Replace desktop SATA hard drive with Laptop hard disk?

Will there be a problem if I replace my standard desktop hard drive with one meant for a laptop? The SATA connections look identical for each. It also seems that the power requirements of the laptop HDD are smaller (an advantage). How about longevity? Will the laptop HDD last the same duration as the the desktop version?

SATA connectors are a standard (although there's revisions over time) so if the connector fits, it will work. As far as longevity, check the manufacturer's specs. I don't know that there's a rule with desktop vs laptop form factors.

Laptop drives are usually slower. no advantage to using one in a desktop.. unless its space (ie the case is ITX)

No problem at all. Generally (very generally), desktop hard drives are tuned more for longevity since they have a comparatively easy life, while laptop drives are tuned for reliability since they live in in a harsher environment. But they are functionally identical if the specs are otherwise the same.

But the correct answer nowadays is to just buy an SSD.

Yes it works, and durability depends more on the model of the drive than "in general". The performance drop may be real but if you are that concerned about performance you should switch to SSD anyways.

Make sure you mount it right, if you do not and the 2.5" drive is loose in the case, it will last much shorter. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one, but if I have a left over I'd gladly use it in a desktop to replace a 3.5".

Back