Which caliber glock

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 9mm full size, looking to find a compact specifically a Glock. I have set my eyes on a 23, especially since I have the ability to get barrels for 9mm, .357 sig (don't care for the round) and a slide assembly to fire .22lr. So does anyone have any compact suggestions as far as caliber goes? Mainly for plinking but may have this for a HD gun.

40 S&W is no fun for target practice, but good for home defense. My 40 caliber Sigma has an awful snap to the recoil, much much worse than 9 mm.

I think 9mm is a good round since you will have better control of the 2nd shot.

Yeah, that is why I have yet to buy a .40. I like the 26 actually, looks like its a nice little firearm.

I have the G26. Great CCW gun. Good for home defense. Wife loves it too. Majority of my guns are 9mm. With some hornady critical defense, it is a perfect shooter

What I like most about the Glock,is the rock solid feel,the precision,and the short trigger travel. I looked at every 9mm available in the stores here,and there was no doubt about it,the Glock won hands down.

I have a Glock 27 with 9mm and .357 barrels--very versatile and a great gun to carry. That would be my recommendation if you only want to buy one gun. .40 ammo is always very plentiful and makes a good self-defense round. So, practice with the 9mm barrel and load with .40 when you're carrying--impact points will be the same.

Stick with 9mm; ammo is cheaper than the alternatives and can be very effective if the right bullet is chosen.

The average Glock is FAR more accurate than the average shooter, so putting rounds on target is not a function of the gun, but the person. Yes - I do understand that the relationship between person and pistol is important; I would not disagree. But most decent brand guns are more than accurate enough for any reasonable task you'd put to it. When folks don't shoot well, it's most often not the gun, but the person (poor technique, poor hand fit, etc).

That being said, get the little model 26. It is one of the more versatile guns out there in it's class. Can easily shoot very well at 25 yards (few folks would EVER have to shoot that far in a self-defense situation). Very concealable. And since you already have the full size model 17, then your mags will interchange with the 26! If CC and home defense are your aim (pardon the intended pun), then the 26 will fill the bill nicely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The 19 feels perfect in my hands. Only thing better perhaps is a sig.

Before you purchase the 26/27 family take a 19/23 and put them together. There is very little perceived psychical difference between these families of G's. Depending upon if or how you CC it could be a big FELT difference. There is a large difference in felt recoil between the 26/27/ and 19/23. My hads are too large to get 3 fingers on the 26/27 so 40's are a little snappy. My duty gun is the 23.

I feel the 26/27 family has long been taken away from the sub-compact world (IMHO!!) as Kahr PM 9 and 40 along with SHield family and some SDX handguns have blown by them. I usually have the Kahr PM40 or a S&W 340M&P for light carry.

Under what you posted I would strongly consider 19/23 family. Good luck with you choice, and shoot em first if you can.

I recommend you stick with one kind of ammo for CCL and HD use. My personal opinion for all non-pro average citizen scenerios, the right ammo is 9mm. Reasons: 1) 9mm is relatively cheap enough (if purchased carefully) to get lots and lots of practice. 2)Practicing with one caliber ammo in one style of weapon builds in valuable expertise, experience, finger and muscle memory. These are hugely important in tactical situation. 3) Practice with same caliber and with one manual of arms (ie. same exact style of gun) is also best for average person. 4) If you have a Glock stick with Glocks for CCL and for home defense. If you have S&W semis all with manual safety stick with that (ie. M&P full size with TS and M&P Shield for example)

In a real tactical situation you need your brain 110% to think of other things than what gun do I have, how does it shoot, where is the slide release, mag release, what caliber?, etc. In a real life situation, anything about you weapon or its ammo has to be 100% automatic. Anything less than that level of experience and practice can ruin your whole day.

If you have budget and time to run 2k rounds a month practicing different calibers and weapons then fairly safe to ignore the above.

Last edited:
Definitely look at all of the Glocks before choosing a size. Because of the large hump in the grip, the so-called "palm swell", different sizes may fit you very differently. I like the 17 and I like the 26 but the 19 simply doesn't fit my hands. My natural grip with a 19 points the barrel straight up in the air. I'm used so something with a different grip angle (1911), so the Glock just doesn't work for me.

The M&P Shield is a great concealed carry choice, as is the M&P Compact if you don't mind a thicker gun. The M&P Compact is nearly identical to the Glock 26/27 frame in size. Glock doesn't have anything that competes with the Shield right now. I have a Shield in 9mm that I carry everywhere I'm allowed to carry. The M&Ps have a more natural grip angle for me. And for the price paid (under $400 OTD new), they're an incredible value as well.

I believe the G26 is about as good as it gets for ccw. Not too big, not too little, not too much recoil and good capacity. I shoot mine almost as well as my G17.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The 19 feels perfect in my hands. Only thing better perhaps is a sig.

Before you purchase the 26/27 family take a 19/23 and put them together. There is very little perceived psychical difference between these families of G's. Depending upon if or how you CC it could be a big FELT difference. There is a large difference in felt recoil between the 26/27/ and 19/23. My hads are too large to get 3 fingers on the 26/27 so 40's are a little snappy. My duty gun is the 23.

I feel the 26/27 family has long been taken away from the sub-compact world (IMHO!!) as Kahr PM 9 and 40 along with SHield family and some SDX handguns have blown by them. I usually have the Kahr PM40 or a S&W 340M&P for light carry.

Under what you posted I would strongly consider 19/23 family. Good luck with you choice, and shoot em first if you can.

Definitely agree with your thoughts on 19 v. 26. The 19 is much more comfortable to shoot for me in regards to accuracy and felt recoil.

+1 ...Big hands or not - the G26 is a sweet , reliable shooter .I would definitely have one on my short list to consider !
Originally Posted By: spasm3
The glock 26 might be worth a look. I have small hands so the base of the grip is too big for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back