Which 5w-20 if cost was not an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I am going to stick with 5w-20 at least through the warranty period. Which readily available oil would you use if the price was not an issue for 3 month 3-5k oci. In other words what is truly the best 5w-20 oil in your opinion. Just because it is cheap would Trop Artic or Havoline make the cut? Please this is not a thick or thin debate, just stick to which 5w-20 is best.
Thanks

While I am new I have been reading a lot as I too must use the 5w20 in my SUV.

It seems to me for the price you cannot beat the Motocraft 5w20 semi synthetic and the Havoline is right up there too.

I am going to stick with the Motocraft as there are too many UOA's out there that say go for it.
I'll be running mine for 5k OCI's as I do mainly hwy.

If you got money to burn use the Mobil 1 5w20, but for your OCI's that a waste.

For the record I have ben using Motoercraft 5w-20, however now that Wally world no longer stocks it my stash is getting low. It is no longer the great value it once was.
Any word on the Mobil 7500? It to is a blend and actually contains real synth opposed to GrpIII in Conoco products.

MOTORCRAFT if you can find it.Holds up well in my '99 vick with over 100k in super hot&humid Miami&where traffic is at a crawl all the time.

Pennzoil, Havoline & Motorcraft 5W-20's will continue to provide predictable & excellent UOA's in the vehicles spec'd for this oil.

I think alot of us do not have a high comfort level with the latest ExxonMobil formulations, that use the new AW add which shows up as Sodium in UOA/VOA oil analysis.

As far as Motorcraft being a syn blend, I don't see this as a performance advantage over the others. Motorcraft is low cost, 125 VI index Grp III blended with 95 VI index Grp II base oils.

Compare to Chevron/Havoline or Pennzoil with a blend of 118 Grp II+ and 108 VI Grp II base oils.

Blue,

Are you referring to Dino versions of Penzoil/Hav. and MotorCraft?

Are there significant formulation differences between, say, Penzoil 5-20 and 10-30 other than their weight differences?

If cost is not an issue, as he said, why wouldnt you run full synthetic?

People didnt seem to read your thread clearly and just recommended what they use themselves.

RedLine. Absolutely no contest. If you like thin, it's a 5W20. If you like solid HTHS, there's none better. It's HTHS is as high as a dino 10W30. And yes, it is just as readily available as Amsoil. You either have a dealer near you to pick it up, or they'll have it to you in a couple/few days. If one truly cannot plan a few days ahead, then choice of motor oil is among the least of your worries.

If cost is no object, there isn't a more obvious "no-brainer" than this.

Amsoil is no longer a thick 20wt. Reformulated. I can understand why some don't like 20wts, but how does one argue with the data we have on here in the UOA section? It's quite remarkable how good the 20wts are. AEHaas and Shell might have a point about thin oils providing thicker films in the ring area.

quote:

Originally posted by cyclic:
It seems to me for the price you cannot beat the Motocraft 5w20 semi synthetic and the Havoline is right up there too. .

I think the Havoline is likely to give better UOA's bc of a stronger additive package and MotorCraft might be a better choice in say a 5/6K mile OCI.

When Amsoil reformulated iits 5w20 is it true that they added some PAO? Also what is the thickness now? I think it used to be 9 the same as Castrol Syntec

It may just be that a semi-synthetic is the best oil if one could only pick one type of oil for use the world over. Some are better than others. I will be using the Motorcraft 5W-20 in the Expedition next instead of the regular Pennzoil.

For the Maybach with twin turbos I am using the Red Line 5W-20 until further notice.

Price is no object. There are a lot of good oils out there but this is my current selection.

aehaas

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
For the Maybach with twin turbos I am using the Red Line 5W-20 until further notice.

How about giving us an update on how the 5w20 is doing in the Maybach? How many miles have you put on it? Seat-of-the-pants perceptions? When can we expect to see a UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back