Which oil for my driving habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.8 V6). I am currently using Havoline 5W/20 (manufacturer's specified weight).
I put 15-20000 miles per year on my vehicle. My habits are this: short trips 1-2 miles (very often) to long trips 100-600 miles occasionally. During the summer and fall, I pull a pop-up camper to Arkansas and Colorado. I live in South Dakota which has very cold temps. I do a 5000 mile OCI (every 3-4 months).
Based on my driving habits, would there be any benefit to using a synthetic blend (Motorcraft 5W/20) over my regular Havoline 5W/20?

Havoline is very highly regarded here. If you're sticking with the 5K OCI's, you don't need to change a thing. Just be sure you're using a good filter and go for it.

What your doing is excellent and I'd stay with the same.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I really wish I knew what changed between the 04 to 05 model years. I have a 04 with the 3.8 which is specd for 5-30 and every time I get close to 3000 I started getting some valvetrain noise with both Chevron and Havoline, even the Mobil 5000 is making me wonder around the 4000 mark. All oils get 2 chances since I buy by the case. So my next fill is Trop-Arctic blend, the MC clone, since my truck 99' F150 5.4 really likes the MC 5-20 and used the 5-30 before the change came out. I say if your engine sounds happy stick with it, but I wouldn't be afraid to give the MC a try especially if the prices are close. What have you been running for filters, I've been runnin the Napa Gold 1085 since a friend has a local Napa store and gives me a small discount.

ImaginThat: if dodge did the same thing to the caravan that they did to then neon, then the answer to what they did between 04 and 05 is nothing. there does not appear to be any changes made between the 04 and 05 model years to accomodate a switch to 5w20 in the neons.

Ya I didn't think much changed. Even compared to my old 97 I had the basic guts probably didn't change much but the intake trac and air filter location were nicely improved, thank goodness. Just wish they would back spec them so I can buy just one grade of oil for both.

My wife's 2000 GC 3.3 just passed 6100 miles with M1 10W30. No valve noises, no leaks, no usage, well, maybe 4 Ozs. It's down about 1/8" on the dip stick. Will change it at 7500 miles, about sometime in May.

Silver has the Nitrile ADBV the Gold has a Silicone and possibly a little different media. Wow 7 bucks for a gold, my buddy only charges me 4.25 I knew he was cuttin me a deal but I think I owe him a 6 pack.

You can even order the Wix from fleetfilter or filter1 and they run 3.50 a piece I believe, and one of them runs a 50 bucks and shipping free. Get some for the van and air filters plus a couple for any other rigs and you can hit 50 pretty easy. Then you should be set for a couple of years, just have to decide which oil to run
cool.gif

Well, Guess I will stick with the Havoline 5W/20. A have a good year to year and a half worth. I'll stock up on the Wix Filters if I can get them at the price listed above. Thanks!

Well, the oil filters are a good price at fleetfilter. But the air filters are about a buck higher than what I can buy them retail. Oil filters are $2.00 cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back