Which european oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to try some different oil in my car. It is a Chevrolet LA1 3.4l pushrod engine. Has 103k, and has been run on PP, PU, and M1 since 60k. I am looking at Total and Motul 8100. Which of these two would be better? Any other suggestions? I am looking to stay under $55 shipped for 5L.

What are you trying to accomplish?

They're both good oils. If you just want to try out different oils, then give them both a try, one after the other.

Other options include Pentosin, LubroMoly, Fuchs...

Not trying to accomplish anything other than running something different. Motor runs great, no sludge, no varnish, no noise. Never had a UOA and don't plan on getting on. I just like trying new things. Oil will only be ran for 6k at the most.

Flip a coin.
smile.gif

i don't blame you aussiek, euro. oils are far superior then american oils with all the gov regulations and the dumbing down that has been done to our oils for the sake of the greenie scam going on here.so i would use the ones that quattro mentioned along with motul and american made red line which has a euro rating..

I've always liked GM's series of 60-degree pushrod V6's.
At 103k miles, maybe it's time for a High-Mileage oil. How about M1 5w30 HM? You may be surprised at how quickly it turns dark. It did in my Camaro. (Must have been something in there that needed cleaning.) M1 HM gave me very low oil consumption as well.
Or if you want to try an ester oil, how about Red Line 0w30? Winter's coming on, and you can get the cold-starting benefits of a 0w-oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I've always liked GM's series of 60-degree pushrod V6's.
At 103k miles, maybe it's time for a High-Mileage oil. How about M1 5w30 HM? You may be surprised at how quickly it turns dark. It did in my Camaro. (Must have been something in there that needed cleaning.) M1 HM gave me very low oil consumption as well.
Or if you want to try an ester oil, how about Red Line 0w30? Winter's coming on, and you can get the cold-starting benefits of a 0w-oil.

It doesn't need a high mileage. Made a 2nd gear 6300rpm 100mph pull last night. Next time I have the valve covers off, I'll post pics. Clean as a brand new cyl. head.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i don't blame you aussiek, euro. oils are far superior then american oils with all the gov regulations and the dumbing down that has been done to our oils for the sake of the greenie scam going on here.so i would use the ones that quattro mentioned along with motul and american made red line which has a euro rating..

Certain types of Euro oils now have extremely low metallic additive counts in cases where the oil is used in a Diesel with DPF.

Read each package and manufacturer PDF carefully, or you might end up with something that has no advantage over generic American synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back