which oil for break in? honda d16 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys,
i allready opened this thread a while ago but i just finished building and installing the engine and now its oil time :),

i'v built a honda d16 engine which suppose to produce around 400hp with a t3/4 turbo, forged pistons and rods. compression ratio is around 1:8.5 very agressive aftermarket cam /spring/valves/retiners

ACL bearings.
main and rod clearances are .0015 all around.
bigger buffled oil pan 5.5L insted a oem 3.3L

i'm looking for a mineral oil low detergent high zddp as i was told??? maby 10-40(unless i'm mistaken???) and move to syntetic after break in,?

just for the record i live in a hot country, were seeing around 27-35c at summer and around 10-20c at winter.

i dont have alot of oil brand options, just the big stuff. castrol, valvoline, silkolene, motul, mobil1, elf, red line,
agip

please help me decide.apl? mineral? syntetic? low detergent? which weight? i'm exhausted

thanks alot

Last edited:
Is John Deere in Israel???
TY22041%20(Custom).jpg

I would break it in with Valvoline VR-1 10w30 if you can get your hands on it. If not I would go with the Redline 5w30 (it's thick, more shear resistant, and has lots of ZDDP. I am not a huge fan of breaking in with synthetic either but if you drive aggressively (engine warmed fully) you will seat the rings. I think those, in that order of availability will serve you well. Now sleep and have good dreams. You CAN"T GO WRONG WITH EITHER OF THOSE.

Take care!

thanks guys but i evantualy got the thing i was looking for:

valvoline SAE 10 40 premium conventional
i got 3 gallons for 2 oil changes and also a red line breakin additive that suppose be enough for 2 oil changes,

does anybody know how much zddp ppm's does this oil have?
thanks

i'm gonna switch to valvoline vr1 synth after the break in,

IMG_9842.jpg

18092011130.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back