Which of these 4 Synthetics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy fine folks, first post with an easy question... Which of the 4 following fully synthetic 5W-30 oils you would use:

Mobil 1
Mobil 1 High Mileage
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Valvoline SynPower

Application:
1997 Chevy Astro Van
4.3 V6
170,000 miles
Manual states to use 5W-30

I have always used plain Mobil 1 5W-30 and always change the oil filter when changing the oil. Oil changes intervals average 5,000 miles but I extended the last one to 10,000 miles so that might be a trend. I drive conservatively but it does get hot here in Texas. No engine problems to note. Mobil 1 has not given me any problems but with the new Mobil 1 options out there and the Valvoline vs Mobil 1 debate, which would you pick?

(other oil options are not needed as these 4 are the most convenient and available, and any cost differences between the 4 are not an issue)

Mobil 1 Extended Performance. 10k OCIs might be doable with this oil.

SynPower is at the bottom of the list unless you get a good deal on it.

Last edited:
For a 1997 Astro!?!

The cheapest...

Seriously, the 4.3 is easy on oil...any of them would be great, so why spend any extra $$...Now, mind you, if you're saying you want to extend the drain interval out...then the EP...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
For a 1997 Astro!?!

The cheapest...

Seriously, the 4.3 is easy on oil...any of them would be great, so why spend any extra $$...Now, mind you, if you're saying you want to extend the drain interval out...then the EP...

I would tend to agree with this.

Originally Posted By: Radman
The best Mobil 1 oil is 0W40.

Think I should switch from 5W30 to 0W40?

Is it using oil?
If not stay with the one that brung ya.
No need to switch.
You could try M1 HM if you're seeing leaks or consumption.
You could try M1 EP if you want to run longer than 5K.
For a 5K OCI in a moderate climate, with no real cold, any oil would do fine.
There are some very pretty UOAs of Synpower on 5-6K runs, if you want to try it.
Still, around here, M1 is actually cheaper than Synpower, so I'd be inclined to stay with M1.

Stick with the regular M1.

1. It has served you well so far
2. It can go the 10k miles...it is factory fill on many new cars with oil life monitors that go 7-12k mile. Just be sure your engine is not producing excessive blowby to contaminate the oil - in which even EP would not allow you to extend that far.

**If you have some slight oil leaks or other issues, go with the hi-mileage M1.

Oh and I have a soft spot for those M/L vans...I started my GM career in the Baltimore plant that built those vans right up until it closed.

Last edited:
These engines are easy on oil. If M1 5w30 has gotten you this far I see no reason to change even with a 10k OCI. If you're short tripping it I'm not sure I'd run any oil to 10k.

Any grade other than that for a syn would be Castrol or Redline.

Your opinion only. 0-40 is very good as all the M1 line. For most engines 10K is a snap with M1 oils.

Last edited:
The M1 high mileage is an awesome oil. Better heat shear for the TX sun and also great in the winter. My mechanic seems to think the seal conditioner is a great perk too.

Because your engine has a good amount of miles on it, the thicker high mileage oil may be good for your engine tolerances that have opened a little... bump up to the high mileage oil and give it a try.

My honest opinion is to use none of them If you are doing 5k OCI's with a new filter everytime, just go with the house brand synthetic and save several bucks. Advance Auto Parts, WalMart Super tech, Napa, etc....

Originally Posted By: tig1

Your opinion only. 0-40 is very good as all the M1 line. For most engines 10K is a snap with M1 oils.

and.....your opinion, as well

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: tig1

and.....your opinion, as well

From decades of experience.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am going to stay with Mobil 1 but I am switching to a better version - there is one version that I did not consider that has better cold AND hot performance than the standard 5W-30 Mobil 1 I have always used, according to Mobil 1's chart - "Mobil 1 0W30 Advanced Fuel Economy". The Mobil 1 website oil selector for my vehicle listed (7) 5W-30 options and (1) 0W-30 option that they say I can use for my vehicle.

Seems 0W-30 would have better flow at cold start up. Any penalty for going to 0W-30 especially in hot summers in Texas? I am less attracted with the fuel economy benefit of 0W-30 and more interested in the easier cold cranking and better oil flow when cold. I start the van often during the day and make a lot of short trips.

Any reason I should not switch from 5W-30 to 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back