Which oil is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, hows it going. Ive read this forum for quite some time and have got very useful information. So I finally decided to sign up.

So I have a few questions on the type of oil that would benefit me the most.

I have a 2006 Subaru WRX that makes around 600awhp. It has a built motor, big turbo, and a ton of other things.

Few question: The motor is built pretty loose because of the amount of boost I run and am gonna run. I do get piston slap on a cold start then it get quiter but doesnt fully go away. Also I run E85 fuel. Ive had many cars in the past that were on E85 and it contaminates the oil pretty fast. Ive noticed that the oil needs to be changed around 2000mi because it starts to get milky from the fuel. I would think a thick oil would probably help in some of the piston slap noise/wear and the fuel making the oil milky.

Ive tried Rotella T6 5w40 and it seemed alright. The car was a little noisy with it. A little oil consumption, but not bad at all.

Ive also tried Mobil 1 15w50 SM. It seemed to quiten things just a tad bit. But I did notice that it consumed the oil pretty fast for some reason.

So my questions are:
What would be a good oil for my setup?
Would a nice thick oil help with some of the problems?

Originally Posted By: deven
Red Line 5w30 would be one of my choices right behind Red Line 0w40 as well.

Agreed.

Enjoy the power safely; I got a nice set-up too.
smile.gif

I'd go up to Red Line 10w40.
And start doing used oil analyses. You're really flying blind running E85 fuel and need to understand how much fuel dilution is affecting the oil.
On a custom-built engine like that, you're on your own, so you need to take extra precautions to understand how it is wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back