Which loctite to use?

I bought a block heater for my tractor. It came with a tapered sleeve that presses into a freeze plug hole and the element that threads onto the sleeve.

The directions say to use “loctite” around the sleeve to ensure a seal. What style of loctite should I use?

Do you have a link to this so we can have a look. Is the sleeve rubber or steel?

Steel.

I can get a link later if needed.
A6DD9C90-D5AC-4125-AC79-621D8AFFD11F.png

Last edited:
How hot is that element? Is the blue rated for the heat it puts out or would you need to go red?

I’ve always been taught if it’s on the block it has to be red it can take more heat and vibration. But blue will be much easier to remove.

I’ve always been taught if it’s on the block it has to be red it can take more heat and vibration. But blue will be much easier to remove.

Lot of truth to that and in this application I would suggest that they don't want this to be easier to remove because that also equates to "easier to work loose" too.

Remember, a "threadlocker" by definition is for a thread which in good condition has extensive face contact and has a tensile load.

Other metal locking ( tapers, bushings and what not) applications require different formulae.

Cant just go by the color anymore.

It seems that some here don't realize this is a press fit, not threaded.

Edit: If I understand the OP, the silver part is tapered and presses into the freeze plug opening. Teflon tape or any high heat thread sealant should work on the tapered brass threaded portion.

Last edited:
Before I threw that sort of wood on the fire I would give this a shot. For a 20 spot its the deal.

Back