Which do you prefer? Holes? Louvers? Be prepared for your mind to be blown..... A Third Option!

Fram FS2 Titanium. With wire backed syn media.
I bought 4
2 had barely open louvers (1 row)
2 had decently open louvers (1 row)
3 had clean threads
1 had greasy threads with booger chips in it.
20230304_134037.jpg

Paging @ZeeOSix This interest you?

Edit: adding Closeup of the metal chip from threads. It was decently sized. I gave the interior a through look over in sunlight I think its ok.. but enough to make you nervous. Also added full photo for scale. The FS2 is the extra large oversize filter comparable to XG2
image_2023-03-04_181544875.png

image_2023-03-04_181622548.png

Last edited:
I prefer holes over louvers, but if the louvers are actually open I guess in reality I don't really care. Luckily most options for my vehicle including the FRAM Ultra 3387A I am going to try next oil change uses holes.

Pulled these off my shelf

Holes
20230304_192722.jpg

Louvers
20230304_192604.jpg

Plastic cage
20230304_192626.jpg

I also have a FL-400S but it was impossible to get a clear picture of its louvers

I prefer the louvers as I feel it offers a more even spread of to the oil flow, although I do like the holes so I can more easily see the media underneath. But either holes or louvers is OK by my standards.

The style I do not care for, is the nylon cage. I understand plastic is made from oil products, but I just don't like the idea of hot oil or old age deteriorating the plastic case and the filter possibly losing support. Unlikely, but I still prefer the a metal core, combined with metal screen backing on the synthetic media as well.

2 had barely open louvers (1 row)
How were the other rows - got a photo? The very top or bottom rows may not be as fully formed due to being at the end of the center tube.

Large round holes seem like they'd be the most reliable for good flowability.
Center tubes and base plates (if designed right, with total area same or more than filter mount hole) don't really add much delta-p at the same flow from the PD pump - unless they are louvers that are barely ooen.

I just got a Fram Ultra Synthetic that has louvers now - but they were at least well open and were much, much larger louvers than the Wix filters I also have.

Wish they made a metal cage like an e-core, with say 10-ga wire in a 1/4” square pattern, paired with metal end caps and a screened coil-spring-loaded bypass.
I posted (year+ ago maybe) of an exploded view of a filter that showed a metal wire center tube, like an eCore, but metal. Can't recall what brand it was.

If you are refering to what looks like louvers next to the seam of the center tube, those are not actual "louvers" (the "3rd option"). Those are a result of forming the center tube (verified by Jay/Motorking when he worked at Fram), and have always been in Fram filters with holes in the center tube. Not something new.

Capture+_2023-03-04-18-24-51.png

Back