Which lacquer thinner to put in gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided it! I'm going to add 1gal of lacquer thinner to 10 gallons of gas in vehicle to clear DTC's 0430/0420 for inefficient catalytic converter performance.

I'm going to wait until I've got a trip planned to drive at least 150mi to burn it in one go. Don't want to let it sit in the tank/lines/injectors overnight.

Question is, which of these two brands would be better to use based on the MSDS composition info?

Klean Strip:
1687980144782.jpg

or Rust-oleum?

1687980210005.jpg

I've decided it! I'm going to add 1gal of lacquer thinner to 10 gallons of gas in vehicle to clear DTC's 0430/0420 for inefficient catalytic converter performance.

I'm going to wait until I've got a trip planned to drive at least 150mi to burn it in one go. Don't want to let it sit in the tank/lines/injectors overnight.

Question is, which of these two brands would be better to use based on the MSDS composition info?

Klean Strip:
View attachment 163810

or Rust-oleum?

View attachment 163811
Good luck.

Methanol is something that every car manufacturer says never put in the gas tank.

They look about the same. There is no specific formula for lacquer thinner. These look like old formulations. There is a newer type intended to be less toxic which deletes the methanol and replaces the acetone with ethyl acetate.

Methanol is something that every car manufacturer says never put in the gas tank.

They look about the same. There is no specific formula for lacquer thinner. These look like old formulations. There is a newer type intended to be less toxic which deletes the methanol and replaces the acetone with ethyl acetate.
Probably the California specific formula.

So go with the one with less methanol perhaps?

Ran a full gal in my tank prior to a smog test, truck ran great passed smog and I'm good for the next 2 yrs, did a full tune up also so whatever it did (y)

Process (copied from another forum):

"You want half a tank to 1 gallon of lacquer thinner (paint thinner), try to get a quality one. Can be sourced from local hardware store. This is important to both the health of your engine, and yourself to follow these instructions exactly. You don't want to breathe in the chemicals that are going to be released. You are going to want to drive on a road that will allow you to drive non stop until you get to at least 1/8 to 1/16 a tank. This can be roughly 200 miles. Once you add the lacquer thinner to the tank, go straight to the freeway and drive. You want to do this on a warm engine to start. Your catalytic converter only works once you get to operating temperature, and you don't want deposits to form before it has a chance to burn through them. Once you are on the freeway and at operating temperature, do some spirited pulls. Mostly wanting to get in the high RPM range periodically. This will increase the air flow through the cats, and will also increase the temperature allowing the deposits to come loose easier. Once you get down to either the light coming on, or just shy of it, fill the tank up full. Go jump on the freeway and do a spirited pull or two and you're done.
IMPORTANT:
-1/2 tank to 1 gallon
-pour in at operating temperature
-don't stop driving until you are ready to fill up again
-don't fill up until you have reached at least 1/8 of a tank, preferably less, or closer to the light coming on
-do a couple spirited pulls to get the air flowing and temperature up
-find a quality lacquer thinner with preferably low VOC. (you and others are going to likely breath some of this in, best to keep it as clean as possible, especially for the people behind you)
-Make sure you fill the tank up full once done, and do not let it sit in the tank or the sysytem
-Go for 1-2 more spirited pulls to dilute any amount in the system still.
-get a flexible funnel to pour it in, or transfer it into a gallon fuel container to pour it in.

This process will clean your cat, and any deposits in your combustion chamber, and related parts."

I will go with the rust-oleum lacquer thinner, as it has the lesser % of methanol and listed as low VOC. Will report back!
You said you will report back, which one did you use and did it work?

I put a couple gallons of e85 into 1/4 tank of gas to get my old BMW through emissions. Cleaned it up and no long term issues. I felt more comfortable adding something designed for cars.
I run 3 gallons every tank . E85 does burn cooler and clearer than regular fuel but it’s not exactly a fuel system cleaner within itself. Redline S1 or BG44k are my favorites.

Klean Strip:
View attachment 163810

or Rust-oleum?

View attachment 163811
Hey man, any updates on the outcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back