Which 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got a new 2018 F-150 with the 5.0. I’m looking to dump the FF at about 5k.
The truck is short tripped often( 5 miles to work).
Ford recommends 5w-20 in these 5.0’s.
My question is which 5w-20 should I use? I’m looking to go on the thicker side of 5w-20 because I’m worried about fuel dilution.
These engines have 16 injectors. 8 port and 8 direct injection.
I’m leaning towards Valvoline Full Synthetic and a Motorcraft Filter.

Rest easy...

Any brand name 5W-20 grade will work just fine. Pick your favorite, cheapest or toss a coin.

Valvoline Full Synthetic would make a great choice as you've hinted at using.

That's nvts
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tobin28
My question is which 5w-20 should I use? I’m looking to go on the thicker side of 5w-20 because I’m worried about fuel dilution.

Here's a report from a '13 F150 5.0, using Schaeffer 9000 5w-30. That's what I would use, looks like it would have gone 12k easily.

Br5oUON.png

Nearly all 5w20's are the same as viscosity. Even super oils that use the best base oils pao/esters with high moly and zinc like Redline are almost identical in viscosity as m1. I suggest you try a couple and see what you like. The difference is some of those super oils will make that engine butter smooth when other 5w20's it will sound loud with the exact same viscosity. At our forum that has engine with mds and were told we "had" to use twenty weight, about 1/2 of the members use 5w30 or higher. You can use a great 5w30 like PUP and it will be as smooth as the 5w20 super oils out there that are real synthetic and not some random group 3.

The truth is very soon when gf-6 hits all oils will be very similar, low additive low viscosity all because they want to satisfy people driving the eco boosts and Obama fans with the gas mileage deal. So unless you leave the api donut just buy the cheapest oil you can, I am a big fan out costco deal m1. Or just go up in weight and gain a little metal protection, if money is no object PUP is a nice 5w30 with a clean GtL base oil and high detergency. People with v8's might want to opt out of modern oils that are being made more for di turbo's, 4 bangers with tiny tolerances, and the gov't wanting fuel mileage and no care to metal protection. Of course, just making the decision to run a 5w30 overcomes a lot of the sparceness you get from 5w20. Or try some of the super oils in 20 weight that are pao/ester based. They are putting every body in the same bag with their oil formulations, I personally think they are leaving guys with v8's from any consideration. 15 years ago if someone told someone with a v8 to use 20 weight, they would tell them to get the ph out of here. I say nothing has changed, it is your equipment now your choice.

Which ever oil marketing seems to get you engine running with the proper specs any quality oil is oil.

I believe the 5.0 comes equipped with an oil cooler, so 0w-20 should be ok. If you want a thick 20 step up to a resource conserving 5w-30. If you plan to beat on the engine with towing or whatever go up to an acea A3/B4 30 or 40

No surprise but M1 EP at 6k has been great in my 2015 F150. Frankly if it weren’t good that would be the news. I average 10k a year on that truck. Mostly highway but I get her in a lot of snow and -5 to -20 in northern NH. I’d love to say my M-1 is better but there are A lot of oils that will do the same. A few at better price point. I choose mine and am confident.

Edit: 5.0 Coyote

Last edited:
... I’m looking to go on the thicker side of 5w-20 because I’m worried about fuel dilution ...

Pennzoil Platinum 5Wx30
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
I believe the 5.0 comes equipped with an oil cooler, so 0w-20 should be ok. If you want a thick 20 step up to a resource conserving 5w-30. If you plan to beat on the engine with towing or whatever go up to an acea A3/B4 30 or 40

Oil temps would be a benefit before offering advice. Because on my former Ram oil temps would rarely exceed 230F and temps would cool to below 220F within minutes of non hard acceleration. I believe the F150 has extra oil capacity this should be factored also.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010

It only comes with the oil cooler if he got the tow package, most ford trucks with 3.5/5.0 on the lot have it.

* PPPP 5W30 D1 Gen 2 is an interesting oil : Viscosity @ 100° C is 9.8 Viscosity Index is 170 and I guess HTHS is around 2.9 . It also meets not only A1/B1 but also A5/B5 so it will hold up well against fuel dilution ... This is a thin 30W synthetic that should hold up well in GDI engines - great for those on the fence about switching from a 5W20 up to a 5W30 synthetic. Time will tell if it is heavy enough to provide the needed film strength in Hyundai / Kia engines (i.e. tick of death / #2 bearing failures) but darn sure better that a 5W20 or 0W20 synthetic ! .
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by Tobin28
... I�m looking to go on the thicker side of 5w-20 because I�m worried about fuel dilution ...

Pennzoil Platinum 5Wx30
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by Tobin28
... I�m looking to go on the thicker side of 5w-20 because I�m worried about fuel dilution ...

Pennzoil Platinum 5Wx30
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back