Which fresh oil is the clearest (whitest) of all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To your knowledge which motor oil is the whitest when fresh?

I know the color of oil, either when fresh or after use doesn't mean much. Just wondering which oil that you've used is the clearest when fresh.

I get a high off watching clearer oil turn dark with use. Which to me means its doing its job. The darker the oil when i remove it, the happier I am.

So far to my knowledge in order. Top being clearest

1. NAPA Full Synthetic - Clearest
2. Valvoline WB Conv. - Clear

3. Pennzoil YB - Amber
4. QS Full Synthetic - Dark Amber

I wish all oil came in transparent bottles like Quaker-state, making it easier for me. Would like your input. I am on a quest to find this out and soon will buy a quart each of all brands and all types within each brand.

Last edited:
Brad-Penn Fuel Effecient 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 has a colour of '1.5', which is basically clear.

it would be a SM only 5w20 or 5w30 all GPII or GPIII.

GPI will add color so will a high vis stright grade like a 30 or 40wt.

Always thought gtx was pretty clear. And everytime I change the oil on my moms civic it comes out looking like diesal oil, tar, jet black. Guess that's a good thing. Been like that for awhile

Last edited:
The NAPA full synthetic 5w-30 and Valvoline WB 5W-20 were very clear. Almost like water. Almost.

Last edited:
I really have a hard time reading the dipstick when using RP

18.gif

Eneos 5w40 looks like baby oil and it's very tacky when it pours out of the bottle at the very end.

Originally Posted By: NC_Oil_Obsessed

I get a high off watching clearer oil turn dark with use.

You will fit in here just fine.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

I found Amsoil ASM the clearest, also the hardest to see on the dipstick when fresh.

i've found valvoline conventioanl and durablend to be really clear and turning a very pale yellow soon after a change.

M1 10w-30 has been the darkest fresh oil i've seen, honey coloured pretty much.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

I get a high off watching clearer oil turn dark with use.

You will fit in here just fine.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Either that or you need to see a counsellor...

The old Amsoil TSO 0W-30 was really light coloured out of the bottle. Did a couple of changes for people when I worked at WM with it, and it was heck to read the dip-stick after.

OP -- you get a high watching oil turn dark, and are on a quest -- and will buy a quart of all brands.i wish that i got a buzz from watching oil darken.you're a lucky guy.it costs a lot of money for me to get like that.
your name states that you are obsessed with oil.
this is what happens when cousins marry. just kidding.there are many like you on the board, such as the ones that cannot wait for their OCI time, and get off on changing oil.for me, an OC is just a 2 beer chore.
i can picture many bitoger's clutching their chest's after reading the previous sentence.apologies if i have caused any members a change in heart rhythm.
you'll fit in well here. welcome to the board.

Ok I know why Valvoline looks very clear like water: check the add pack on this oil.
34.gif

The NAPA full synthetic 5w-30 and Valvoline WB 5W-20 were very clear. Almost like water. Almost.

I guess to each their own. We all need something to get us going, a distraction from our everyday lives, Monday to Friday jobs. For some its golf, 10000$ kitchen cabinets, video games.. Every one of them costs money and you can argue that it is not a necessity, but it gives us what we need, a time away from our lives.

To me its about buying a beater for 2 weeks pay and making it last as long as the other guy who paid 10 times that for another car.

Its also about priorities. For some its important to have DVD players, Blue tooth, parking assist etc.

Looking forward to an OC or overdoing them is really not that expensive. At 8$ or less for four quarts and the fact that doing them more often than necessary is certainly not going to hurt if not help.

Hey, if you can get off on spending 8 dollars every 3 months, then more power to you. Some blow it on cigarettes, 50$ haircuts, 100$/month cable packages. We blow it on Oil!!!

If i was a mechanic and my job revolved around cars, i wouldn't care for them so much, just like i don't care for computers or programming anymore.

Originally Posted By: yeti
OP -- there are many like you on the board, such as the ones that cannot wait for their OCI time, and get off on changing oil.for me, an OC is just a 2 beer chore.
i can picture many bitoger's clutching their chest's after reading the previous sentence.apologies if i have caused any members a change in heart rhythm.
you'll fit in well here. welcome to the board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back