Which oil for the tropics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I'm new here to the forums.

I was just wondering, what kinda engine oil should I get? I live in Malaysia and we have typically 24-34 C all year round averaging around 30+ during the day.

I drive a Proton Satria 1.6Xli (Mitsubishi Mirage) 1996 with 130k Miles on it. My manufacturer recommends the following range for an atmospheric temperature of 30-40C.

1. SAE 20W-40, 20W-50 for -10C to >50C
2. SAE 15W-40, 15w-50 for -15C to >50C
3. SAE 10w-40, 10w-50 for -25C to >50C
4. SAE 10w-30 for -15C to 40C

As for my driving habits, I do travel quite far to college by highway everyday and also the usual stop go city driving. Ocassionally some spirited driving through some twisty roads where even my brake faded. I've also autocrossed previously but not planning to do so anytime soon. During the holiday season, I would travel up and down the country clocking about 300km on the highway.

Okay, now for the synthetics that are available:
Mobil 1 =
0w-40 (USD 50)
5w-50 (USD 43)

Castrol =
Formula SLX 0w-30 (~USD 50)
Formula RS 10w-60 (~USD 44)

Petronas =
Syntium 5000 API SM 0w-30 (USD 52)
Syntium 3000 5w-40 (USD 48)
Syntium 1000 15w-50 (USD 42)

Note: It is almost impossible to find synthetics that are 10w-30, only Dino oils. Older synthetics some in ranges like 15w-50, 20w-50. I guess we're moving towards lighter weight oils?

Anyway, looking to get better protection, improve mileage and extended drain intervals. Will the wide range, say 5w-50 give me problems with the amount of VII they put in there?

Here are the links to the oils:
Petronas Syntium
Castrol
Mobil 1 0w-40
Mobil 1 5w-50

5w-50 Mobil 1 is very popular Worldwide. Few here have experience with all these oils, except the guys from Australia. I believe a diesel-rated dino oil, 15w-40 is all that is needed unless cold conditions are encountered.

The Mobil 1 5W50 should work well for extended oil drains up to 8,000 to 10,000 miles. I have to agree with Audi Junkie about the 15W40 oils, they are good stuff. I good dino 15W40 should do well for you for 5,000 to 6,000 mile oil drian. This is all off the top of my head and I would imagine when you say that you drive quite far it would mean a lesser distance to me. When I lived in the Philippines far was about 10 miles. And here in the USA far to me now is about 100 miles.

If you are auto crossing and all the Mobil 1 is likely the answer.

If you can get the M1 15W50 go for that. You probably don't need the 5W and less viscosity spread with the 15W50 is better. Supposedly better additive package with the 15W50 too.

quote:

Originally posted by ferox:
Hello everyone,

Okay, now for the synthetics that are available:
Mobil 1 =
0w-40 (USD 50)
5w-50 (USD 43)

Castrol =
Formula SLX 0w-30 (~USD 50)
Formula RS 10w-60 (~USD 44)

Petronas =
Syntium 5000 API SM 0w-30 (USD 52)
Syntium 3000 5w-40 (USD 48)
Syntium 1000 15w-50 (USD 42)

Are you paying 40-50 United States Dollars a quart/liter for oil?
shocked.gif

Or is that a full sumps worth?
Or does USD stand for something else?

I don’t know anything about that motor so take my advise for what it is worth (not much) but seams that with 74-93*F temps year round and your kind of driving a thick oil could do well, you also have the blessing of your manufacturer to do so, I would use M1 15w50 but it is not on your list of available oils

The outside the US Castrol synthetics are suppose to be good stuff, have no experience them myself
dunno.gif

For your kind of driving environment where you have long distance high speed highways and hot climate, I'd recommend you start off with the M1 0w40 or the Syntium 5000 0w40. If you have oil consumption issues, then move up to M1 5w50 or even the Castrol RS 10w60.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
For your kind of driving environment where you have long distance high speed highways and hot climate, I'd recommend you start off with the M1 0w40 or the Syntium 5000 0w40. If you have oil consumption issues, then move up to M1 5w50 or even the Castrol RS 10w60.

Hey there Ken4, saw you over at the autoworld. That's how I came to know this great forum. Since you live in SG, what oil do you use? Have you tried the Syntium 5000 yet? Also, are the Mobil 1 ranges limited like here in M'sia?

In the 80s in Panama straight 40 weight oil was used quite a bit (never even seen it in the US) along with 10w40. Not that I would recommend that, but the cars fell apart from reasons other than the engine generally. I am not quite sure if there are any ill effects from using straight 40 weight in a country where it can be 80-85F at midnight on Christmas. I would definitely feel comfortable with a 15w50 but I think even with a 20w40 or 50 the car would probably do just fine. I don't know if anyone has UOAs on these type of heavy oils under tropical conditions.

I'd go with the SLX 0W-30
grin.gif

Fuel is probably not cheap there either!

You will get better fuel economy with the SLX or M1 0W-40.

Mitsu generally don't thrive on the thick oils. The heavy weights will just reduce you fuel economy and add to the heat stress.

At present, the 91 and 95 octane petrol in Malaysia costs RM1.37 per litre whereas premium V-Power from Shell cost RM1.39 I believe.

That works out to about USD 0.36/litre which is USD1.36 per gallon and USD1.38 for the premium. Pretty cheap I think. What prices are you guys getting?

Anyway, I will try out either M1 0w-40 or the SLX 0w-30 first. Hope that the 30 weight oil isn't too thin for me.

The Castrol SLX sold in Malaysia is the still the very thin SJ/A1 formula, not the newer SL/A3 formula that's sold here in SG and also in the US. I wouldnt recommend the thinner SLX for your 'autobahn' conditions where I frequently see protons whizzing around at 130~160kph. Climbing up Genting will probably make the oil temps soar to 110~120C, just imagine how thin it gets at those temps.

For long distance driving (anything >30mins), thicker oils dont really affect fuel economy anymore. i.e. the oil would have sufficiently thinned out to its more optimum operating viscosity.

Im presently using Fuchs 0w20 for my short trip city driving and will be trying out Motul 0w20 next. I wanted to get a hold of Syntium 5000 0w30 but never got a chance to cross the causeway. Our M1's are the same as yours, only 5w50 & 0w40 are available.

[ June 30, 2004, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Ken4 ]

Im pretty disappointed with the fuel economy. It gave me a nice 9.7km/L on the first tank, and this was with spirited driving. Then it dropped to 8.4km/L on the second tank, with timid driving. And now it's down to 7.7km/L on the third tank. I've now switched gas stations to try to see whether it is a fuel problem but I am doubtful. It's more likely this oil loses it's fuel economy properties quickly. Or the continued use of Caltex Vortex Platinum 98 fuel has somehow damaged the lubricity of the oil. Maybe one reason why this oil has no API or ILSAC rating.

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
The Mobil 1 5W50 should work well for extended oil drains up to 8,000 to 10,000 miles. I have to agree with Audi Junkie about the 15W40 oils, they are good stuff. I good dino 15W40 should do well for you for 5,000 to 6,000 mile oil drian. This is all off the top of my head and I would imagine when you say that you drive quite far it would mean a lesser distance to me. When I lived in the Philippines far was about 10 miles. And here in the USA far to me now is about 100 miles.

If you are auto crossing and all the Mobil 1 is likely the answer.

I agree.. I would go with the Mobil 1...
biggthumbcoffe.gif
I'm from Singapore too.. so far, the thinnest oil I have used was 0W30.. but nowadays, I use 5W40 to 5W50 type of oils with a drain interval of about 2500 miles(I do alot of city driving.. kinda like an urban driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back