which gas station gives you highest mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone were to do a survey on top 2 gasoline brands for best mpg, additive pack, or quantity(alot of stations around local area), i would have to say Shell, being the best and Chevron, being second here in texas.

Shell 87 octane gives me about 5% better fuel efficiency (mpg) than any other brand (no-name, Mobil, others). And considering the high price of fuel now, given the 9 cent difference between Shell and no-name 87 octane is about 0.09/2.30 (about 3.9%), it is totally worth it penny-wise to run Shell.

Gas prices could drop to about $1.80 per gallon for it to be equal between Shell and no-name gasoline for me.

I use FP60 at the recommended dose in all my fill-ups. This is in a 2002 Impreza TS (2.5l, SOHC, flat 4)

It weird cause my 126,000 mile 5.0 doesn't drink **'s brand gas as much as it did Chevrons. I went through Chevrons gas way to fast, went back to **'s and it's lasted my quite a bit longer. I get the same performance with it as well.....weird

Any Premium (93) but Amoco/BP in my Vette and it pings...why?
dunno.gif

Mileage comparisons I have done between 10% ethanol blended gas and 100% gas show no measurable difference. Power-wise I can't feel any difference either between blend and straight. Talking 93 octane.

I switched from Phillips 66 to Valero in all my vehicles and they all feel like they've had a tune-up. My wife's GTP has never run as good as it does now nd itt pepped up my Formula as well. Gas mileage has improved as well.

I know Valero is not Top Tier like Phillips, but I know what I feel in the "butt-dyno." I just wasn't getting any performance or mileage out of Phillips 66 anymore.

The brand of gasoline makes no difference where I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The fuel is off loaded from tankers in the bay. Almost all tanker trucks fill up at the Brisbane facility. Brisbane is a small town just South of San Francisco. You can watch all brands come in to tank up. We have huge oil storage facilities and they are usually shared.

I don't know anything about the behind-the-scenes corporate politics regarding the "Top Tier" list, but I did find this in an Edmunds forum:

"ExxonMobil has been providing detergent additized gasolines since the 1950s and we are proud of our historical leadership in this area. In fact, back in 1985, ExxonMobil pioneered gasolines that cleaned up fuel injector deposits. All of our current gasolines are formulated to meet stringent performance standards and exceed all industry and government specifications for detergency. All Exxon and Mobil gasolines pass the performance criteria of the TOP TIER program.

Thank you for contacting ExxonMobil.

Jacqueline Levesque
Exxon Mobil Corporation"

Edmunds Forum

quote:

EXXON-MOBIL is DELETE from the TOP TIER list?

I am shocked, as the creator of Mobil 1 is not there?

keep in mind that Exxon and Mobil have only recently merged(1999) into a single company. I doubt that all the quality products on the mobil side have trickled all the way down.

I dont know anything about scientific factors but about 25 years ago - my dad with his 73 dodge dart (slant 6) MIXED up some texaco and gulf (equal parts roughly) and got this brew that yielded more miles per gallon than expected (then a ride to the shore and back: about 65 miles each way; about 90 percent hi-way driving)and this with a car with only a 3sp auto (no overdrive). I am hoping next weekend to try this

No difference in MPG with any gas stations I've bought fuel at.

I major thing I look for are that they are busy and have lowest price.
fruit.gif

Never had any fuel problems in 30+ years of driving.

Never had a fuel injector off.

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I switch between Shell V-Power and Amaco ultimate
but never just one brand of gas, just to get different cleaning additives. What one add may not clean "maybe" the other might.

I'm in Northern Illinois, pretty much all the gas is Ethanol blended and says so on the pump. I've been using Marathon regular now for about 3 months and it's the only gas I've used that completely stops my 3.1L Chevy motor from having cold running hesitation in the morning. I don't see anywhere on the pumps about any Ethanol being added. Gas mileage and performance is great too.

Could be because Marathon has less cleaning solvent in the gas. I get the most cold hesitation using Shell -- which is a Top-tier gas with alot of cleaning agents.

My best guess is that your Marathon gas will work fine in cold situations until one day when the gas line or injectors gets plugged-up. Then you will need a cleaner to umplug it & hopefully not a tow truck too.

I've noticed the same thing using Marathon. Engine runs smoother after start-up & MPG are up slightly. But I still use a mix of Shell, BP and Mobil instead. With my last vehicle using this method, I never added any fuel injection cleaner in the 17 years I owned the vehicle.

Just piece of mind & no need to think about running to auto stores 2-4 times a year buying preventative medicine cleaners for the gas tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back