own...my old iMac could only pull 3 megs on the same connection!

-

[ August 02, 2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Go with a local builder or HP. Stay away from the mass produced stuff if you can.

I build the systems for free for anyone I know. Of course they buy the components I recommend. Never have problems other than "user intervention" (quick clickers) they read after they click.
nono.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 9600 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 91800 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

I tried building systems for friends, but got extremely tired of all of them wanting free service calls.

No longer do I build for anyone else.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back