Which Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have and am going to install a Magnefine in-line ATF filter. My problem is I can not tell which line is out vs in. On my 07 Ranger, it comes with a factory aux cooler up by the radiator. So before I go cutting a metal tubing line, how can I be sure?
15.gif
54.gif

If you can feel the metal tubing, the hotter one will be the cooler inlet. I assume that's where you want to plumb in your Magnefine. The one colder to the touch will be the return. Other than that, pull a line to see which one makes a mess when you start the engine.

You want to plumb the Magnefine into the return as per their instructions. Only on a new car does it go on the inlet side. Magnefine sells some clamps that will allow you to plumb it into a metal line vs rubber.

The Magnefine has a arrow for flow direction and you need to adhere to that also. Before connecting the outlet hose, shove the outlet end of the Magnefine into an empty water bottle, start the engine and see that ATF is flowing. Then button it up.

I installed my magnefine on the return line from the cooler to the trans as it had more room, better location to sit in the engine bay than from the trans to the cooler. I don't think it matters, as long as you get the direction of flow. The instructions say return line for older and out line for newer as its something to do with reducing deposits into the cooler. Eventually the filter shoudl pick all that up anyway ???

It should not matter.
If I had a choice, I would install it BEFORE the cooler.
But maybe they are concerned about higher temperatures there?

Magnefine is concerned about the cooler being a repository for crud on a high mileage transmission. If there has been a transmission failure, the cooler will be full of metal bits.

With a good transmission, even with some miles on it, I prefer to filter the hotter, thinner oil entering the cooler. Thinner oil filters better.

The transmission coolers I have played with run through the radiator first.
Where by in the winter the coolant in the radiator WARMS the transmission fluid initially while the engine is warming up.

I would think that placing the filter AFTER the transmission cooler would be the best as there would be the least amount of time where it filtered VERY COLD fluid.

Even though it would be cold 20 weight fluid, as most ATF's are around that weight I wonder how thick this stuff can get and how well the bypass works on the extreme end of things.

Just an idea.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
I have and am going to install a Magnefine in-line ATF filter. My problem is I can not tell which line is out vs in. On my 07 Ranger, it comes with a factory aux cooler up by the radiator. So before I go cutting a metal tubing line, how can I be sure?
15.gif
54.gif

I added a Magnefine on my 06 Ranger. The fluid goes into the top of the radiator, out the bottom, and then through the aux cooler. Instead of cutting the metal lines, just cut the rubber line from the aux cooler. It's much easier to do, and much easier to fix in case you screw it up. I used the small length of hose that came with the filter and attached that to the output of the aux cooler, and obviously attached the filter to the other end. Then shorten the factory hose and attach it to the other side of the filter.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
You can also disconnect both hoses and point them into a bucket. Have someone start it and watch which one it flows out of.

I tried that on my Ranger. Fluid started coming out of both lines an equal amount. Left me there scratching my head. I asked online and it was confirmed that the fluid does flow the way I described.
I later learned that the reason fluid came out of both lines is because the 5r55e trans has an internal thermostat that does not let fluid to the cooler until it reaches operating temp. My trans was cool, so it was kind of freely spitting fluid out both lines.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would follow the Magnefine directions unless I had real reason not to do so.

Its trivial, they recommend either, but for high mileage prefer a certain way as someone has already made clear. Trans fluid is so thin already, i would not be worried about it no passing through the filter once cooled. Cooled its still darn hot to the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back