Which of these fuels should I make my permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: 07734
who makes up what a top tier gas is??

This forum is Gasoline Cars Right? That's what the topic is. Gasoline and Cars

Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs

This thread is for gasoline powered automoble engine oil.

Fuel threads go here
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=37&page=1

6 pages, over 2 days, without a Mod moving it to the correct forum. Must be a record.

Last edited:
As of June 1st 2013, Tesoro Refining & Marketing Company LLC has licensed the ARCO trademark to BP for BP to market motor fuel in Northern California, Oregon and Washington.

So it did happen this year after all! That sure was one of the most silent sales I've ever seen.

Durango

Originally Posted By: yonyon
*By bad gas I mean that you can dip the end of a strip of paper to wet it in the bad gas and light the other end on fire. If the wet part of the paper won't burn the gas is bad.
Do I need to increase my life insurance before trying this?

Scum_Frog wrote: "Gas only comes from a limited number refineries.....it's the same gas going to different gas stations for the most part"

This is exactly why Top Tier is about the additive package, which is NOT the same between retailers.

NHHEMI wrote: "Funny how some on this site would not dream of using oil that is not API certified or certified to car mfg X's oil standard, or use that to defend an oil and say it is betetr than others not certified to the same standard(s), but when it comes to TT gas it is all a conspiracy by big gas companies, a scam, clever marketing, and whatnot."

This has been the pattern here for a while. I was a little surprised to see a request for data while MMO doesn't demand the same expectations. I guess that if someone thinks something, it is presumed to be true. If they don't, it requires data to change their mind .. if it can be changed.

FWIT - I found this on Al Gore's amazing internet..

"I HAVE OWNED VIRTUALLY ALL BRANDS OF STATIONS AND HERE IS MY EXPERIENCE

First of all let me say that i am not a mechanic or car buff. I have however owned Chevron, Shell, Valero, Exxon and Independent (no name) gas stations and still own several. First of all let me say that someone made a comment about Shell or another owning the land so they control what can go into their tanks. That is absolutely false!! When a gas station owner signs a "fuel agreement" with a major company, you can only receive fuel from that company and not just anyone. If you did, that is illegal. You must and can only receive that fuel that you are contracted to receive. So that statement or comment is absolutely not true and not a factor.

Second, the only additive that has been SCIENTIFICALLY proven to reduce build up and lower emissions is TECHRON by chevron. I know the following is not scientific however i cant tell you how many hundreds of times i had people come in to my store (when i was a Chevron) and swear that their car got 5-10% and even higher gas mileage compared to Arco or unbranded (includes grocery stores, Costco, Walmart, etc) and much better performance as well. Generally speaking all generic gas is the same however i will tell you that in at least CA they are allowed to add "fillers" to their generic gas (basically adding impurities to decrease the percent of pure gas).

I (like an idiot) let my wife convince me that we get over a dollar per gallon off Safeway gas because we shop there for our grocery (i think they give like 30 or 50 cents of per gallon for every $100 one spends in the store). So we had a bunch of "gas credits" saved up and for like 3 or 4 tanks, we both put in only Safeway gas and here is our experience. My wife's car dropped from average gas mileage of 20 to high 16's and my brand new car (4 months old) dropped from average of 27 down to 22!! That is not an exaggeration it was actually a hair worse than that. When i took my car in to the dealer (who is very reputable in our city, they are number on in either CA or Northern CA) the service manger told me he had another customer a month earlier complaining of the same thing but also noticed a huge drop off in performance (thinking back i realized my did as well). The manger dipped the guys tank and stated that his Spectrometer (or whatever device he used to check purity of gas) showed that the gas was only 76% pure and had "fillers" of 24%. He then took the same device and dipped his tank (he only uses Chevron) because the client was skeptical and low and behold the device jumped up to 100%!!

That all i needed to hear. I told my wife that i don't care if Safeway is giving gas away (well maybe if its free :) , I will only use Chevron in both of our cars period. Think about it, why would the major auto companies go thru the hassel and cost of shipping gas from over 500 miles away (from Michigan to Kentucky where many of the new car testing is done regarding EPA stuff and more) since the 1970's if there is no difference in gas. They have Shell, 76, Exxon, BP in Kentucky and yet they only use and want Chevron. They are the true experts and not I.
Another quick item to think about. Chevron is the same price as the other majors here and only Arco and Independents are about 5% cheapest at the most (usually only 2-3%) however if your mileage drops from 30 to say 27 that is a 10% drop in mileage so that is actually costing you more money to buy the cheaper gas and that does not even take into account all the other benefits of Techron on most likely reducing mechanical/maintenance costs down the road.
That is all i need to know. Anyway the choice is yours. Hope that helped someone."
from sonny1130 15 months ago

http://askville.amazon.com/gas-station-c...requestId=34898

I hear that. I've used cheap fuel and top tier. Have not had any fuel related issues in many many years.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Gas only comes from a limited number refineries.....it's the same gas going to different gas stations for the most part.

And clearly you do not understand what makes TT gas TT gas. It is the additives that go into it not the raw product.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I do not know what everyone else is paying for TT gas but around here TT stations are often less than off brand gas.

TT gas marketers are tested regularly for quality and once a gas marketer is TT designated they can not change their formulation without retesting and once the manufactures change their emission requirements it forces TT marketers to adjust to keep their TT license. I see this as away to ensure quality of a product.

I do not see how this is a bad thing.

Agreed, the three stations that are closest to me include 7-Eleven, Shell and BP, prices are almost always exactly same at each station... Since it's Top Tier, I've almost always bought Shell, plus now can save $.10 gal using Kroger rewards so it's a given...

Years back I had a 5.0 Mustang that always bucked at low speeds, at that time I ran Exxon fuel as one of the stations up on the corner was locally owned(it's now closed, they've built a full service shop with no gas sales)... One day just before a road trip I filled it with Amoco(now the BP) and the buck was gone when I reached my destination(trip was like 250mi)... Ahhh just needed a good blowing out... Upon return I filled it with Exxon and it started bucking before I could get out of the station's lot... That was 1996 & I've bought Exxon exactly twice since then(noooo, I don't carry a grudge), both times I was away from home, low on fuel and didn't know where I'd find the next station... Yep, I bought like $10 or $15 just to get me by...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Upon return I filled it with Exxon and it started bucking before I could get out of the station's lot... That was 1996 & I've bought Exxon exactly twice since then(noooo, I don't carry a grudge), both times I was away from home, low on fuel and didn't know where I'd find the next station...

Not very accurate of a 'test' as the amount of fuel in the lines and fuel filter will easily get you out of a lot and down the street.
This is how these myths get perpetuated.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: TFB1
Upon return I filled it with Exxon and it started bucking before I could get out of the station's lot... That was 1996 & I've bought Exxon exactly twice since then(noooo, I don't carry a grudge), both times I was away from home, low on fuel and didn't know where I'd find the next station...

Not very accurate of a 'test' as the amount of fuel in the lines and fuel filter will easily get you out of a lot and down the street.
This is how these myths get perpetuated.

NOPE NOT SO, was the 5.0 with a return fuel system(that was basically what all Fords used till '03 or so), fuel is constantly circulated through the fuel rails and back to the tank... Complete circulation takes maybe 10 seconds...

I only ran the Amoco in it afterwards and it didn't buck...

Originally Posted By: GMorg
Scum_Frog wrote: "Gas only comes from a limited number refineries.....it's the same gas going to different gas stations for the most part"

This is exactly why Top Tier is about the additive package, which is NOT the same between retailers.

NHHEMI wrote: "Funny how some on this site would not dream of using oil that is not API certified or certified to car mfg X's oil standard, or use that to defend an oil and say it is betetr than others not certified to the same standard(s), but when it comes to TT gas it is all a conspiracy by big gas companies, a scam, clever marketing, and whatnot."

This has been the pattern here for a while. I was a little surprised to see a request for data while MMO doesn't demand the same expectations. I guess that if someone thinks something, it is presumed to be true. If they don't, it requires data to change their mind .. if it can be changed.

x2

Was this piece posted in jest?
I've never seen anything like a ~20% change in fuel economy from one fuel to the next.
The differences I see tank to tank are within a pretty narrow range, given similar driving conditions.
For example, with the old BMW, drive it like you stole it and you'll see 27-28 mpg. Drive it gently and you'll see 32-33 mpg.
The same can be said of any car we've ever owned and any brand gas we've used in them.
Choice of gasoline has not been a factor in fuel economy in my many years and many miles of driving.

Down to Shell @ 3.29 and Exxon @ 3.29

Both at 3.29 The question comes down to the two that are "TOP TIER GAS"

Exxon or Hess for the same price.

which gas would you make your permanent fuel, and never switch from... both 3.29. Switching back and forth isn't recommended.

So who wins here. Exxon or Shell?

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Gas only comes from a limited number refineries.....it's the same gas going to different gas stations for the most part.

Base oils only come from a limited number of refineries. It's the same Group II, III, III+, IV, and so forth going into every bottle of oil for the most part. Right?

Go for the Top Tier brands.

Like the others have said, TT is NOT marketing it is in fact a set of certified independent tests that confirm the gas has enough EFFECTIVE detergents that engines stay clean. I believe that the typical TT certified brands have around five times more detergents than a typical non-certified brand.

Usually TT brands are competitively priced and often can be among the cheapest prices.

It is true that the BASE gas is usually the exact product among most brands but the detergents and amounts are certainly NOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back