Which lawn mower?

I bought a used JD lawn tractor to mow a triangular shaped lawn that is about 160’ x 100’. About 1/3 acre mostly uphill. I didn’t get a riding mower because I thought it wouldn’t be powerful enough. The 20 hp tractor has plenty of power to go up the steep slopes but not enough traction. And some limited area is a 2:1 slope so the only option is to dive bomb it from the top. All in all it is quite a thrill ride.

Question: should I have gotten a rider for lower center of gravity? Or At a 1/3 of acre does it make sense use a self propelled walk behind mower?

I bought a used JD lawn tractor to mow a triangular shaped lawn that is about 160’ x 100’. About 1/3 acre mostly uphill. I didn’t get a riding mower because I thought it wouldn’t be powerful enough. The 20 hp tractor has plenty of power to go up the steep slopes but not enough traction. And some limited area is a 2:1 slope so the only option is to dive bomb it from the top. All in all it is quite a thrill ride.

Question: should I have gotten a rider for lower center of gravity? Or At a 1/3 of acre does it make sense use a self propelled walk behind mower?
I'm trying to figure out what you are using. I think of lawn tractors as riding mowers. A zero turn is not for slopes ! A push mower can also be dangerous on steep slopes. A picture of the area and your mower would help. How long would it take to mow with a push ? Is it so steep it would tire you out with a push ?

Wheel weights can work wonders. I'd start there.

Or Rimguard, liquid that goes in the tires. Snow pushing folks are all about these options.

You can always upgrade the rear turf tires to ones that are more aggressive found on a garden tractor.

I have some steep slopes i run a JD rider on and I use tire chains, makes a world of difference, no sliding or spinning at all another option would be a 4-wheel drive mower or run ag tires

I have a Cub Cadet CC 30 H; what you call a riding mower. CC states it is not to be used on slopes more than 12 degrees / 21 %.

Sounds like a riding mower would not have been a solution and you should try modifications to your tractor others have recommended.

Regards,
John

With the angles that you are mowing, I would use a battery powered push mower and self propelled. My reason is that even using your tractor you could be starving the bearings in your motor. Depends on where the pickup is for the oil pump. At those angles that would be a question I would be looking into. Battery powered mowers are pretty light weight and can run at any angle. Wheel weight may solve your slippage issue. If not then go to chains.

Attachments

• IMG_0739[1].JPG
    IMG_0739[1].JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0738[1].JPG
    IMG_0738[1].JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0740[1].JPG
    IMG_0740[1].JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 33
What is a lawn tractor vs a rider? If you don’t have traction, get ag tires for the rear.

Without knowing your hill, make sure it won’t roll back on top of you. My sister in law was doing some pretty sketchy stuff on a small hill at their place and had a near miss a few years ago. It’s not worth it.

As much as I hate to say it, mowing a very steep hill has always required the mower to go downhill while mowing. Or cross wise on less steep grades. There are AWD mowers and locking differentials for those who absolutely need to mow uphill. But keep in mind, these can, especially when wet or muddy, struggle on steep uphill grades too.

Back