Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know which is a better oil, provided they are the same cost.

Conditions:
Desert, summer climate with peaks of 45 deg C (113 deg F), Morning temperatures always above 20 deg C (68 deg F).
Engine is NOT oil cooled.
Occasionally engine revved to 5000 rpm, and sometimes 6000 rpm.
Vehicle - 1.6L Nissan Tiida/Versa

I want to know which one offers better protection to engine/better engine life, better clean-up, reduced engine noise, and smoother/fluid feel during acceleration. Basically which is a better oil provided they are the same cost.

The two oils are

Shell:
http://www.shell.com/global/products-ser...ix-hx7/hx7.html
TDS - http://www.epc.shell.com/docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_Arab_Emirates_Shell_Helix_HX7_10W-40_(SN_CF_A3_B4)_(ar-AE)_TDS_v2.pdf
MSDS - http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00354271.PDF

Havoline:
http://gulf.havoline.com/products/motor-oils5.aspx
TDS - https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=336717&docFormat=PDF
MSDS - https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/MSDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=399268&docFormat=PDF

Opinions please

Thanks

I think they'd both provide adequate protection. What's the gas like in your area? Unless it's low sulphur, I'd prefer the Shell A3/B4 versus the Chevron C3. But, if you're not going too long on your OCIs, that makes it a harder choice.

Funny, only this evening reading my sister's Tiida manual, hers is the MR18DE...yours is supposed to run Premium 95RON minimum, so should be decent(ish) fuel

Recommended was 5W-30, with all sorts of bands for temperatures.

Of those two, I'd use Havoline.

Over here, Shell sell the best petrol you can get anywhere outside a racetrack but their lube is only seen as average by the typical UK consumer. Formulations may be different between US and UK but I generally stay away from Helix oils - not due to seeing bad UOA results, just never heard anyone exclaim how good their product is..

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Funny, only this evening reading my sister's Tiida manual, hers is the MR18DE...yours is supposed to run Premium 95RON minimum, so should be decent(ish) fuel

Recommended was 5W-30, with all sorts of bands for temperatures.

But 91RON is cheaper here, so I ignore 95RON fuel and run 91RON. Been doing that from 2.5 years, and all seems good so far. Hope its all good internally too.

Originally Posted By: Olas

Over here, Shell sell the best petrol you can get anywhere outside a racetrack but their lube is only seen as average by the typical UK consumer. Formulations may be different between US and UK but I generally stay away from Helix oils - not due to seeing bad UOA results, just never heard anyone exclaim how good their product is..

I agree totally on the fuel front. I use Shell diesel almost exclusively in the Jag.

But on the oil front i can't agree.

Havoline is not easy to find anywhere.

And isn't specified by any manufacturers that i know of.

Of the two i would go for Shell. I have non complaints with the Shell C1 5w30 i put in the Jag for the 3k before Jag did the 96k service early at 95k.

Used no oil whatsoever and was used in pretty harsh conditions. In a powerful turbodiesel with a dpf.

Don't know what Jag used as i forgot to ask. But i would strongly suspect it would Castrol

As i am based in London and you are based in Manchester coule it simply be regional differences in supply and maybe Havoline is more popular where you are.

From memory Havoline is made by Texaco, a mate had his best fuel economy results with Texaco diesel. Maybe those living in London are missing a trick.

One thing i would like to ask

Is it correct that Penzoil products are made by Shell?

If that is indeed correct Penziol products do have a good rep on the forum.

Last edited:
Havoline, IMO. Would want to see a voa. ACEA A3 might be a consideration...

Yes, Pennzoil and Quaker State are under the SOPUS (Shell Oil Products United States) umbrella over here.

Originally Posted By: Olas

Helix is very well regarded in the United States (it is sold under the Pennzoil name instead).

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
The cleanliness off the fuel is unrelated to the RON value. After all, dirty vs clean fuel is measured in ppm values.

My point was that if the car specified premium, it's more likely "premium"

Originally Posted By: dparm

Helix is very well regarded in the United States (it is sold under the Pennzoil name instead).

Wait, are Helix and PYB the exact same product?

Edit: They aren't. According to Shell's global site the conventional (yellow bottle) Helix types are all SL rated. Not the same formulation as our newer spec North American Pennzoil.

Last edited:
The cleanliness off the fuel is unrelated to the RON value. After all, dirty vs clean fuel is measured in ppm values.

Yes, this is what I'm getting at. I'm not concerned about octane rating. If it's low sulphur gasoline, go for the C3 rated lube. If it's not low sulphur, go the A3/B4 route. I've mentioned this because other Middle Eastern posters have complained about gasoline quality.

+1 to Garak. I was only addressing Shannow as I agreed with your earlier observation and for some reason I have been focusing on differences in view recently more than agreement.

In my point of view, from the North American (and a little SE Asian) side, the fuel being sold will have as much sulfur content as allowable by law. Here in NAM, the premium will tend to have more detergents than regular gas. The US allows higher Sulfur content than Europe right now, so the oil should be stouter or changed more often that would be needed in Europe. If I were concerned about fuel delivery components and to a certain extent the combustion chamber, the higher detergent in the premium fuel would be warranted.

I personally try to stick with Top Tier fuels and run Techron once an OCI. The Techron might be available to the OP while Top Tier isn't.

Apologies for the rant/ veer off to the side.

Last edited:
All engines are oil cooled. Water supplements the oil cooling.
Think about it. Every contact point is lubricated and cooked with oil,that heat is carried away by the oil.
I saw an article where the writer estimated that oil cools a minimum of 60% of the engine,minimum,water picks up the rest.
Sounds plausible to me.

Op. Both will do the job adequately depending on the spec required by your oem.
I'm partial to shell but I'd use the other brand too if it's what was there

In my point of view, from the North American (and a little SE Asian) side, the fuel being sold will have as much sulfur content as allowable by law.

Yep, on this side of the pond, we'd want to cut our OCI if using a low SAPS lube, or get our gas in California, at the very least.
wink.gif

Based on paper, I would choose Havoline due to full synthetic formulation. I do not believe HX7 is full synthetic like the Ultra range(NA Pennzoil series). HX7 is meant for lower cost formulation on the developing countries where they are pitted against Mobil Super Synthetic range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back