Which Grade Would You Run ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of my 2007 Kia Sedona & 2010 Hyundai Elantra Oil Fill Caps are stamped 5W20 - yet the owners manuals for both states 5W20 , 5W30 and 10W30 are acceptable and their use depends on ambient conditions . I normally run 5W20 (without thinking about it) but lately I am finding deals on 5W30,10W30 oil and not 5W20 . Considering here in Atlanta we are entering our 14th straight day over 90 degrees I'm thinking 5W30 would not only work well - it may actually be the better choice ...your thoughts ?

The 0w-30 may potentially "void" a warranty....so I wouldn't go that far....perhaps once it's out of warranty, that car is still under warranty, presumably until 2017 (the Sedona).

But yea, you should be "OK" using 5W-30....the cpl times I took my Kia's to the dealer, that's what they said they were using, 5W-30 bulk pennzoil...was 2+ years ago though.

On the other hand though, I know in my locale, it seems to be easier to find a 5W-20, than a 5W-30....the XW-20 oils haven't really "set in" yet here.....so all the 10W-30 and 5W-30 is usually sold out, and loads of 5W-20......in fact last top off, I had to use 5W-20 "in a pinch" lol.

It's been smoking hot down here lately. I'd pour some SAE 60 in those babies and be prepared for the downtown connector traffic as they turn our HOV lanes into toll roads.

OK,, actually I'd choose a synthetic 5W-30. Specifically one that meets Honda's HTO-06, ie. Mobil-1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

My vote goes for 5W20. We own/have owned 4 Hyundai vehicles and run 5W20 year around.

We live just a few miles from Florida state line and have long hot summers.

Town still has several Ford Police cars that run on 5W20 and you know the abuse they get.

5W20 will serve you well.

Thanks for the replies ...to Tommygunn's point : Yeah I don't believe I can run 0W30 as Kia and Hyundai have not called it out for current or back spec'd usage. Your right about more of the 5W20 oils on the shelf - accept when O'Reilly runs an oil only sale (no combo with filter) they often bring in just 5W30 and 10W30 oil inventory to support the sale .

I don't even buy oil in bulk anymore, for a "stash". I just buy it when I need it. Especially for a vehicle in warranty, and if you want to save receipts, just buy it when you need it. You might save a few dollars buying a different grade or by buying it at a case sale, but in my opinion, the trouble of narrating receipts to show that 4 quarts of this 12 quart purchase were used on such-and-such date, and another 4 quarts on this other date, etc, is too much hassle for the benefit you get (small amount of money saved).

I would personally use 5W-20 oil all day long. I live in a similar climate as you (southeast North Carolina), and both of my vehicles call for, and receive, 5W-20.

It states right in the manual.
"higher viscosity engine oils are REQUIRED for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather." 8-5 2011 Hyundai Sonata Manual

5w20/5w30/10w30 are all recommended according to temp. for the 2.4 GDi engine. If you have the 2.0 Turbo TGDi 5w30 or 5w40 are recommended.

xw30 is the way to go.

Says the same thing for my 2011 3.8L Genesis. I'm running 5w20, and Hyundai's very nebulous 'high temperature sentence' aside, I plan on sticking to that.

The dealer here in NC uses 5w20 and not sure how much hotter Atlanta, but I'd stick with 5w20 there too. The Temp Range for SAE Viscosity Numbers graph shows 5w20 or 5w30 with the exact SAME temp range.

Today's 5w20 oils are excellent and I see no reason doubt their performance in high ambient temps. Ford tested Motorcraft Syn Blend in desert temps and under towing conditions. Results were excellent. If it were mine I'd stick with 5w20.

One would think after more than 10 years of 5w20 being spec'd successfully in Honda's and Ford's that would be enough.

So 5w30, better choice, not in my opinion.

Over 3,750 miles a 2% difference in fuel cost would be roughly $10 in the the Elantra and $15 in the Sedona.

Im not offering an opinion on whether there is a difference in mileage or protection as by now I think everyone has made up their own mind.

PS Our 1.6L Accent gets short tripped a lot and has QSGB 5W20 in it.

Last edited:
Sayjac: On one hand you have 5W20 stamped on the oil fill cap and then as you coreectly stated the nebulous high temperature statement in the owners manual . Seems like I could run 5W30 in the Summer / Fall and 5W20 in the Winter/Spring . To date , I have run 5W20 VWB , PYB , FS , MC Syn Blend and QSAD at 4K OCI's all year long because it seemed the right thing to do .

I don't know why people fear 5w20 oils in hot weather, there really isn't a massive difference in the operating viscosity between it and a 5w30. Most 5w30s are around 10.0 cst at 100c, while most 5w20s are around 8.5. That's not really a big difference, especially when you consider the fact that a lot of the 5w30 conventionals will end up thinning out to that level anyhow. But at least with the 5w20s they have a lower viscosity at startup and generally speaking I think the 5w20s are built a little bit better than the same brand's 5w30 counterpart.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Sayjac: On one hand you have 5W20 stamped on the oil fill cap and then as you coreectly stated the nebulous high temperature statement in the owners manual . Seems like I could run 5W30 in the Summer / Fall and 5W20 in the Winter/Spring . To date , I have run 5W20 VWB , PYB , FS , MC Syn Blend and QSAD at 4K OCI's all year long because it seemed the right thing to do .
When I posted my recommendation, I did so based on my experience using 5w20 in two other spec'd vehicles, one since 01 (Civic), and my reading on the subject here over time. The post directly above (Patman's) pretty much summarizes what that reading has been.

As for Hyundai's vague OM sentence, frankly until it was pointed out yesterday I can't remember seeing it. I saw the chart and that is what I was going by. IMO, unless the engine is being subjected to regular towing and/or racing (WOT), the ambient temp in Atlanta wouldn't be a factor in using 5w20. In other words, with an average load, using 5w20 year round should work fine. Plus the benefits at startup and mpg (however small), tend to favor 5w20. And any of the 5w20 oils used for 4k OCI's would all be fine if not a tad conservative on the oci.

All that said, if running 5w30 in the summer makes you feel more confident, or for whatever reason, it's your vehicle. I just gave my answer to the question of what I would run and why.

Does anyone know the high end ambient temperature difference (if any) between a 5W20 and 5W30 ? My Hyundai & Kia owners manuals cut off both for max temp yet show a difference at the low temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back