Which High Mileage Syn in 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Silverado 2500HD with 6.0 gas engine. 94k miles. Does NOT use oil. Does NOT leak.
I plan to drive this to 300k at least.
Unlike all of our toyotas, every Ford or Chevy I've owned past 150k has had some degree of oil leaks...including rear mains in the trucks. While HM oils helped these leaks to varying degrees, I never cured one.
So.....I'm considering switching the 2500 to HM now. Because HM formulas "help" seals, I'd rather do it as a preventative instead of a post-leak treatment.
Considering that, which of the HM full syns in the current 5w30 versions would you use?
1) I want to stay full syn. (Currently running Amsoil SS)
2) I want to stay 5w-30.
3) I do tow often in the warmer seasons.
Other---I was surprised to see that the Dexos Valvoline FSwML has a higher Noack of 12.2 as well as worse pour point than M1HM and PPHM. I also see PPHM pour point is considerably lower than M1HM, but flash point is not nearly as good...maybe just because it's on the thinner end of viscosity?

Originally Posted By: lukejo
2009 Silverado - 94k miles. Does NOT use oil. Does NOT leak., every Ford or Chevy I've owned past 150k has had some degree of oil leaks...including rear mains in the trucks.

I think it has a lot to do with modern CNC machine practices and VERY strict QC controls in modern engine factories.

I know of a TON of vehicles from many different makes (Chevy and Ford not excluded) with well over 200,000 miles and do not burn oil, nor do they leak oil.

When you tell someone you have 94K miles and they reply "Hey, she's just getting broke in!"..... they aren't kidding.

Oh - - - - having just said all that -
I currently have 8K on an OCI of Harvest King 5W-20 (Dexos 1 approved)
in my 2008 F150 with 155,000 miles and it doesn't burn or leak a drop.

If engine was run exclusively on Amsoil SS I see no need to change what so ever. If engine ran on this that and everything else pick one I do like M1 cost and performance heck Max Life probably good enough.

I have tried most of the HM oils and right now I am a fan of Valvoline full synthetic with Maxlife technology. It comes in different weights, so pick your flavor... I have used 0W20 and also the 5W30 weights and all my engines seem to run smooth, quiet and like they should.

Last edited:
My FIL has an '03 1500HD (6.0) he bought 2 1/2 years ago at auction with 230-something on it - none of the gauges work but his driving routine is regular enough that it can be calculated within a thousand or two miles a quarter and it figures out to a minimum of 30K a year. He drives 80 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, beats it around the farm, redlines it when he gets into a muddy patch in the field - makes me cringe. Since replacing the transmission and beginning this driving routine 2 years ago I've changed the oil 4 times with Maxlife red bottle 10w30 - Christmas and 4th of July-ish. Do the math. It has to be very close, if not slightly over, 300K now.

If you have as much concern for your truck's oil regimen as it seems you do, any FSHM will be the last thing that causes any failure in the 6.0.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 HM 5w30 always been my favorite. Its also cheap at walmart. that what I be running on my terminator since its getting up their now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back