Which Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both those hardrives will be a large choke on those computers irrelevant to your RAM and processor.

I was astounded on the difference in speed going 5400RPM to 7200RPM on an old Thinkpad T500.

Looks like you jumped already. Replace the HD driver and be amazed.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Both those hardrives will be a large choke on those computers irrelevant to your RAM and processor.

I was astounded on the difference in speed going 5400RPM to 7200RPM on an old Thinkpad T500.

Looks like you jumped already. Replace the HD driver and be amazed.

Harddrives are too expensive. I already bought a 2tb for my desktop and that was expensive enough. A well tuned computer with a 5400 rpm drive will be plenty sufficient for me. Maybe in the future ill pick up a wd black or maybe even a seagate xt (the one with flash memory). Its still not a sure thing lenovo has to approve the junkout on the old one first. Hopefully ill hear something monday or tuesday.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Oh, and I've decided on the toshiba. In the end, I decided that better battery life, CPU performance, bigger HDD, better keyboard was worth it more than a better GPU, and gigabit ethernet. I'll happily pay the little bit extra.

Aww too bad. I stole one of those samsung a6's from best buy for 400 bucks + NY and local tax (8%) and love it so far (my gateway [censored]'s drive [censored] out in under 3 years; yes, I drop it on the floor almost regularly, but I think with the increased capacities come smaller tolerances, hence more fragile machinery). I was weirded out by keyboard too before buying but didn't take long; it's actually nice. Linux installation was a royal pain due to the newer a6 video; but once working and set up with amd proprietary driver, no more complaints. (ask me via email if any of you ever need help on a linux install on an a6)

35 watts tdp for a quad core processor with a bunch of stream processors is simply amazing. it rips at BOINC projects, although only two projects i know of support the stream processors due to the fact that they will not do math with doubles, just floats.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Could be also due to a bigger or improved cache. I somewhat suspect 7200 rpm drives might consume more power, may be louder, and possibly shorter lived; but that's just my guess.

Talking about fast drives, I saw an interesting hybrid drive; mostly magnetic, but with a smaller flash component for frequently used data; I think 500G for $150, though probably desktop 3.5 form. I didn't expect the Thai floodings to be this big nor have this long of an effect on the drive industry.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I thought best buy policy was to repair first then replace

It depends. For one thing, mine is under manufacturers warranty. And generally in the case of both best buy and the manufacturers, if it is more cost effective to flat out replace the computer than to repair it, that is usually the option they go with. When you consider the motherboard for this laptop probably runs $100 or more, and however much per hour in labor, it's probably more cost effective to replace it. At least, that's what I'm hoping is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back