Which one for 10,000 mile OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Perhaps M1 EP 5w30?

x2^^ or 10w30HM would be easy doable with a high quality filter
like a AC UPF52,Amsoil EAO23 or even a WIX,NG. i'm presntly doing a 8,000 mile in my 1995 3100 v6 up from 6-6,500.

10,000 miles/1 year+ would be no problem with the above,just keep an eye on any oil usage and keep toped off/full.

Amsoil is the way to go and of course frequent oil level checks! I use the signature series with the Ea filters and I change once per year with mileage somewhere between 10 and 15K and I have nothing but great things to say about how my engine runs on it, far better than the "bulk" penzs and wally installed fram filter that was on it when we bought it!

Originally Posted By: BUBBA0420
I am sorry but 10,000 miles is way toooooo long
I know someone that tried it on a Saab Turbo with Mobil 1
and had to replace the engine.

How was the PCV valve on that Saab?

I picked up the M1 EP today...Will get a good filter tomorrow.

I know we have to be diligent about the oil level, and this will only be a test to see what happens with the synthetic.

I think I may do a kind of "cleaning" with a Supertech filter and Shell oil for a couple of weeks before putting in the M1. Might there be an advantage to rinsing out the crud?

You will get some benefit doing one short oil change after that really long one. If you want to do some real cleaning go auto-rx website and get a bottle or two and follow the instructions. I have also used Amsoil engine flush for a quicker cleanup.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
You will get some benefit doing one short oil change after that really long one. If you want to do some real cleaning go auto-rx website and get a bottle or two and follow the instructions. I have also used Amsoil engine flush for a quicker cleanup.

How did the Amsoil Engine Flush work for you.

you could use a little MMO for five hundred miles with the cheaper oil and filter, then switch to the mobil 1 and the filter of your choice, the mobil 1 or any good synthetic should clean it out, if its burning oil and you need to add to it, no reason why not to go to 10k.

Amsoil 0w20. 12.1 Tbn, PAO/Ester.
grin2.gif

The M1 EP you picked up will work fine with diligent checkups. I would change her oil on a 6 month time basis as you did before. Just be more confident now since you have a slightly better oil :)

If it's still burning M1EP up, consider a high mileage oil to help with blow-by and do a compression test on the engine.

i would go with the m1 EP...my bros malibu v-6 runs great on mostly pennzoil...he ran it to 8k one time and didnt burn oil..still doesnt...al is right about it leaking antifreeze...that drives me nuts when people dont check their oil, only a bitgoer would care...right now we are running M1 hi mileage in it, i like it a lot

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You win the prize for being to first to notice that. What that prize is I don't know, but you win it.

Here is why I said that.

Car has 135K, runs 10K between oil changes, this time is was Formula Shell, do not know what was used before. Car holds 4.5 quarts of oil, oil was checked, 3 quarts low. I do not want to recommend Platinum or any other Pennzoil product for this application because someday, someone is going to look inside this engine and see this god awful mess and ask, what oil did you use, and the reply would be, Pennzoil Platinum. Well, that oil is no good, look what it did to this engine.

No, please use someone else's oil for this application.

I like the way you think!!! I've used similar responses in my business too.

Any good Synthetic will work, however, at the rate that engine is using oil, you or her need to "find the time" to be checking it regularly. Takes 2 minutes. And yes, if its a 3.1, check that antifreeze level as well, and if your oil looks milky....

Surprised by the answers by the oil experts.

I would scrap the 10K oil change. And running around on 1.5 quarts of oil for an extended period is not good.

I would clean the engine first with AutoRX if you want to do it right. If not you risk consumption similar to what you currently have. You are consuming 1qt over 3000 miles. That won't change.

Then I would just run 3K OCI with dino. Get coupons from the paper and mail and reduce the cost if that is your problem that caused you to want 10K oci's. At that mileage it's probaly cheaper to do frequent oil changes than add synthetic quart by quart to keep the sump filled.

Originally Posted By: Loogie
I picked up the M1 EP today...Will get a good filter tomorrow.

I know we have to be diligent about the oil level, and this will only be a test to see what happens with the synthetic.

I think I may do a kind of "cleaning" with a Supertech filter and Shell oil for a couple of weeks before putting in the M1. Might there be an advantage to rinsing out the crud?

If you don't have time to change it more often than every 6 months, like you mentioned in your original post, then why would you even consider a short OCI with Supertech?

I would recommend just having the vehicle serviced at a lube shop every 5000 miles. The owner has already proven that checking or changing the oil is not a high priority. Divorce yourself from this vehicle because it sounds like sooner or later it is going to break down from neglect and you might get the blame. My two cents on the subject.

As far as the 10,000 mile interval. I have used Amsoil for 6 month intervals with good results. Well as good as results that can be shown with a $30 analysis. M1 EP should be a good choice as well.

The M1 you bought should do fine, assuming the car doesn't burn or leak down to a critical level again.

If the car was running so badly that this lady took notice, I'm almost afraid of what damage was done, and what might be floating around in the engine. WFLIW, I'd run some cheap dino for a few hundred miles to flush out any chunks of the engine or globs of goo that may be present.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: BUBBA0420
I am sorry but 10,000 miles is way toooooo long
I know someone that tried it on a Saab Turbo with Mobil 1
and had to replace the engine.

Well thats a turbo. I have a friend that has 290,000 miles on his 2000 Taurus and counting on M1 5-30. 10,000 OCI

SAAB engine is on the list of SLUDGE PRONE engines
those engine requier oil changes done at manufactures intervals, with any oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back