Which Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, it feels like I just did this... Last April. Well, the motherboard in my laptop appears to have kicked the bucket. Using it last night, suddenly shuts off. Power button produces no response, other than power and battery LEDs coming on for about 4 seconds, and shutting off again. No fans, no sign of HDD attempting to spinup, nothing. Completely dead. Battery was fully charged and it was plugged in. Anyway, took it to the store today and they sent it to Lenovo.

It was a cheap laptop, so I'm counting right now on them most likely just junking it out, and best buy will give me store credit toward a new one. Right now, I'm contemplating between these two.

Samsung 15.6" Laptop: AMD A6-3420M & 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Toshiba 15.6" Laptop: Intel Core i3-2330M, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD

Now, it really doesn't matter how much RAM they have, because I have 6GB of brand new Crucial DDR3-1333 that is going in whichever one I get.

I picked the Samsung because the A6 processor is plenty fast for what I need the CPU for (if I need CPU power I have a 4.3Ghz i5 in my desktop), and it has a much more powerful graphics card.

I like the Toshiba's physical design better, and I definitely like the keyboard better too. The Toshiba has a very nice, glossy screen, the Samsung is nice too, but it's a Matte finish. I prefer glossy laptop screens, because the panels are already so poor quality that the glossy really helps with the colors and contrast. But it obviously comes with a much weaker GPU, but more powerful CPU, as well as better battery life.

However, the Samsung is a full $100 cheaper. The samsung I would likely not have to pay anything extra for, the Toshiba I could have to pay anywhere from $50-$100 more, potentially. I don't mind paying to get something better, but....

I'm telling myself that I don't need the graphics card, because I can do all my gaming on my desktop, and even the integrated intel graphics in the i3 aren't that awful. And I definitely prefer the Toshiba's design, not to mention bigger HDD. The other thing is that the Samsung has Gigabit ethernet, and the Toshiba does not. I do a lot of large file transfers between my laptop and desktop over network, both Wired and wirelessly. So that could be a consideration too. At the same time, the Toshiba has a USB 3.0 port, and the Samsung does not.

I'm indecisive here. Thoughts on this, anyone?

Also, on a different topic, come my tax return I'm going to be moving my main desktop from the extremely cramped Antec 300 to a new Fractal Design, Define R3 case. Looks like an excellent case, and will help with my 5 SSD/HDDs. Anyone have any experience with that particular case?

Thanks in advance
-Nick

Last edited:
See if you can blow dust off various parts eg fan openings motherboard areas. It might start up again.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
See if you can blow dust off various parts eg fan openings motherboard areas. It might start up again.

Believe me I tried anything you can think of. Including trying the new RAM I had. It was as dead as dead can be. It should be on it's way via UPS Overnight Air to Lenovo by now.

Buy the one with the best keyboard. Performance can be upgraded later, the keyboard (for all intents and purposes) cannot.

Next priority would be weight if you ever plan to go anywhere with it.

last april? should be under warranty.. 1 year?

Its not easy or cheap to upgrade later so you should

1)buy the one you like best as far as feel and screen.
2)decide what you want to do with it. ie gaming requires better video card etc.
3)shop around for deals.

edit: i missed that you were getting store credit and picking from bestbuy.

IMO the intel wont be as strong but will be more portable.. less heat more battery life etc.

do you want a desktop replacement or a workstation on the go?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
last april? should be under warranty.. 1 year?

Its not easy or cheap to upgrade later so you should

1)buy the one you like best as far as feel and screen.
2)decide what you want to do with it. ie gaming requires better video card etc.
3)shop around for deals.

edit: i missed that you were getting store credit and picking from bestbuy.

IMO the intel wont be as strong but will be more portable.. less heat more battery life etc.

do you want a desktop replacement or a workstation on the go?

I have a desktop I built for gaming and stuff. This laptop is mainly for watching video streamed from my desktop, music, and internet in the house and to take it places. The toshiba definitely wins in terms of screen and keyboard. Like I said, I've narrowed it down to the two in the OP, and the reasons why I like/do not like, each of them.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
AMD = heat = short life. Intel anything is fine.

Okay, I'm gonna argue that point. The A4/A6/A8 chips actually run really cool, as they are still 32nm. There is no reason that AMD chips will run cooler than Intel. What makes more difference is the laptop cooling design. For example, the Athlon II P340 in my bro and sis laptops run about 60 under full load. The i5-460M in my mom's Samsung, which is more than twice as expensive, runs about 78 under full load.

I would look for a laptop with a 7200rpm hard drive for better performance, unless you don't mind the 5400rpm. Not sure if you are set in 15.6" screen or what size screen you are looking for, this one seems to have decent specs with 14" screen for $479.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1365819&CatId=4938

and this one with 15.6" seems real nice too, with win 7 pro for $479.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1388052&CatId=4939

Last edited:
I hate glossy screens so that would decide it for me..

whoever came up with the "mirror" glossy screen should be shot.

who the heck wants to reflect whats behind you around you at your face?

I agree the glossy look cooler though.

I had a bunch of windows open earlier and it looks like I didnt read your OP very well.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
I would look for a laptop with a 7200rpm hard drive for better performance, unless you don't mind the 5400rpm. Not sure if you are set in 15.6" screen or what size screen you are looking for, this one seems to have decent specs with 14" screen for $479.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1365819&CatId=4938

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1388052&CatId=4939

It has to be from Best Buy, because I *should* get about $400-450 in store credit for my broken one.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: wkcars

It has to be from Best Buy, because I *should* get about $400-450 in store credit for my broken one.

Oh miss that part in your post, never mind then...

Originally Posted By: Rand

In my desktop, I like matte. Because I can spend the extra money and get a high quality monitor. Even my low-end e-IPS is better than 99% of all TN Panel displays. Laptop screens are usually fairly dire, and glossy helps improve it slightly.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
AMD = heat = short life. Intel anything is fine.

Okay, I'm gonna argue that point. The A4/A6/A8 chips actually run really cool, as they are still 32nm. There is no reason that AMD chips will run cooler than Intel. What makes more difference is the laptop cooling design. For example, the Athlon II P340 in my bro and sis laptops run about 60 under full load. The i5-460M in my mom's Samsung, which is more than twice as expensive, runs about 78 under full load.

Its fine to argue. I've repaired maybe 500 laptops in the past 2 years. And more PCs than I can count. Majority are AMD's. They just don't last. A high percent of those are heat related issues why I mention. You get what you pay for. And it all starts with the chip. Go cheap on the rest, not the chip. The PC's I build contain Intel only. Just one of the 100+ had a problem so far, bad memory chip.

Its fine to argue. I've repaired maybe 500 laptops in the past 2 years. And more PCs than I can count. Majority are AMD's. They just don't last. A high percent of those are heat related issues why I mention. You get what you pay for. And it all starts with the chip. Go cheap on the rest, not the chip. The PC's I build contain Intel only. Just one of the 100+ had a problem so far, bad memory chip.

I luv to argue.

Been in the PC/IT business for 17 years. The last AMD chip I had that was inop...........a K6-400. It was in a smoker's rig, fan clogged/inop and a user that did just not understand that those BSODs were due to an overheating CPU.

Desktops-A big part of the problem with AMD units, from big OEMs specifically, is the junk motherboards that those AMD chips get mounted on. AMD units are the low cost loss leaders for many OEMs and the motherboards and other components (like CPU coolers) are usually junk. Low end OEM Biostars/PC Chips/ECS boards are not the reliability kings. I have as many failures on low end Intel units.

If you have an AMD chip, mounted on a top quality board, it will live just as long as a comparable Intel chip.

As far a lappys, same applies. I have thrown a lot of motherboards in a lot of lappys. Never have seen a difference in AMD or Intel as far as reliability is concerned (at the same pricepoint). Don't get me started on NVidia chipset lappys though, that is another story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: punisher

I luv to argue.

Been in the PC/IT business for 17 years. The last AMD chip I had that was inop...........a K6-400. It was in a smoker's rig, fan clogged/inop and a user that did just not understand that those BSODs were due to an overheating CPU.

Desktops-A big part of the problem with AMD units, from big OEMs specifically, is the junk motherboards that those AMD chips get mounted on. AMD units are the low cost loss leaders for many OEMs and the motherboards and other components (like CPU coolers) are usually junk. Low end OEM Biostars/PC Chips/ECS boards are not the reliability kings. I have as many failures on low end Intel units.

If you have an AMD chip, mounted on a top quality board, it will live just as long as a comparable Intel chip.

As far a lappys, same applies. I have thrown a lot of motherboards in a lot of lappys. Never have seen a difference in AMD or Intel as far as reliability is concerned (at the same pricepoint). Don't get me started on NVidia chipset lappys though, that is another story.

I've had more recent AMD failures than that, but the VAST majority were motherboard/chipset related failures with gems from SiS, ALI, VIA as well as ATI and NVidia.

The biggest issue with AMD was when they stopped making their own chipsets. Prior to that, a high-end ASUS board sporting an AMD chipset (in a desktop) was likely on-par or close to on-par with an Intel chipset combo from the same brand.

Combine flaky chipsets with desktop CPU's "dumbed down" to run on lower power and stuff those in a laptop and you end up with why AMD's performance in the notebook realm was a complete and utter joke for ages.

Intel had a complete mobile platform with the Pentium-M, whilst AMD had a low voltage desktop CPU slapped on some 3rd party chipset which lacked any sort of power management. They weren't even comparable. But AMD was cheap, and so they sold.

I don't use AMD. But I do use ATI. I've had decades of good experience with Intel in everything from netbooks to servers; from an 8088 to 12-core Xeon rigs. I see nothing on the other side of the fence that would compel me to "give it a whirl".

Mac

Book

Pro

You know you want to
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Mac

Book

Pro

You know you want to
wink.gif

Oh, and I've decided on the toshiba. In the end, I decided that better battery life, CPU performance, bigger HDD, better keyboard was worth it more than a better GPU, and gigabit ethernet. I'll happily pay the little bit extra.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back