Which flushing machine to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading on the boards quite a bit about flushes but I really know very little about cars.

So I am going to get a flush (1st one)on the 02 Grand Caravan 60k. (I plan on doing it once a year)
1. Are there certain machines that I should be looking for? T-tech
2. Should I tell them not to add any additives or solvents
3. Do I just go with the standard fluid the shop provides?

Also for the Taurus 160k (runs fine and I drive like an old lady)flushed once at 50k, I was thinking about not flushing after reading the posts here and just starting to drop the pan and change the fluid once a year. I understand about not getting all the fluid out. Does that sound OK?

Thanks.

personally, Id try to avoid using a machine like this.

How about a one-time investment, and a likely equivalent end result?

Here it is:

Buy an electric oil pump, used for changing oil on boats, etc. It has a 12V motor, and plastic lines for in and out. Maybe $20 or so.

Stick the line down your ATF filler tube (easy to find, even if you dont know much about cars), suck out all that you can (ought to drain the pan most-way), replace the fluid you removed.

Do a little bit every oil change, or do it once a year, or whatever interval you want to.

Every so often (Id suggest the mileage interval from the owner's manual), have the pan dropped, filter replaced with the fluid. If youre handy, you can do it, otherwise a shop will do it for probably half the price of the flush machine. Never in my experience more than what they charge for the flush.

Doing this renews the fluid at your interval, is simple and painless, and ensures that you get the right fluid in your trans.

Often the flush places dont drop the pan and replace the filter... big no-no.

The only benefit to a flush is on transmissions that dont have a drainable torque converter. Dropping the pan and draining wont get it out, and IMO is where a typical transmission service falls a little bit short. However, by sucking out and replacing the fluid more often with your machine, you are effectively keeping your fluid newer, so there isnt a need to drain the converter.

JMH

When I worked at a Q-Lube (Quaker State at the time, now a Jiffy Lube) the transmission flusher was just filled from the bulk ATF tank. That was 6 years ago but we never put anything extra into the oil. It held about 20 litres of oil but it was up to the manager as to when to stop the transfusion. I recall one guy with a Corvette getting the full 20 litres while the guy with a new to him Olds with rotten oil only getting 6 litres.
spaz.gif
If you are present keep an eye on the machine and speak up if you want it run longer.

Steve

For both cars would you do that or just for the Taurus considering its miles? And should I use Auto-RX first?

Also, if I do decide on a dealer flush, is there a specific one to look for?

[ March 16, 2005, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: coopns ]

I had my CRV trans flushed and radiator flushed with BG at the Foriegn Car place I go to. I brought my own fluids. However, after reading this board and some others, I will not do that again. I think just draining it and filling it will be just as good. ( Correct me please!)

NOthing in my Helms manual says "flush" transmission and coolant, just says drain and refill.

The Hondas I've worked on are different from many other cars in that a smaller proportion of the ATF remains in the transmission after the sump is drained. I feel that I do a good job on a Honda transmission by three drains and refills with a short drive between.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back