Which choice is better for these conditions ?

Messages
7
Location
Thailand
I am from Thailand, sorry about my bad english. I doubting about this, changing oil interval, kind and Viscosity of oil. Which choice is better, if main purpose is Engine protection ? 1. Fully Synthetic @ 8,000km/1-1.5yr(s) vs Semi Syntheic @ 5,000km/6-9months changings. 2. xW-40 vs xW-30 (Only xW-30 will pass the ILSAC GF-5 approved, suitable for E85, and have E85 Emultion Retension ability.) Usage conditions: - Not much use car, 0.5-2 times a week, ~<7,000 km/yr (~4349.598 miles/yr). - Usaually in Bangkok traffic condition, or non-traffic but short distacne <18.6 Miles (30km). - Some time I like to drive fast in traffic, low speed but high rpm (But not more than 5,500rpm). (I am impatient driver, especially in city traffic.) Car conditions/problems and other: - D16Y4 A/T Civic EK '96 with 220,000 miles mileages (350,000 km mileages). - Always use E85 fuel. (So I worry about E85 Emultion Retension) - Environment Air temp 73~104°F (23~40°C). - I'm using 5W-40 have some engine oil lost at 6,600 km mileages(count from last changing) (From High level to nearly Low level). - Some time I smell of burnt Engine Oil when use high rpm. Main purpose is Engine protection. First question, I don't know which one is better, but now a day I use 1st method (Fully Synthetic [email protected] 8,000km/1-1.5yr(s)), at nearly 7,000 km I've found my engine oil's color is look brown to dark-brown. Second question, now I use 5W-40 because I saw my car have engine oil lost problem. So I think xW-40 is better than xW-30. But after research, I have new worry about E85 Emultion Retension.) [Linked Image from f.ptcdn.info] [Linked Image from f.ptcdn.info] Refs about E85 Emulsion Retension: https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/92690 https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/1817/6-passenger-car-engine-oil-na.pdf https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/2027/api-brochure-2018.pdf https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/1816/5-engine-oil-specifications-na.pdf http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm http://www.lubrita.com/news/258/671/ILSAC-GF-6-Passenger-Car-Automotive-Specification---LUBRITA/ https://www.motor.com/2019/05/get-ready-gf-6-motor-oil/
 

HeadEgg

Thread starter
Messages
7
Location
Thailand
Originally Posted by userfriendly
In your climate and car, a 23 year old civic, SAE 30 or any CJ-4 or CK-4 15W40. Avoid marine engine oils as they separate out water.
Did you mean SN ? Because I use gasoline car. I worry about choosing between SAE 30 and 40. And between Synthetic and Semi-Synthetic.
 
Messages
3,374
Location
BC, Canada
Now I can't get that tune out of my head "One Night in Bangkok". Most 15W40 CJ-4 and CK-4s are also SN rated. Oil companies are not going to waste money licencing mono-grades, so typically you will see a list of obsolete specifications that cost nothing to display.
 
Messages
1,793
Location
TX, USA
I am not an expert, but that is a 96 model year way before there is E85 fuel. I am assuming E85 fuel is 85% Ethanol? Sorry if it is not mean Ethanol, then don't worry about what I said. I suspect, the use of E85 has caused the issue in the engine, may be the hoses started to melt, etc. The melting hoses happen in the US with old cars ever since they put Ethanol in the gas. E85 is a choice here in the US, but it is only for vehicle that can use E85. Most old cars or even new Japanese brand cars are not recommending to use E85. Is E85 your only choice for fuel? Have you checked to make sure that all the fuel system part are still good?
 
Last edited:

HeadEgg

Thread starter
Messages
7
Location
Thailand
Originally Posted by userfriendly
Now I can't get that tune out of my head "One Night in Bangkok". Most 15W40 CJ-4 and CK-4s are also SN rated. Oil companies are not going to waste money licencing mono-grades, so typically you will see a list of obsolete specifications that cost nothing to display.
lol Thank you so much for your clarify.
 
Messages
2,343
Location
WA
73°F-104°F ambient temp. 4 Cylinder? '96 with 220K. 4400 miles per year. You Also say only xW30 is GF-5 approved suitable for E85 ... Try 10W30 dino first then a syn-blend. Some older cars don't like synthetic. I also wouldn't rev an old 4-cyl? car to 5500 RPM. Maybe %60-70 of red line max.
 

HeadEgg

Thread starter
Messages
7
Location
Thailand
Originally Posted by JMJNet
I am not an expert, but that is a 96 model year way before there is E85 fuel. I am assuming E85 fuel is 85% Ethanol? Sorry if it is not mean Ethanol, then don't worry about what I said. I suspect, the use of E85 has caused the issue in the engine, may be the hoses started to melt, etc. The melting hoses happen in the US with old cars ever since they put Ethanol in the gas. E85 is a choice here in the US, but it is only for vehicle that can use E85. Most old cars or even new Japanese brand cars are not recommending to use E85. Is E85 your only choice for fuel? Have you checked to make sure that all the fuel system part are still good?
Yes. E85 is 85% Ethanol. I already changed the old rubber hoses to the hoses that's support E85. They only have in inside fuel tank and at near the injector rail. Other hoses is not rubber Now I have only choice for E85, because I only changed injectors to the big one (and rotate ignition distributor to adjust ignition timing to before TDC), but still don't tuning by any ecu-box.
 

HeadEgg

Thread starter
Messages
7
Location
Thailand
Originally Posted by OilUzer
73°F-104°F ambient temp. 4 Cylinder? '96 with 220K. 4400 miles per year. You Also say only xW30 is GF-5 approved suitable for E85 ... Try 10W30 dino first then a syn-blend. Some older cars don't like synthetic. I also wouldn't rev an old 4-cyl? car to 5500 RPM. Maybe %60-70 of red line max.
Yes. 4 Cylinder. What is "dino" ? Do you mean full synthetic ? Sorry I new for motor oil knowledge. Thank you for your recommend about rev to 60-70%, this is my new knowledge. Did you mean it shouldn't over than 60-70% ? I saw it, Redline: 6,800 rpm, Rev-limiter: 7,200 rpm. Is this mean it shouldn't over 4300-5000 RPM ?
 
Messages
2,343
Location
WA
Dino is conventional oil meaning not synthetic. I have one old car (97 and much more miles than yours) that burns oil with syn-blend 5W30 but not with 10W30 conventional oil for whatever the reason ... That's why I said try dino, then syn-blend and see what happens. At your temp, you don't need a 0W or 5W oil. That's why @userfriendly suggested earlier to use SAE30 or 15W40. I like that idea but I don't know if straight 30 oils meet all other specs like multigrade oils do. Maybe they do ... you have to research. Also like 15W40 or 10W40 idea but you said only xW30 meets some spec that you need ... That's why I suggested 10W30. If it was my car, I would also try 10/15W40. As far as rpm, it's just my personal experience. With my very old cars assuming 6800 redline, I wouldn't rev them above 4000 (%60). To be honest, I don't even go past 3500 for a long time! the bottom may fall off if you do that grin2 Btw, with our speed limits, I never have to go over 3100 rpm anyways ...I if you want to test my theory, give an old car to a high school kid. LOL
 

HeadEgg

Thread starter
Messages
7
Location
Thailand
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Dino is conventional oil meaning not synthetic. I have one old car (97 and much more miles than yours) that burns oil with syn-blend 5W30 but not with 10W30 conventional oil for whatever the reason ... That's why I said try dino, then syn-blend and see what happens. At your temp, you don't need a 0W or 5W oil. That's why @userfriendly suggested earlier to use SAE30 or 15W40. I like that idea but I don't know if straight 30 oils meet all other specs like multigrade oils do. Maybe they do ... you have to research. Also like 15W40 or 10W40 idea but you said only xW30 meets some spec that you need ... That's why I suggested 10W30. If it was my car, I would also try 10/15W40. As far as rpm, it's just my personal experience. With my very old cars assuming 6800 redline, I wouldn't rev them above 4000 (%60). To be honest, I don't even go past 3500 for a long time! the bottom may fall off if you do that grin2 Btw, with our speed limits, I never have to go over 3100 rpm anyways ...I if you want to test my theory, give an old car to a high school kid. LOL
Oh OK. May be I try xW40 or xW30 but by Dino oil. Thank you so much for your explanation laugh
 
Top