5w/20 vs. 5W/30 MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Raven18940:
And think of the fuel savings when all these motors speced 5w20 quit running.

You mean like how most 5w30 pre-SM rated dino oils would shear to a 20w within 1000-1500 miles and engines all across the country quit running?

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:

quote:

Originally posted by Raven18940:
And think of the fuel savings when all these motors speced 5w20 quit running.

You mean like how most 5w30 pre-SM rated dino oils would shear to a 20w within 1000-1500 miles and engines all across the country quit running?

I was thinking more the plugs will foul to the point of them stopping and the buyers ditching them for new autos.

Not saying 20 weight is bad, just that dodge seems to be cutting corners to get the CAFE up.

if its consuming excessively, true... however, it seems this is more the exception than the rule.

5w20 oils sure seem stable.

The 5w-20 factory fill in the ford focus rental I have is still at the full mark, after 9500 miles!

Avis hasnt authorized me to an oil change yet, so I just drive it!

JMH

Wow you guys really hate 5w-20 oils?

Oldschool thinking dies slowly.

My 2001 focus ran like a top. Whether is was MC 5w-20 or M1 0w-20, Hot or cold, me beating on the car, and with 10k OCI never used a drop.
burnout.gif

This was will true even nearing 100k.

If this car did not save my life, I would still be driving it.

This is an Econo Box using that AWFUL CAFE friendly oil.
shocked.gif

offtopic.gif
FYI A Fed Ex Semi was stopped dead in the middle lane of I91. I don't know how but my car struck the rear at highway speeds and the was rear ended by a full size Chevy van.
crushedcar.gif
I was up and walking 3 days after the crash. If you guys want to see some cool photos PM with your email .

quote:

Originally posted by SirEager:
Wow you guys really hate 5w-20 oils?

Oldschool thinking dies slowly.

My 2001 focus ran like a top. Whether is was MC 5w-20 or M1 0w-20, Hot or cold, me beating on the car, and with 10k OCI never used a drop.
burnout.gif

This was will true even nearing 100k.

If this car did not save my life, I would still be driving it.

This is an Econo Box using that AWFUL CAFE friendly oil.
shocked.gif

Not saving 20 weight is bad, but the engine has to be designed for it. Tolerance have to be tight in order for it to work like it should. Your focus was designed with it in mind and did well. My SAAB was designed with a heavier 40 weight in mind so it likes that best. My camry seems to like 30 weight best, though I haven't tried a 20 and probably won't. Dodge it seems though has just speced a 20 weight where they should be using a 30 weight to boost their CAFE.
nono.gif

The best gas mileage I've had was 40.5 mpg on a tank coming back from chicago, 100% highway trip with one 30 minute stop for lunch, this is with Mobil 1 5w-30. I now just filled up and have a 38 mpg and this is not with a 100% highway driving profile and multiple stops amounting to at least a dozen different trips and I did it with Mobil 1 EP 15w-50. I'm pretty sure if I made another 100% highway trip I would still be getting 40 or more. I haven't seen a huge hit from increasing from 30 weight to 50 weight. I did however expect it to make at least a 10% difference in fuel economy and a loss of performance but that is really only noticed for the first few minutes of driving, once things are warm, no difference is apparent. If I was a short tripper I would notice more of a difference in gas mileage but I do not with my >90% highway driving profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back