Which oil for Scion XA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for some help on choosing an oil. Here are the stats.

1.5 Liter Toyota engine (same as Echo) 108 hp.
5 speed manual
4 qt sump

There is a little blue light that is on when the engine is cold, and I told wife not to take engine over 3000 rpm when on. It turns off in about 3 to 5 miles with temps in the upper 80's.

Located in Peoria, IL (Highs in summer up to high 90's low in winter down to teens or slightly below)

Going to change to a Dino at 500 miles to flush out gunk. Then change again at 1500 miles to a synthetic.

Should have the 500 miles by this weekend, and the 1500 miles well before winter.

Wife drives car to work and back twice a day mostly highway (18 miles one way).

Scion (Toyota) suggests 5W-30

I am thinking of going with Havoline 10W-30 for the first change at 500mi up to 1500mi. Then using GC 0W-30 for 5000 to 7000 mile intervals thereafter.

I know this doesn't go in this forum, but planning on using Purolator Pure one, or Bosch filters...any suggestions on these as well?

Thanks for the help!

I'd actually consider waiting a little longer before switching over to synthetic to make sure that the engine is properly broken in... maybe after 5000 miles.

10W-30 is probably fine for now, as it's warm out. I don't know much about synthetics, as I prefer to use dino oil myself, but you may want to consider using a 5W-30 all year round.

I don't see a problem using Purolator filters. I personally use the Premium Plus filters. I don't think the Pure One filters are worth the extra money over the Premium Plus. In addition, I've heard that the Pure One filters filter better, but don't flow as well.

Bosch filters are made by Champion, who also makes STP and SuperTech filters. People use those as well without any problems.

GC will be fine. The early/often oil changes may be overkill, but good luck with the car and many miles of happy motoring.
cheers.gif

Ok, the GC is out of the question, as I can't find it anywhere. Any other suggestions? I guess I will be going with M1 5w-30 or 0W-40.

quote:

Originally posted by DriveHard:

Any other suggestions?

Yep
smile.gif

Synergyn 3w-30 .... $ 4.70 a quart when a 20 quart pail is bought .

My Wife's 3 quart oil killing engine has not been able to hurt that oil yet
wink.gif

6 months , a little over 5k miles + Zero lead and TBN 6.90 on a running sample . Just did an additional 3600 miles in 10 days and not going to drain it quite yet
wink.gif

quote:

Synergyn 3w-30 .... $ 4.70 a quart when a 20 quart pail is bought

D@mn that is a good deal. I might use this oil in my next engine, the HEMI.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DriveHard:
Ok, the GC is out of the question, as I can't find it anywhere. Any other suggestions? I guess I will be going with M1 5w-30 or 0W-40.

DriveHard,
Check AutoZone if you have any in your area.
I have personally looked at a few quarts to see if they were the imported GC.But did not buy.
You could use Schaffers.We have a Rep on the board
from the Pontiac area.
RichR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back