Which do you prefer? Holes? Louvers? Be prepared for your mind to be blown..... A Third Option!

Here's a ~5 year old wire backed Ultra I just took a photo of.

Capture+_2023-03-04-18-43-58.jpg

Wish they made a metal cage like an e-core, with say 10-ga wire in a 1/4” square pattern, paired with metal end caps and a screened coil-spring-loaded bypass.
Seems something spring shaped could provide support and utilize existing manufacturing …
OTOH - after some teething … eCore has worked out - I have used many ACD’s and ST’s …

I don't have "a preference", but have used many of both types over the years. In my experience both work just fine, in other words function properly.

I do read 'claims' that louvers may not appear open or open enough with eyeball or even camera shots down tube it filters. I know from looking at latter, depending on camera angle some louvers do 'appear' more open than others. Seen that here many times including but not limited to my own c&p louver pics. Louvers open in two directions, half face base and half face dome. The ones facing the base are always the easier to see. And need keep in mind, always more louver openings per tube area than holes.

Lastly, other than a completely obvious visual louver outlier, a pic with light down center tube with media removed, is 'for me' the ultimate proof of a "claim" of louvers not being functionally open. One reason why on my louvered filter c&ps even with other included louver pics and media removed, I generally include the light down tube pic (most recent shown Bosch Prem by Puro) as final proof. My .05

143004-c6343cdf481e9fe3b1d9e5eeb87766b3.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have "a preference", but have used many of both types over the years. In my experience both work just fine, in other words function properly.

I do read 'claims' that louvers may not appear open or open enough with eyeball or even camera shots down tube it filters. I know from looking at latter, depending on camera angle some louvers do 'appear' more open than others. Seen that here many times including but not limited to my own c&p louver pics. Louvers open in two directions, half face base and half face dome. The ones facing the base are always the easier to see. And need keep in mind, always more louver openings per tube area than holes.

Lastly, other than a completely obvious visual louver outlier, a pic with light down center tube with media removed, is 'for me' the ultimate proof of a "claim" of louvers not being functionally open. One reason why on my louvered filter c&ps even with other included louver pics and media removed, I generally include the light down tube pic (most recent shown Bosch Prem by Puro) as final proof. My .05

Great picture!

Louvers open in two directions, half face base and half face dome. The ones facing the base are always the easier to see. And need keep in mind, always more louver openings per tube area than holes.+
If I look down a center tube at the louvers facing my eyeball, and they don't look open enough the filter goes back on the store shelf. Everyone would have to make their own decision what's "opened up well enough" to feel good about using the filter. I've seen many I definitely would not use.

Do you have photos of that same center tube when looking through the center hole in the base plate?

If I look down a center tube at the louvers facing my eyeball, and they don't look open enough the filter goes back on the store shelf. Everyone would have to make their own decision what's "opened up well enough" to feel good about using the filter. I've seen many I definitely would not use.
Obviously, your call.

Otoh, I've read many a comment here questioning or even trashing cut open louvered filters and uncut down the tube views/pics. In vast majority of cases, I really would have liked to see a light down tube pic included as proof of what louvers are really like. Especially in cases where a c&p done and comment(s) like 'louvers are garbage' etc,, and no light down tube pic included. 'I' just take that as their confirmation bias in play. I rarely if ever bother to comment on those as I find it pointless and waste of time.

As for pic down tube of same BP filter, I included several pics (not exactly straight down tube) in recent c&p post. As well as a pic of same louvered louver tube from outside without light.

Bottom line without being too repetitive, second sentence in my initial post basically covers my experience(s) and belief.

Obviously, your call.
Yes, and same goes for everyone else. If someone is focused on louver openings, they need to look down the center tube and make a decision at that time to decide if they are opened up enough for them to use. Looking at them after the filter is used is too late to make that decision, at least for me. I have a feeling that even very closed up louvers will shine some light through them when a light is put behind them, but that doesn't automatically mean they were opened enough for everyone.

I've posted these examples before, and I know which one I'd chose if I picked both of these off the store shelf. I wonder what the back light test would show on this example of closed up louvers? ... would be interesting to know.

1678052980592.jpeg

1678053008654.jpeg

I posted (year+ ago maybe) of an exploded view of a filter that showed a metal wire center tube, like an eCore, but metal. Can't recall what brand it was.
It was Royal Purple....
I found the one I saw a while back ... it was ACDelco. Don't know if they actually decided to use this "metal wire eCore" center tube design or not.

1678054775672.jpeg

Back