Which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cheapest name brand high mileage oil you can find in 5w30. For filters, I like OEM/WIX/Purolator. Whatever is cheapest or easiest to get to. I'd change it every 7500 miles or 1 year. Whatever comes first.

At 130K, I'd go Maxlife 5W-30 red bottle and a decent filter. Prolly a Fram extraguard unless you have access to a close-by Napa store. Then I'd go Napa Gold. I'd change the oil at 5,000 for the first few times just to keep an eye on things.

I would definitely go through the PCV system ...

You may want to try a synthetic 0W40 several people inc myself say that a 40 weight seems to run great in the 4.0 Nissan V6.

Maxlife is available in 10W-40 too
laugh.gif

First of all look in your owners manual (The worlds most common BUT least read booklet) to figure out which oil to use both in SAE group and API/Acea category terms. If it says use an 0 or 5w20, think twice once out of warranty.

Stick to major brand oil companies like Mobil, Castrol, Shell group (Penn in particular), Liqui Moly and Valvoline, also if your engine has a turbo use a full synthetic, preferably a GTL (Gas To Liquids) or group 4 (Synthoil) base stock oil.
If you are burning or dripping too much oil, try Maxlife 10w40 OR use half a can of a major brand stop lean additive.

It's also a good idea to check the oil finder or guide page of the engine oil company web site for their recommendations, as OEM ones can change.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter. Use the weight which is specified in your manual for the temperatures you will encounter. If you have no issues, you don't need a high nileage oil and I would not use synthetic at this point. Change it at 5k miles, any brand oil/filter combo will get you there with no problems. Whatever deal I can get is the brand which I use.

Last edited:
WARNING: Make sure you BYPASS any factory "in-radiator transmission fluid cooling coil" and EITHER splice the ends together (no cooling circuit) or add a separate cooler (obviously the RIGHT THING to do).

Why, you ask? My friend bought an '08 Frontier and I've begun reading the boards (slacking off lately) and there was tons of talk on this.
You can guess the issue. Cracked plumbing led to destroyed trannies (and loused up coolant).
By the time my friend's twuck rolled off he assembly line the refit to external coolers had been made.
Just check yours.
Hugs & kisses, Kira

ps I know this doesn't deal with your oil question but you need direction.

Originally Posted By: Kira
WARNING: Make sure you BYPASS any factory "in-radiator transmission fluid cooling coil" and EITHER splice the ends together (no cooling circuit) or add a separate cooler (obviously the RIGHT THING to do).

Why, you ask? My friend bought an '08 Frontier and I've begun reading the boards (slacking off lately) and there was tons of talk on this.
You can guess the issue. Cracked plumbing led to destroyed trannies (and loused up coolant).
By the time my friend's twuck rolled off he assembly line the refit to external coolers had been made.
Just check yours.
Hugs & kisses, Kira

ps I know this doesn't deal with your oil question but you need direction.

Yes this! Go to the Nissan Frontier forums and you can read about the radiator issues and doing the bypass.

Back to the oil.... Any quality 5/10w30 either synthetic or conventional will work fine I like to run M1 0w40 in my VQ40DE V6 it seems to run fantastic on this oil. I would watch your change interval that big timing chain seems to beat the heck out of a quality oil so maybe change it no more than 6,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back