Which charger?

Looks like your particular car is limited to 32 amps by the onboard charger?
OT but I have no idea why this is what I would spend so much time on today. Nothing I have to do is less important than this. It is really bugging the heck out of me this addiction to internet sites. It is not easy to break off it. This is the only one I go to thank goodness. I have no intention of ever buying a Tesla so why the heck am I looking at their charging devices???
Yes. The charger is in the car. As far as I know, every EV works this way.
I think it is good you ask questions and learn about these cars.

So reason I mentioned solar is that I somehow got myself in large projects that started with my vinyl siding getting blown by wind. I have stucco in front and back, but siding on the sides. Well, I decided to just do stucco. Then wife said, let’s do some backyard work, and somehow solar panels ended up in that mix too.
So I was thinking since I am considerably making my wallet lighter, I might as well do EV charger, because why not?
House is relatively new, 2014 built. We are first owners and electric system is obviously newer. Solar will be connected to utilities like most are. Nothing special, no powerwalls etc.
I will delay decision on EV charger until we get vehicle.
The charger is in the vehicle. All you need to do is plug it in.
Post #17 explains it. My friend Debbie with her drop dead gorgeous i8 just plugs into a 110V.

The only difference is how fast you can charge. If 4 MPH is fast enough then 110V works. Otherwise you need a 240V line.

The charger is in the vehicle. All you need to do is plug it in.
Post #17 explains it. My friend Debbie with her drop dead gorgeous i8 just plugs into a 110V.

The only difference is how fast you can charge. If 4 MPH is fast enough then 110V works. Otherwise you need a 240V line.
Yeah, I think I will go that way once I get EV. Until then, no messing with it.
On other topic, some guy just sent me a big for tree, some rocks and two boulders for $9,640. I think I will be digging this summer:)

I recently charged a Model S at my home with my 240V 50A welder outlet, using the included charge cord. The car allowed a 40A selection for charge rate, and while I did not measure the amps, the charge rate was adequate. No problems at all.

Furthermore, why charge at a faster rate and damage the batteries?

That's about 10% battery charge per hour.

Any charging from AC is limited by the capacity of the on-board charger (typically 7.4 to 11 kW for EVs today) and those rates are considered inconsequential in terms of contributing to battery degradation.

Depends greatly on how you truly expect to use the EV. 240v 20a -20% is much better than 120v 16a -20%. And honestly if I planned on doing round trips no farther than the total range minus 10% or so to be safe I'd personally be more than fine with even 3.8kw charging. That's if I were to drive an inefficient SUV, not a super efficient model 3 or y which can go almost twice the distance compared to the biggest electric SUV. But the cost difference is minimal between the options until you get to 50 and once again until you go up to 80a. 32a EVSE's are typically the best value for money. I'd get no more than 50a since it's useless.

80a is very fast but almost all EV's don't have onboard AC charging that fast except tesla offering dual chargers for a very short time before and probably some others i don't know but the list is so small it's not even worth talking about.

Honestly anything that isn't 120v is good enough for most people. Even me seeing that i drive no more than 40 miles daily and have at least 10 hours to charge with. Come home from a long trip at 10pm with 20 miles left you can charge up around 75-85 miles in those 10 hours at night with 3.8kw charging and be at 100 or so miles when you leave at 8am (with an inefficient SUV). That should be enough to get to work and back home then go to dinner with the family and be back with just enough range to plug in for maybe 12 hours and get 96 miles or so added back in. Until you reach 65% percent so the battery stays as healthy as can be. And when you need more range expedition charge it to 90-100%.

Realistically I wouldn't go below 32a nor would i ever go over 50a. Outside of that range it doesn't make sense cost wise if you see it as dollars per KW charging speed. And practically speaking even 3.8kw charging isn't that bad unless you a drive a ton every day and/or drive that EV like you stole it which I wouldn't blame anyone for doing. I've done it myself in a dual motor model y I test drove. It's too much fun.

If I had to choose an EV to drive it would probably be the model Y since those seats were one of the most comfortable modern car seats I've ever sat in. But with 3.8kw per hour charging It's supposed to add 14 miles of ranger per hour. Which would be 140 miles in 10 hours of "slow" 3.8kw charging which is still a ton. I myself would get 32a at most.

Thank you, guys. EV charger is out of the project officially.
Coming home from Petaluma (wino country) across the GG Bridge through the City and south, there was this drop dead gorgeous Taycan 4S.
Effortless, graceful torque speed. Just like this... Pics do not do this car justice.
porsche taycan 4s.jpg

Back