Which oil? Dodge Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 5.7 litre. It calls for 5w 20. I like to change my oils around the 5000 mile mark but keep in mind I do a fair amount of stationery idiling also more so in the winter. I just got the M1 bug but after coming here I am completely confused. According to my oil change of 5000 miles intervals along with my idiling, is regular Mobil one full synthetic ok? I was leaning towards Valvoline Syn power or penzoil platinum? I narrowed it down to one of the three oils mentioned above.

all three are very good. Mobil 1 "EP" may be a bit better, although at higher cost. and that Hemi takes 7 qts of oil - although mine seems to take almost 8. look around for the M1 rebate that is currently running - and you can save $10 per 5 quart jug (walmart). there's also frequent rebates on PP.

Mine also took about 7 1/2 qts, but you think regular M1 will be ok with my 5000 mile interval with about 20% idiling? Thanks in advance, Reno

Any one of those oils is fine. Just make sure you stick with 5W-20 or your MDS system will not function properly. A lot of folks us Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend which is only $12.50 for 5qt jugs at Walmart. You'll need a skosh more than 7quarts per change.

Good luck.

I personally can't see running high quality synth unless you are going for extended intervals.

Top end dino is more than adequate for 5000 miles.

Don't the 09's have an OLM?

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 5.7 litre. It calls for 5w 20. I like to change my oils around the 5000 mile mark but keep in mind I do a fair amount of stationery idiling also more so in the winter. I just got the M1 bug but after coming here I am completely confused. According to my oil change of 5000 miles intervals along with my idiling, is regular Mobil one full synthetic ok? I was leaning towards Valvoline Syn power or penzoil platinum? I narrowed it down to one of the three oils mentioned above.

Here is what you need...

1) - 5W-20( 0W-20 in winter ok )due to MDS. DO NOT use a 30 weight oil unless you get a tuner and disable MDS. Do not ever use a 40 or 50 weight oil.

2) - Oil needs to meet or exceed MS6395( Chrysler's oil spec )

3) - API Starburst certified oil

Here is a list of oils that meet those requirements and are good choices( in the order I would personally buy them )...

Kendall GT1/76 Lubricants Full Synthetic( same oil )
Penzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower
Quaker State Ultimate Durability( formerly Horsepower )
Amsoil XL
Mobil 1

As others have said the 5.7L takes 7 qts. However, I have owned 2 HEMI Rams and I have never had to put a drop over 7 qts in when doing an OC. I would do the OC using the 7qts and then check the next day to see if you need any extra. I have never needed any extra. I had a mechanic tell me once I did but when I checked it the oil was right at full.

The HEMI is a great motor. Synthetic is a very good choice for it. Keep your OC's at 6 months/6000 miles or less( I do 5000 mile OC's on my 08 )OR go by your oil life monitor. Just be advised it appears Chrysler sets the OLM to kick on right at 2500 and then alot of people say 5000, 7500 and possibly even 10,000 before it starts to lengthen out.

Don't give up on the OLM because of that if you wanted to use it to determine when to change. Just reset it and go by your 5-6K OCI until it starts to allow for longer. Mine kicked on right at 2500 on the dot but has now gone over 3000 without kicking on again.

Nice truck and congrat's.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies and the detailed right up everyone. NHHEMI, I am just curiuos why is M1 at the bottom of your list?

Thanks for replies and the detailed right up everyone. NHHEMI, I am just curiuos why is M1 at the bottom of your list?

Because that's his personal choice.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Because that's his personal choice.

Correct. Personal opinion on the product and the company behind it. However, if YOU like it use it and your engine will be fine. Was not implying it was bad just not my top choice. Actually, if you had not mentioned it I would not have put it on the list. But again just my personal opinion.

If you get a chance PM me some info on your truck and maybe a picture or two. I am curious how you like the new 09 Ram.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back